5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB and CarPlay doesn’t work when hot outside.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Why would they thank people? It's not a "fix" for the problem. It doesn't help Ram/Stellantis in any way. I guess other than maybe appeasing some enough that they stop bitching about the issue to make them fix it properly.
/sarc

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got the 68397098ae installed.
IMG_4457.jpeg

I pulled fuse f43 first. Getting the center console out is the easy part. As most have said, the clips holding the usb hub in are tough.

IMG_4456.jpeg

I got the old one out without the front face plate. They are the same so I just left the old one in there.

IMG_4458.jpeg

And now we wait. Hoping for good results. I’ll keep everyone posted!!!
🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Last edited:

tbroumley

Reaction score
Let me know if the new model works. I've replaced it 3 times with 3 different part numbers. None of them work for me and my dealership thinks I'm making it up. The easiest way to test when it's not working is to manually turn your lights on. The light bezel around everything in your dash and console will light up, just not around your USB inputs. They know it's a thermal issue. They don't seem to want to fix it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Let me know if the new model works. I've replaced it 3 times with 3 different part numbers. None of them work for me and my dealership thinks I'm making it up. The easiest way to test when it's not working is to manually turn your lights on. The light bezel around everything in your dash and console will light up, just not around your USB inputs. They know it's a thermal issue. They don't seem to want to fix it.
I see what you mean. I can always tell right away because my CarPlay adapter doesn’t work either when this happens.

The last time ramcares and I spoke about it, they said if have to bring it in to the dealership. All they would have done it change the usb hub and charge me a butt load.

Clarky

Reaction score
Going into my 4th summer with this piece of **** truck. Has anyone solved the problem of CarPlay not working when the vehicle is hot. IE, parked in the sun in Phoenix. Yes, I have a sunscreen. I am so over it and about to get rid of the vehicle because of it. I’ve seen a lot of other people stating they have the same problem but no solutions yet. USB Media hub replaced twice already. Getting ready for another Summer with no CarPlay I guess.
So I have had the same issue not necessarily temperature related. I ordered a new media hub and changed it out myself . The problem still existed however decided to do some trouble shooting with phone connected to usb. There are 3 connectors at the back of the media hub I removed each one separately when I removed the centre one behind the aux port which has a black cable. CarPlay and the USB stick both started working. Plugging it back in reintroduces the fault. I then switched the units and voila same results. I reinstalled with offending connector disconnected and it continues to work.

Raptorg007

Reaction score
Just bought a 21 rebel. I’m getting power from media hub usbs but no data. To clarify are those of you having this problem losing power from the hub also? In other words my phone charges but no CarPlay or data input detected. (Everything is up to date and I’m using apple cords and all settings are correct.)

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought a 21 rebel. I’m getting power from media hub usbs but no data. To clarify are those of you having this problem losing power from the hub also? In other words my phone charges but no CarPlay or data input detected. (Everything is up to date and I’m using apple cords and all settings are correct.)
Had similar issue, dealer always insisted it was phone/phone cable. Turned out to be mini usb cable in oem harness between radio module and media hub.

joepaiii

Reaction score
It’s been hot as f@ck and so far so good with the 68397098ae.

Definitely recommend!
Just ordered one as well for my 2019. Here in Dallas the car play was not working the last two days on the way home. It started working about 25 minutes into my drive home.

Have noticed issue before but never realized it was the heat like I did today and this thread obviously shows that’s the problem. Hope it isn’t too hard to swap out, sounds like the trickiest part is getting the old unit unclipped from the console.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just ordered one as well for my 2019. Here in Dallas the car play was not working the last two days on the way home. It started working about 25 minutes into my drive home.

Have noticed issue before but never realized it was the heat like I did today and this thread obviously shows that’s the problem. Hope it isn’t too hard to swap out, sounds like the trickiest part is getting the old unit unclipped from the console.
Hope it fixes yours as well!! 🤞🏻

Stuart782

Reaction score
I got my 2019 Ram in February and my Carplay worked flawlessly for about 2 months and now it. Ever since then it works whenever it wants. Yesterday I ordered a replacement media hub.

Has anyone had success with it working after replacing the media hub?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got my 2019 Ram in February and my Carplay worked flawlessly for about 2 months and now it. Ever since then it works whenever it wants. Yesterday I ordered a replacement media hub.

Has anyone had success with it working after replacing the media hub?
Yup. That’s what I did.

KNON2000

Reaction score
I've been fighting this as well however I've found a simple solution - shut off the A/C Auto (basically normal operation) prior to stopping the vehicle in the morning. When I get in after work - I start the pickup and wait for it to load and then turn back on A/C Auto. Have no clue why it works, but it works! Before, if it got into the 90's down here in Houston, it wouldn't load until almost home. The only other way to have it work was to unplug the adapter until after the vehicle was running again. To be honest, just clicking the button is easy but either way has worked flawlessly for me in my 2020 using the carplay adapter or wireless Android adapter

Stuart782

Reaction score
So I got the new media hub installed and it still didn't work. However I saw somewhere on this forum that someone unplugged the middle plug on the media hub and it worked for them. I gave that a try and it has worked flawlessly, so I just kept it unplugged lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I got the new media hub installed and it still didn't work. However I saw somewhere on this forum that someone unplugged the middle plug on the media hub and it worked for them. I gave that a try and it has worked flawlessly, so I just kept it unplugged lol.
The issue may be whatever that center plug goes to

Users who are viewing this thread