5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Tire Wear

Land Surveyor

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
33,500 Miles

Pickup is currently at the dealership after a star case has been opened.

1000 miles ago (1 week ago) I took my RAM to the dealer because the outside shoulder on my front right tire was excessively worn. A technician looked at it and confirmed that their was nothing mechanically wrong and the alignment was within factory specifications, tire pressure was at 35 psi. Two new tires were put on the rear, the front ones junked, and the ones in the rear (which had good tread) were moved to the front. During next 1000 miles (1 week) I monitored the tire pressure of all four tires and they all stayed consistently 36 psi. Truck drove straight as an arrow like it always has. I then started to notice that the outside shoulder of the front right tire was already starting to wear. It is currently at the dealership until further notice because everything appears fine and they are unsure what is causing the problem. The dealership is waiting for assistance from Chrysler.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes,

I just had the same exact problem. Front right tire excessively wearing. (2019 Ram Limited, 28,500 miles). Brought to McKays Crysler, Jeep, Dodge in St. Cloud, MN and they said alignment was in check. They said they had never heard of the problem before and blamed it on bad rubber on the Bridgestone Dueler tire. They also, told me nothing is under warranty and said I should get new tires. Unbelievable. Anyone else seeing this since this post in 2019?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes,

I just had the same exact problem. Front right tire excessively wearing. (2019 Ram Limited, 28,500 miles). Brought to McKays Crysler, Jeep, Dodge in St. Cloud, MN and they said alignment was in check. They said they had never heard of the problem before and blamed it on bad rubber on the Bridgestone Dueler tire. They also, told me nothing is under warranty and said I should get new tires. Unbelievable. Anyone else seeing this since this post in 2019?
My 19 did it and 2021 is also doing it. They told me on the 19 that’s it’s normal wear! I’ve had 20 vehicles new and very used and none of them had tires look like this after only 1000-2000 miles😩They know these tires are junk, but continue to put them on these $60,000 + trucks, junk junk junk!

kamo

Reaction score
16269042070864987082137211045784.jpg 162690432882416201153170990896.jpg I found out about this issue on my 19 limited at 34k but only on the rear tires. At the time I did my first tire rotation by myself since I didn't had any more free oil change/tire rotation that had offered by FCA. I also bump the pressure in all of them by 40psi. Since then I started to see the same wear but still minor on the outer walls of my rear tires as well but it is way less than the others that use to be there. Now I have 41K on the truck and this is how front and rear tires are look like. I tow a 4000 lbs traveler trailer for about 7k out of that milage.
I am wondered if it does something with towing in my case!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 100580 View attachment 100581 I found out about this issue on my 19 limited at 34k but only on the rear tires. At the time I did my first tire rotation by myself since I didn't had any more free oil change/tire rotation that had offered by FCA. I also bump the pressure in all of them by 40psi. Since then I started to see the same wear but still minor on the outer walls of my rear tires as well but it is way less than the others that use to be there. Now I have 41K on the truck and this is how front and rear tires are look like. I tow a 4000 lbs traveler trailer for about 7k out of that milage.
I am wondered if it does something with towing in my case!
Have you checked the alignment?

kamo

Reaction score
Have you checked the alignment?
No I haven't done it yet. I don't think it would be helpful after seeing this many owners couldn't fix it with alignment rather than messing with manufacturer setup!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
No I haven't done it yet. I don't think it would be helpful after seeing this many owners couldn't fix it with alignment rather than messing with manufacturer setup!
Understood...typically, this issue would tie back to a bad alignment and nothing more.

kamo

Reaction score
That's right I can check them to see if they are in alignment . Is it safe to drive on these tires or not?

kamo

Reaction score
Based on your pic of the front, I certainly would not!
That's true! I barely go off road and four season doesn't mean whole lot in the Houston. I like the treads of Hankook Dynapro AT-M but I don't want my drive and cabin noise effect by that.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's true! I barely go off road and four season doesn't mean whole lot in the Houston. I like the treads of Hankook Dynapro AT-M but I don't want my drive and cabin noise effect by that.
I have the Hankook Dynapro's and they look great on the truck. But yes, I don't have the silent cabin like I did with the stock Bridgestones. You know you're in a truck.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Yes,

