5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

lasani1121

Reaction score
I wrote to the head of FCA Engineering a couple weeks ago on LinkedIn and he actually responded to me. Unfortunately he had just retired so he forwarded on my comments to another department. Got a call this week from Steve Stander an Executive Referral Manager at FCA. From some other Jeep forums it looks like he has gotten involved in other scenarios like this. I provided my situation and also have given him a link to this forum discussion as I advised this isn’t an isolated problem. I will provide an update next week after I get more information from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is awesome. Let's see what comes of it.

zazu87usf

Reaction score
I wrote to the head of FCA Engineering a couple weeks ago on LinkedIn and he actually responded to me. Unfortunately he had just retired so he forwarded on my comments to another department. Got a call this week from Steve Stander an Executive Referral Manager at FCA. From some other Jeep forums it looks like he has gotten involved in other scenarios like this. I provided my situation and also have given him a link to this forum discussion as I advised this isn’t an isolated problem. I will provide an update next week after I get more information from him.

Any update on this?

Narg

Reaction score
Seems like a great idea for a 3rd party to create and sell well made aluminum doors to replace these... Anyone know anyone in the fabrication industry?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems like a great idea for a 3rd party to create and sell well made aluminum doors to replace these... Anyone know anyone in the fabrication industry?
Matt from B2 who makes the Magnaflow muffler bolt on is a FAB Shop.

Niu45

Reaction score
I’m taking the truck in on friday. Steve Stander said the FCA engineers provided some adjustment instructions to the dealer. I don’t have high hopes but I will post some pictures when it’s done and see if I can get what the instructions are. If it still doesn’t look right I will discuss with Steve again.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
All that is required is a stiffening brace or spar mounted to the inside of the lid. Something with tension adjustment (length) would allow for application and then adjustment to pull the ends into alignment and would allow for adjustment going forward based on weather, etc.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All that is required is a stiffening brace or spar mounted to the inside of the lid. Something with tension adjustment (length) would allow for application and then adjustment to pull the ends into alignment and would allow for adjustment going forward based on weather, etc.
My truck (with Ram Boxes) has not arrived yet, but your description of possible solutions is exactly what I've been thinking for months. Once I have my truck, I'll be able to see if any of those possibilities is practical/doable. Depends on how much material thickness and if there are reinforcing ribs in the stock lids, i.e. is there any place to anchor a stiffener without screwing through the outside covers, or brackets at each end of the lids for a cable and small turnbuckle to pull the ends in/down with tension. I'll be interested to see what possible fixes, if any, actually exist in these 5th gen Ram Boxes.

Niu45

Reaction score
FCA’s fix didn’t work. Shocking. The fix entailed bending the latch point with a special tool and breaker bar to ease pressure when the box is closed. Back to FCA I go.
fe2124284a9ad71308aa21e339c6c40d.jpg

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I sure wish they would fix this issue. It is the only thing I don’t like about my truck. Please keep us updated

nilsd

Reaction score
FCA’s fix didn’t work. Shocking. The fix entailed bending the latch point with a special tool and breaker bar to ease pressure when the box is closed. Back to FCA I go.

Reassuring to see that FCA at least published a fix, showing they are aware and trying to remedy.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Very lame attempt at a fix. The tops are warping and they adjusted the striker. Of course it didn’t work. I really like my truck and the Ramboxes but this is not acceptable on an entry level truck, much less on an expensive Longhorn. Ram knows it is a problem as they make sure to use non warped Ramboxes in all their advertising

Santa

Reaction score

It seems like FCA either doesn’t understand the issue or they don’t care. The issue is the plastic warping not door alignment!
I just ordered my RAM with RamBox. I will carefully inspect for warpage when I receive my new truck and turn it in at the first sign of a warp or alignment issue. Luckily California has a strong lemon law. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. Possibly anodized cast aluminum.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
This is the only thing I don’t like about my truck and it is bugging the out of me! But I don’t think it’s worth having them attemp a repair until they agree to try something that has a chance to actually work.

CJR28

Reaction score
Noticed on my 20’ Built to serve theres a noticeable gap on the lower front corner of the passenger side rambox. The plastic itself is fine, does anyone know if FCAs hinge fix will work? Its pretty large and i can practically fit my index finger in the gap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 121

Vic

Reaction score
Don't know if it's credible, but when I took my truck in for regular maintenance this week, I pointed the warping out to my service rep, who said that FCA made a design change in 2020, but it didn't fix the issue. He may have been talking about the hinge fix, but I agree that changing the hinge is not going to fix the warping issue.

BugGuy

Reaction score
Don't know if it's credible, but when I took my truck in for regular maintenance this week, I pointed the warping out to my service rep, who said that FCA made a design change in 2020, but it didn't fix the issue. He may have been talking about the hinge fix, but I agree that changing the hinge is not going to fix the warping issue.

Definitely did not fix the issue. I have minor warping/fit issues with mine. It's a minor annoyance. When I first noticed it, I really had to look to verify if I was seeing something wrong, or if it was just my imagination. I don't see the value in sending it in for service. Too concerned they'll just make it worse. Any idea why they use plastic and not aluminum or steel?? Is it weight or cost? You'd think as long as Rambox has been around, it'd be ironed out by now.

Reactions: Vic

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Wow, that looks fantastic. :rolleyes:

Pretty much looks like my passenger side. My driver's side is still holding up pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/