5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating Nav Maps - Heard back from FCA - Let's Pressure them

DeanKing

Reaction score
I find a certain amount of irony in this entire thread. It is something like “the lipstick wore off my pig, can you put a fresh coat on”. The built in nav is borderline unusable compared to anything on my phone through carplay. The only reason I even have the factory nav is because RAM forced me to buy it as part of a package. I have a 12inch screen but I run my nav on half of it because the 12inch built in version is horrible. But I accepted that and moved on. They charged me for the package of electronics that I wanted and I paid that price cause it had a lot of goodies in it. It also happens to have a nav button it. Don’t press that button unless you want a frustrating multistep experience of entering a destination, hard to follow graphics, out of date routing, and inaccurate traffic estimates. Try being a passenger entering a destination in another city while the car is moving. I wanted to smash the thing. Just push the microphone button and tell Google Maps where you want to go in a single sentence. The thought of ever paying another dime to keep it up to date or wasting five minutes asking FCA too just doesn’t seem like it’s worth it. I am just putting that pig out in the pasture. By the way, this isn’t just an FCA problem. In car nav should be with my rotary phone, pager, and VCR. You want to truly innovate and make a better experience? Make a 12” Carplay. Thanks for letting me vent.

Delta77

Reaction score
......By the way, this isn’t just an FCA problem. In car nav should be with my rotary phone, pager, and VCR. You want to truly innovate and make a better experience? Make a 12” Carplay. Thanks for letting me vent.

I couldn't agree with this more. Having not received my new ram yet, I can't say with certainty that updating the newer Uconnect system would be the same as my 2013 Jeep. One thing I do know is, the Jeep was easy to update with official software and nav maps, and I have even used custom trail maps without issue. Regardless of how easy it was to update those maps or install custom maps, none of them were even close to the quality of maps on my phone, and now google maps even has traffic alerts and real time traffic analysis algorithms to put them even further ahead of these inbuilt systems. Unless they start adding Glonass, Navstar, and other satellite GPS capabilities, it is entirely pointless for them to spend money installing a feature that is so inferior to the average smartphone's free navigation app.

UnLimited

Reaction score
I finally have the pleasure and added the convenience of using CarPlay after 6+ months of ownership. The dealer kept giving excuses, Ram Engineering BS. Finally, after 2+ weeks in the shop for a laundry list of other issues, they finally realized the harness in the media hub was bad. But, dealer states update is supposed to come to fix all the 12 inch systems issues. Guess we will see...

Marusho

Reaction score
I learned from Uconnect that FCA has decided, at least for the 12" system, to not allow any over-the-air user software or map updates. The reasoning was that if anything went wrong at least the truck would be in a safe place, at the dealer.
Regarding the VEHICLE HEALTH REPORT, this feature has not been implemented on the 12" system, much as the OWNERS MANUAL APP has not been implemented. I was told that they hope to add the promised VEHICLE HEALTH REPORT feature at some time. Personally, I believe that is not likely.
I was unable to learn if there are updated maps or system updates available through the dealer. If anyone ever has any navigation software updated, please post the information in capital letters in a new thread.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
And here they are allowing Big Horn models to now purchase a bloat ware 12" screen. You guys should look at Mercedee's MBUX infotainment system if you want to see something right

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bump...anyone hear anything about a map update? Crazy that I am running 2017 maps in a 2019 truck with no word at all on an update.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK...update. Getting frustrated with 2017 maps in a 2019 $70K truck, I called FCA to complain. I was told that a map update for the 2019 will be coming out shortly. However, for my inconvenience, would I like a FREE 2-year "ESSENTIAL CARE ULTRA SYNTHETIC" service contract that includes FULL SYN PENNZOIL PLATINUM OIL CHANGES with FILTER and TIRE ROTATION? Something is better than nothing so I said sure. It came today via email :D

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK...update. Getting frustrated with 2017 maps in a 2019 $70K truck, I called FCA to complain. I was told that a map update for the 2019 will be coming out shortly. However, for my inconvenience, would I like a FREE 2-year "ESSENTIAL CARE ULTRA SYNTHETIC" service contract that includes FULL SYN PENNZOIL PLATINUM OIL CHANGES with FILTER and TIRE ROTATION? Something is better than nothing so I said sure. It came today via email :D
Give me the number you called lol. I want that too.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purposely bought a "non-nav" 8.4 for the very reason that many of you are complaining about. Although, I do wish I had the Nav for HD radio. I had a 2015 Journey with 8.4 Nav and had to have the Radio replaced three times because Nav data became corrupt and the radio could not be recovered. Third time was the charm though and it didn't fail again. However, when it was time to update maps and I found out it was $150, I decided that I would not get a Nav unit again. My Garmin 5.5" LMT was less than $100 with Lifetime MAPS....a much better value.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a 2021 Laramie w/12" Screen. Build Date Nov 7th 2020. Map Data 19Q2.
Basically a two year old map data file on a new truck. My Garmin Nuvi in my '08
Big Horn has Lifetime Maps and Traffic. I can update that every Quarter.

Malodave

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I've never heard of an auto manufacturer offering free map updates. Every car I've own with built in navigation had outdated maps and I would need to pay to update them. It's nothing new. That's why I use Android Auto.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never heard of an auto manufacturer offering free map updates. Every car I've own with built in navigation had outdated maps and I would need to pay to update them. It's nothing new. That's why I use Android Auto.
I have owned a few vehicles where 3 years of free map updates were included. However, with CarPlay, I don’t use the built in NAV anymore anyway. With Google Maps, I always know I have the latest detail real time.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I fought this battle a year ago and was told that an updated map was coming out shortly (Yeah Right!) Much the same as securityguy mentioned. I pretty much gave up and went back to Google maps, because besides the map being old the NAV system just plain sucks on this truck. Really the whole 12" screen isn't much. I though Sync Nav was bad in the wife's ford, but at least it will get ya where you going.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want to use outdated and featureless factory nav anyways regardless of manufacturer. CarPlay or Android Auto with Maps or Waze ensures you always have the most up to date maps, live traffic rerouting etc.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I wish there was a way to update it with the Garmin Maps.

Malodave
I used to be able to do it for my 2011 Durango, but unfortunately they plugged gap. Not sure if the same is true for newer NAV units but to be honest, with the 12" screen and Google Maps I won't be paying for a map upgrade. My wife wanted me to update the maps in her 2015 Jeep unit I told her the cost at which point she said "F... That".

Onboard NAV is a dying technology like CD players. The only reason most of us have it is because it was bundled with something else we really wanted. For any road trip where there may be spotty cell service, Google Maps has the option to download the route and use it offline.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I use it because it’s there but I honestly only cared about the 12” screen not the nav portion lol

Users who are viewing this thread