5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating Nav Maps - Heard back from FCA - Let's Pressure them

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I emailed FCA yesterday about the Nav Maps being out of date. Here is their response. We should all call them and inquire/complain/pressure them to update them 2017 on digital file updates is unreal!

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center. We sincerely apologize for the delayed response.

It is appreciated that you have reached out to us in regards to the navigation maps on your Uconnect system. We regret we are not privy to what version of maps the factory may have access to install on the Uconnect systems as the maps are provided by another party. According to our provided resources, the most appropriate department to inquire about your navigation maps being up to date would be HERE Maps. They can be reached directly at 1-866-462-8837 for further inquiry.

Please be advised that it may be possible that they may not be able to address this matter until your RAM 1500 has been delivered. Should you feel that there is a concern with your maps at the time of delivery; please feel free to contact us back to advise and we would be happy to look into any possible assistance we may be able to provide at that time.

We certainly wish we could have been of more assistance to you. At this time, we will be closing this case. Should you have any further inquiries, we would be happy to address them with you. You may reach us via chat or email through www.ramtrucks.com or contact by phone at 1-866-762-4636. Thank you, Chris, for being part of the RAM family.

We appreciate your business and have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
RAM Customer Assistance Center

chrisfuss

Reaction score
So as always a lot of words for nothing being said @RamCares just gives a ****...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I disagree... they pointed the OP to whom they should be contacting for the issue.

Seriously? Pointing at yet another company, this time not uconnect or Sirius for a change, is caring??? Fca sold the product they’d have to ensure the functionality, quality etc. finger pointing at others is nothing but distracting from their own short comings!

TheFluke88

Reaction score

RichT

Reaction score
It goes both ways. Sure, it is nice to have a rep from the company you purchased a 3rd party product from, head up the support for that product. On the flip side, all it practically does is delay the process by creating an additional bottleneck.

Ideal world, it is a hand off. FCA Rep calls third party, submits request, gives you the ticket/contact information and asks if they can help further. Warm fuzzies all around.

Either way, you are still dependent on that 3rd party, so more times then not, you are better off calling them yourself.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously? Pointing at yet another company, this time not uconnect or Sirius for a change, is caring??? Fca sold the product they’d have to ensure the functionality, quality etc. finger pointing at others is nothing but distracting from their own short comings!

wow, you picked an excellent name for the forum, sir.
FCA sold a product which contains pieces and parts from suppliers. the other company (HERE) has been supplying maps since at least the 2014 model. i purchased updated maps for my 2015 8.4 nav system from HERE.

chill

chrisfuss

Reaction score
wow, you picked an excellent name for the forum, sir.
FCA sold a product which contains pieces and parts from suppliers. the other company (HERE) has been supplying maps since at least the 2014 model. i purchased updated maps for my 2015 8.4 nav system from HERE.

chill

So you have issues with your ecu you call Bosch? Because they supply the software to FCA?

Paying for a map update after 3 years is one thing but delivering a truck with an almost 2 yo map and then say oh you have to to pay extra for a up to date map is something completely different...

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RamCares is not RAM Engineering and R&D, a service department, or any other form of entity that has any control over solving your problem. They're just customer support and essentially just for data logging issues. That's it. They don't solve problems, they don't have the power to, nor the resources. When they can, they direct people to the correct source of resolution, as shown here.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nonetheless, as so many have chimed in here with their displeasure, everyone should email and call HERE, Guardian, FCA, Jesus, whoever you can, and keep asking them what they are going to do about this, and how can they justify selling a new truck, or putting components into a new truck that they know are out of date and thus far have no plans to remedy. Keep pestering them, that's the only way to make movement, unless someone's an attorney and wants to do a class action suite for us all for fun! It did cost $1,200. That's not penuts, and the navigation is the primary feature, or most utilized. It's on all images and advertisements as well.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
RamCares is not RAM Engineering and R&D, a service department, or any other form of entity that has any control over solving your problem. They're just customer support and essentially just for data logging issues. That's it. They don't solve problems, they don't have the power to, nor the resources. When they can, they direct people to the correct source of resolution, as shown here.

It however is RAMs representation towards the customer and therefore for the customer it is RAM... everything else is just an excuse! Yes customer service can’t solve your problem but they could actually care, follow up, keep track of issues, communicate... instead all they do is copy paste answers please contact xyz and then the ball gets dropped... they don’t care...

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Contact FCA Corporate them. I did that with Sears once. I read online to call CEO Eddie Lampret's team and inform them you would like to file and Executive Complaint. I'll tell you, I got a call back and they certainly made things right. Skip the call centers. Skip complaining on here, and let's take some initiative. Can't hurt. Calls and emails are free. Worse, at least you tried. But if hundreds of us do. . .

Zinger

Reaction score
So you have issues with your ecu you call Bosch? Because they supply the software to FCA?

Paying for a map update after 3 years is one thing but delivering a truck with an almost 2 yo map and then say oh you have to to pay extra for a up to date map is something completely different...

I agree with you. Ram should be handling this, not punting it. Very bad showing of customer service and knowledge of product on their part.

Zinger

Reaction score
Just to add a little more context here, Garmin used to (and I imagine still does) provide a free map update within 1 year for any GPS that did not include lifetime map updates. That way no matter when you bought it, you would still get the latest maps when you opened the box. HERE I believe is TomTom, but the same principles should apply. Nothing like trying to bilk your customers for an additional $150 the moment they open the $60,000 box.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I've ran into a few inaccuracies with my maps but until now hadn't pursued how to update, etc.
I just did a chat session with a support guy at HERE. Below is what he told me.

"Updates are generally released 12-18 months after the vehicle is released. No guarantee, but there may likely be a release at the end of this year. We just provide the map data, and RAM designs the update and the navigation. Due to quality assurance and testing, often the map data in the vehicle is only as recent as 8-12 months before the release of the vehicle. "

Not that is makes anything better but is additional info.

rconiv

Reaction score
I've ran into a few inaccuracies with my maps but until now hadn't pursued how to update, etc.

"Updates are generally released 12-18 months after the vehicle is released. No guarantee, but there may likely be a release at the end of this year. We just provide the map data, and RAM designs the update and the navigation. Due to quality assurance and testing, often the map data in the vehicle is only as recent as 8-12 months before the release of the vehicle. "

I am tempted to just put my Garmin Nuvi that came with lifetime updates, that seem to be quarterly in to my truck, and not worry about the nav if their updates are only every 8 to 12 months.

chrisfuss

Reaction score

That is utter nonsense and the support chat knows s.h.i.t they are talking about they just randomly make things up to get you off their a.s.s...

The map data is provided by a third party companies like Navteq and they do provide 4 releases per year for example...
so there is updated map data existent it’s just fca squeezing extra dollars out by getting you annoyed by outdated maps and desperate for an update... my $250 bike computer comes with free map updates... just sayin’

Marusho

Reaction score
I am currently trying to beat the nav system in Uconnect 12 into submission in my October 2019 Longhorn. I have the same ancient maps that you probably have and always will have: 17Q2, which I assume were created in early 2016 based on my experience with Garmin maps. I just downloaded the "2020.10" update for my handheld Garmin, and conjecture that they name them with fanciful future dates. I have never received any kind of update over the air and connecting to Mopar's user page I am told that there is nothing for me. They also say that my vehicle is not capable of sending vehicle health reports, despite the fact that it has all the available infotainment. Ram has really dropped the ball. If we were talking about refrigerators instead of pickup trucks the words we be uttering would be "class action suit", but we are so used to excusing these failures . . . .

JeffK2019

Reaction score
I don't think updating the maps is going to help the real issue.

I am using the NAV every day for my job and now side by side with either my iPhone with Google Maps tracking to the same address or my GARMIN vehicle mount - and I can tell you the NAV system is just plain confused about routing. I posted in another thread major issues relative to city/highway but even using it today, out in the countryside on county roads where EVERYTHING where I live is 1 mile square grids, flat as a board, and the NAV system is literally taking me the opposite direction I need to go so I can get to a specific road to then go the direction I need. Miles out of the way. I travel further in the direction needed, thinking it will re-route and get it right - and it re-routes for me to just turn the wrong direction on the next crossroad available.

This isn't a map update issue. Those roads have not changed in years, it's a damn grid of 1 miles square streets and roads. The system is just making seriously flawed choices. Toggling between the 3 route options doesn't seem to phase it either. 12 inch NAV waste.

Users who are viewing this thread