5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB and CarPlay doesn’t work when hot outside.

Hopefully the service tech agrees with you and is aware of the problem. The service rep seemed to never have heard of this.

Reminds me of my 2012 Jeep Wrangler that had a common water pump squeak. Showed the service tech my video on Youtube with dozens of people saying it's the water pump. Took 3 trips to the dealer to get them to finally replace it. Had to wait until it got so bad that it was always making the noise. That video got over 25K views lol.

Yeah. I think they are trained to act like it’s the first time for everyone. Never heard any service manager say “Oh yeah, that’s a common problem”.

Yeah. I think they are trained to act like it’s the first time for everyone. Never heard any service manager say “Oh yeah, that’s a common problem”.

Agreed. Though he seemed to not even understand the problem.

Rep: So the radio screen doesn't work when this happens?

Me: NO! Just the USB port.

Rep: So the car play won't work when connected to your phone?

Me: No, I have wireless car play. Just a USB flash drive for music.

Still confused, had to explain what a flash drive was and that it has music on it and how it sounds better than bluetooth car play, doesn't use your phone battery, etc. I should have walked him out to the truck to show him.

Agreed. Though he seemed to not even understand the problem.

Rep: So the radio screen doesn't work when this happens?

Me: NO! Just the USB port.

Rep: So the car play won't work when connected to your phone?

Me: No, I have wireless car play. Just a USB flash drive for music.

Still confused, had to explain what a flash drive was and that it has music on it and how it sounds better than bluetooth car play, doesn't use your phone battery, etc. I should have walked him out to the truck to show him.
Make sure they leave it parked in the hot sun all day before they try to reproduce the issue. That’s when mine would do it. After 9 hours in the parking lot at work, no dice. Drive for 10 minutes, let the cab cool down, reseat the fuse under the dash, and it would start working again

Make sure they leave it parked in the hot sun all day before they try to reproduce the issue. That’s when mine would do it. After 9 hours in the parking lot at work, no dice. Drive for 10 minutes, let the cab cool down, reseat the fuse under the dash, and it would start working again
Yes, pretty much the same. My commute home is around 25 minutes. USB won't work on a hot day. Though if I drive maybe 10 minutes with the AC on, then stop somewhere briefly like a convenience store, when I start up the truck again it will work.

Hopefully, they'll let me talk to the service tech. I work in IT, so feel like I can explain it to the tech much better than the service rep who didn't seem to really understand the problem or any of the troubleshooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back