5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Tire Wear

Barqs

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2021 with air suspension, Bridgestone Dueller tires, outside edge of the front passenger side tire was excessively worn. Got a rotation and alignment at 6700 miles hoping that would fix it. At 13k miles, the tire on that same wheel (which was perfectly fine at 6700 miles) is completely &!*#ed, totally bald on the outside edge. Ram told me alignment is only under warranty for 12k miles, so nothing they could do. But leave it with us for 5 days and we’ll check it out!

Took it back to where I got the alignment (not the dealership) and they were kind enough to give me a “buy two, get two” on tires. Alignment was only slightly out of spec, so I’m worried that the new tires are going to have the same fate.

One more thing. If you have air suspension, be sure the tech knows to put it in wheel alignment mode before doing the alignment. I thought that he would surely know, but he didn’t. He actually redid the alignment after I showed him. Maybe this wasn’t done at my first alignment and was part of the problem, but who knows.

In any case, I’m rocking a new set of Michelin Defenders and will be watching the wear patterns closely.
I'd be interested in hearing how those Defenders work for you. I bought a set for my wife's JGC earlier this year and they have been great so far. I went with Falken Wildpeaks on my Ram last time, but am not happy with the reduced fuel economy and wear I'm seeing. I'm 10k in on them and they are showing appreciable wear across the board (but at least the outside edges aren't wearing like the Bridgestones).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing how those Defenders work for you. I bought a set for my wife's JGC earlier this year and they have been great so far. I went with Falken Wildpeaks on my Ram last time, but am not happy with the reduced fuel economy and wear I'm seeing. I'm 10k in on them and they are showing appreciable wear across the board (but at least the outside edges aren't wearing like the Bridgestones).
The defenders are great tires, but do not like when toe is off. They start feathering really quickly, as in, I could feel it when running my hand across the tire after 61 miles of driving.

kooz21

Reaction score
I’ll try to post some updates as the tires wear. Bought a tread gauge, so I plan to keep an eye on it. I’ve only seen great reviews and, so far, they feel great.

kooz21

Reaction score
The defenders are great tires, but do not like when toe is off. They start feathering really quickly, as in, I could feel it when running my hand across the tire after 61 miles of driving.
Ouch!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2021 with air suspension, Bridgestone Dueller tires, outside edge of the front passenger side tire was excessively worn. Got a rotation and alignment at 6700 miles hoping that would fix it. At 13k miles, the tire on that same wheel (which was perfectly fine at 6700 miles) is completely &!*#ed, totally bald on the outside edge. Ram told me alignment is only under warranty for 12k miles, so nothing they could do. But leave it with us for 5 days and we’ll check it out!

Took it back to where I got the alignment (not the dealership) and they were kind enough to give me a “buy two, get two” on tires. Alignment was only slightly out of spec, so I’m worried that the new tires are going to have the same fate.

One more thing. If you have air suspension, be sure the tech knows to put it in wheel alignment mode before doing the alignment. I thought that he would surely know, but he didn’t. He actually redid the alignment after I showed him. Maybe this wasn’t done at my first alignment and was part of the problem, but who knows.

In any case, I’m rocking a new set of Michelin Defenders and will be watching the wear patterns closely.
My 19 w/o air ride did this, with the same tires and my 21 with air ride also doing it. Dealers told me it’s normal wear, for these NEW heavy ram 1500 trucks. I was also told them tires are just put on for a good ride at test drive. I think it’s all a bunch of 💩

Kinalyx

Reaction score
Not sure what the culprit is, but this is a bit ridiculous. I had a 2019 limited, went thru 4 sets of tires in 75000 miles. I now have a 2020 limited with 20k on it and have wear on the outer edge of the fronts. Admittedly, definitely not as fast as the 2019, but still faster than it should be in comparison to the rears and the middle/inside of the tires.