That's a typical dealer answer when they don't know wtf they're talking about. Tire rubber is made in huge batches so why is only one tire having the issue? If a tire wears in only one position and alignment and suspension are good, it is likely a vehicle geometry issue. This is not something you can fix but rotating on a regular basis will help. Also make sure you always get the alignment print out from the dealer to insure they checked it. If they adjusted it, they will have the before and after. FWIW my 2019 does not have an issue.

kamo

Reaction score
I have the Hankook Dynapro's and they look great on the truck. But yes, I don't have the silent cabin like I did with the stock Bridgestones. You know you're in a truck.
Thank Buz, that helps a lot to make decision. Have to go either with the stock or similar tires.

probe

Reaction score
34100 miles and same front tire excessive wear on the outside edges on the the stock bridgestone 20 tires. Planning to go with new Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires. We shall see.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank Buz, that helps a lot to make decision. Have to go either with the stock or similar tires.
You have to decide what's more important, looks or quiet. The Hankook's aren't excessively loud, they're just not dead quiet like the Bridgestones.
If your priority is more quiet than looks, just get the Michelin LTX and be done.

Barqs

Reaction score
34100 miles and same front tire excessive wear on the outside edges on the the stock bridgestone 20 tires. Planning to go with new Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires. We shall see.
What's your experience with the Wrangler SRA tires on the Ram? I had a set of Goodyear Wrangler HPs on my 2010 Ram 1500 and like most Goodyears I've ever owned I get "one good year" out of them before they become scary to drive in wet conditions. Plenty of tread, but ZERO traction in the rain. I couldn't start or stop with them, so I ditched them after about 20k miles and went with Michelins.

I went with the A/T look and got the Falken Wildpeak A/T3's on my 2019 Laramie. Love the look and get great traction in the wet, but the noise is a bit more than I really wanted. I'll wait and see how well they wear before deciding on swapping them out again. I liked the quiet ride of the Bridgestones, but the wear was terrible. But swapping to more of a H/T tire next time is a definite for me.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to decide what's more important, looks or quiet. The Hankook's aren't excessively loud, they're just not dead quiet like the Bridgestones.
If your priority is more quiet than looks, just get the Michelin LTX and be done.

I'm having the Dynapro AT2s in 305/45/22 put on today, at the suggestion of the Discount Tire guys. I had planned on the continental AT, but they really hyped the ride and quiet on these. Hoping I'm not disappointed, but if they are too loud I can switch them to some Michelins

kamo

Reaction score
I'm having the Dynapro AT2s in 305/45/22 put on today, at the suggestion of the Discount Tire guys. I had planned on the continental AT, but they really hyped the ride and quiet on these. Hoping I'm not disappointed, but if they are too loud I can switch them to some Michelins

Thanks! I will take a look at Michelin LTX since while I am driving, I prefer to enjoy of quietness of my truck rather others enjoying of how it looks like . Joking !😉

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I will take a look at Michelin LTX since while I am driving, I prefer to enjoy of quietness of my truck rather others enjoying of how it looks like . Joking !😉

So far, I don't really notice the noise and I'm definitely trying to find it. Maybe as they wear it will get noisier, but they seem awfully quiet to me. I actually didn't care about the looks, just the occasional muddy level B access road while hunting. :)

Barqs

Reaction score
So far, I don't really notice the noise and I'm definitely trying to find it. Maybe as they wear it will get noisier, but they seem awfully quiet to me. I actually didn't care about the looks, just the occasional muddy level B access road while hunting. :)
I believe those Dynapros are the same tires that are stock on the Ford F150 with the Off-Road group (whatever they call it). My buddy has them on his F150 and has been very happy with them so far for ride quality and reduced noise levels. I thought about going that route (and the guys at Discount Tire recommended them), but I let the forum folks here sway me towards the Falken Wildpeak A/T3s instead. The Falkens don't "howl" down the road like M/Ts or more agressive A/Ts, but they definitely increased the noise level in the cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread