5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Tire Wear

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck, mine were worn funny at 5000 miles, ram told me it was normal and not their problem to contact tire manufacturer. They left it at that, I ask who and where to call, again said sorry not our problem. I disagree 100%. I would say when you as a company choose to put these tires on your $60,000 trucks that you’d better be standing behind them. Obvious they know these are crap tires, shame on ram for putting these junk tires on these expensive trucks, then not stand behind them! My truck , 19 ram was bought back under lemon law with multiple issues from day one. Be lucky it’s just a tire. However I’d guess like me, as long as you have rotated and balance like you should, that there is something wrong with your truck, causing your tire issue! Good luck, no one cares!
With 23,000 miles they will tell you to go jump off a cliff!

Ram’dit

Reaction score
Well i have had weird vibrations and had second set of tires balance about 8 times. I have 53567 miles on my truck. I’m on the 3rd set of tires. This is ridiculous. The tire dealer has discovered that I have a rim that has severe runout. It’s defective. To late for me. This should not be happening. Really frustrating that I got blown off while truck was still under factory warranty. Every Ram I see has right front outside edge tire wear.
Sign me up for a class action lawsuit.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well i have had weird vibrations and had second set of tires balance about 8 times. I have 53567 miles on my truck. I’m on the 3rd set of tires. This is ridiculous. The tire dealer has discovered that I have a rim that has severe runout. It’s defective. To late for me. This should not be happening. Really frustrating that I got blown off while truck was still under factory warranty. Every Ram I see has right front outside edge tire wear.
Sign me up for a class action lawsuit.
Had the same issue with my 19 that I finally got them to buy back. 7 tire balances in 7900 miles. They tried to push me off too. I was told this was normal on these trucks, BS. A 60,000$ truck that vibrates, won’t hold balance / alignment and wears tires funny, so bad they need to be replaced every 20,000 miles that crap. I drove three Silverado’s with the same tires as these new rams. I put 30,000+ miles on the Silverado’s, tires were all worn even and still had half tread life left, so don’t tell me this is normal! They have no idea, no fix. They tried many new parts on mine with no fix. Think I had a whole new front end when they bought it back. Good luck! This sucks😩

jrb

Reaction score
You can add me to the list. My 2019 Ram 1500 Limited has 16K miles on it and the front tires have severe outside wear (especially the right front). I have been rotating the tires so now all 4 tires need to be replaced. Less than a year after I got the truck I had terrible vibrations when going 70+ MPH that was cured by having the tires rebalanced (the dealer said all four tires were way out). I'm looking now to get new tires but based on what I've seen on this forum I won't be getting the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza that came with the truck (20" rims). I do like the quiet ride. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can add me to the list. My 2019 Ram 1500 Limited has 16K miles on it and the front tires have severe outside wear (especially the right front). I have been rotating the tires so now all 4 tires need to be replaced. Less than a year after I got the truck I had terrible vibrations when going 70+ MPH that was cured by having the tires rebalanced (the dealer said all four tires were way out). I'm looking now to get new tires but based on what I've seen on this forum I won't be getting the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza that came with the truck (20" rims). I do like the quiet ride. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
I was going to put the falken wildpeaks on mine, but decided to leave these junk tires on it for now.

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
Current mileage is 13,459. I've had 2 tire rotations since new,with oil changes. Please see attached pics of both front tires. The middle treads are almost gone!!The 2 rear tires look much better!!These r the original Goodyear Touring tires, 22's, that come with truck.She needed a front wheel alignment badly,(my fault,slid into a curd with RS frt). Wheel alignment fixed last Friday,after driving with it messed up for bout 1.5k miles. Now there's a vibration and rubbing sound coming from LS front at highway speed. Regardless of the wheel alignment, these tires SHOULDN'T b this worn after 13k miles! My 06 Tahoe Z71,48 month lease, 65k miles when returned 2 Chevy,original tires & brakes and Chevy didn't charge me for replacing either,meaning they either didn't notice wear or they were still good. I shouldn't be buying 2,possibly 4, tires every yr! I'm definitely not buying the same exact tire! I'm thinking Pirellis?

Attachments

• 20210323_105409.jpg
    20210323_105409.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210323_105335.jpg
    20210323_105335.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 64

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a geometry setting up front that's causing this. The relationship between camber, caster and toe from the factory are not neutral on these Rams..
For some reason Ram sets the front end geometry up strange, probably to combat a bigger issue than tire wear.