This seems to be MAINLY on Rams equipped with air suspension. As stated in a post above, sometimes the alignment shop may not be putting the truck in align mode, but i doubt there are this many of us and that would be the issue. Im wondering if the issue is that everyone is getting an alignment in normal mode and then anytime were on a highway it drops to aero mode and changes the camber.

Does align mode automatically set it to normal, or can we set it to aero manually and then ender align mode and have it aligned at the lowered stance?

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bad wear on a non air ORP truck. Just figured it was the cheap OEM tires. They'll be gone with threadbare edges before 40k. Cupping was real bad earlier. Will have an alignment before new expensive "truck" tires.

DM2059

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited two wheel drive. It currently has 44,500 miles. I used to have the problem with excessive outside shoulder wear on the passenger front tire as many hear do. The fix is to find a quality alignment shop to do the alignment. Stop going to the dealer and expecting a different outcome.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I took my RAM to the dealer because the outside shoulder on my front right tire was excessively worn. A technician looked at it and confirmed that their was nothing mechanically wrong and the alignment was within factory specifications

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Been there and done that with my 2013 RAM 1500.

I solved the problem by going to a regional tire shop (Belle Tire) and forking over the $80 for their alignment. Their printout showed a different story than the dealer's and since Belle's alignment, never had another alignment issue.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I resurrect this thread. I have a 2020 limited and excessive outside wear @25K. Considering either the Defender LTX or the LTX M/S2. The Defender's are 2lbs heavier than the M/S2's. Will that make much of an mpg difference. I know both model's are not rated very good for snow but I've used them before without issue.
Thoughts or other recommendations?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they "E" or "C" range? That will have a bigger impact on mpg than the 2lb difference. What is the lb difference from what is on it now? I like them and use them, altho in 18" "E" range sucks about 2mpg. Snow is decent as well for not being 3 peak rated. I have them on my other SUVs as well. $/mileage/snow = very good.

Kinalyx

Reaction score
has anyone found an alignment setup that helps with the issue? this is my 2nd limited, 2019 and a 2020. Both have the same problem wearing the outside edge. Ive had 4 different tire setups, all do the same thing. Is there any sort of fix? Im tired of going thru tires(no pun intended)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
has anyone found an alignment setup that helps with the issue? this is my 2nd limited, 2019 and a 2020. Both have the same problem wearing the outside edge. Ive had 4 different tire setups, all do the same thing. Is there any sort of fix? Im tired of going thru tires(no pun intended)
Get rid of the air suspension

Kinalyx

Reaction score
Get rid of the air suspension
lol, understood, but thats not exactly the easiest thing to do.

In other words, no, there has been no fix.

any idea if its aero mode, or the higher modes that are causing the wear? I had my last alignment done while in level 2(aero) and it still had the outer wear issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

any idea if its aero mode, or the higher modes that are causing the wear? I had my last alignment done while in level 2(aero) and it still had the outer wear issue.
As long as you spend most of your miles driving in the same position as alignment was done in, it should help.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

On my truck when you put it in alignment mode it automatically puts the suspension in normal ride height.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my truck when you put it in alignment mode it automatically puts the suspension in normal ride height.
But the truck doesn't ride down the road in alignment mode.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But the truck doesn't ride down the road in alignment mode.
So if the truck is automatically put in normal ride height when you put it in alignment mode and will not let you change the setting how would the alignment be done in any other height?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So if the truck is automatically put in normal ride height when you put it in alignment mode and will not let you change the setting how would the alignment be done in any other height?
I don't know but an alignment set in one ride height will not keep even tread wear when using other ride heights.

al h

Reaction score
I just purchased four Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast HT tires ($1200) for my 2021 Ram Longhorn which had a sticker of over $73K and there is 24K miles on it and the Eagle Touring tires are shot! I cant believe Ram would put such cheap tires on there 10th anniversary longhorn trucks. After years of nothing but mopars I doubt I would ever consider them again.

Users who are viewing this thread