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
I have the 2020 LTD with 22's. Came with from factory, Goodyear Touring. DON'T buy these!! Bad wear prob also and even when new & traction control on, tires had bad grip in rain!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The OEM tires are a joke, I've never seen rubber wear out so quickly. The poor people who lease get the shaft the most, balls deep in that case. Get yourself some BF Goodrich, Coopers, or Michelins and don't look back

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
It's a geometry setting up front that's causing this. The relationship between camber, caster and toe from the factory are not neutral on these Rams..
For some reason Ram sets the front end geometry up strange, probably to combat a bigger issue than tire wear.
Can it be corrected? This is definitely a subject I DON'T have much knowledge in,lol.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can it be corrected? This is definitely a subject I DON'T have much knowledge in,lol.
You can have an alignment done for $100 or less. Tell the tech what you're experiencing and that you want the front end geometry set up to take excess wear off the outer edges of the front tires.

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
The OEM tires are a joke, I've never seen rubber wear out so quickly. The poor people who lease get the shaft the most, balls deep in that case. Get yourself some BF Goodrich, Coopers, or Michelins and don't look back
On the RAM app, there's a current dealer promotion for buy 3 tires get 4th for $1. Not sure what brands this is for. I'm gonna see what brand and style tires are offered. Usually if it 2 good to be true,it's not,lol. Next step after will be tirerack.com. suggestions welcomed 👍!

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
You can have an alignment done for $100 or less. Tell the tech what you're experiencing and that you want the front end geometry set up to take excess wear off the outer edges of the front tires.
Will do,thanks! Hope it's this and not something broken!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My only suggestion is that folks get Lifetime alignments - for issues like this, suspension mods, etc.
Any alignment shop that "warranties" and alignment after suspension mods are made is just looking to lose money. There's a reason most shops charge moee for a alignment if you have replaced parts in your own

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Current mileage is 13,459. I've had 2 tire rotations since new,with oil changes. Please see attached pics of both front tires. The middle treads are almost gone!!The 2 rear tires look much better!!These r the original Goodyear Touring tires, 22's, that come with truck.She needed a front wheel alignment badly,(my fault,slid into a curd with RS frt). Wheel alignment fixed last Friday,after driving with it messed up for bout 1.5k miles. Now there's a vibration and rubbing sound coming from LS front at highway speed. Regardless of the wheel alignment, these tires SHOULDN'T b this worn after 13k miles! My 06 Tahoe Z71,48 month lease, 65k miles when returned 2 Chevy,original tires & brakes and Chevy didn't charge me for replacing either,meaning they either didn't notice wear or they were still good. I shouldn't be buying 2,possibly 4, tires every yr! I'm definitely not buying the same exact tire! I'm thinking Pirellis?
The only way for the center of tread to wear faster than the outside is if your tires were over inflated.

41magmag41

Reaction score
On the RAM app, there's a current dealer promotion for buy 3 tires get 4th for $1. Not sure what brands this is for. I'm gonna see what brand and style tires are offered. Usually if it 2 good to be true,it's not,lol. Next step after will be tirerack.com. suggestions welcomed 👍!
I did the deal with buy 3 get 4th for a dollar through my dealer, went with the falkin wildpeak a/t, no problems.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually when tires wear in the center, they are over inflated! Not saying that is your issue? I will say mine wore on the outside, everytime it went to the dealer they would have cold tire pressure increased to 42-44. After the buyback of my 19, I see they are trying to do the same thing with my 2021. Tire pressure tag inside the door says 36 cold psi. Why do you keeping putting 40-44 psi in. Trying to counter for another issue I’m sure. Just a thought! Then when the sun comes out and tires get hot I now have 46-48 psi, that’s way too much for these tires!

Morenar

Reaction score
Just noticed yesterday a slight hum from the rear passenger side. I was thinking my son had left the door open and I was hearing road noise. Got home, rear door was closed all the way. I proceeded to take the truck out for a drive to see if I heard it again and I did. I looked to make sure no seals around the door were popped off. I also thought maybe my ANC was not working and I was hearing more exterior road noise.
Proceeded to check the rear passenger tire and see cupping\feathering on the middle part of the tread. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 with 22 inch Goodyears with 4600 miles on them. I assume this is the road noise I am hearing. The 3 other tires look fine, cold PSI is set correctly on all tires. Not sure why I just noticed the sound unless ANC stopped working. Not sure how to test that ANC is working or not but I expect the humming is the feathered tire. Appt set for Friday with the dealer to take a look as I was already coming in for a rotation.

neurolink

Reaction score
Good luck, mine were worn funny at 5000 miles, ram told me it was normal and not their problem to contact tire manufacturer. They left it at that, I ask who and where to call, again said sorry not our problem. I disagree 100%. I would say when you as a company choose to put these tires on your $60,000 trucks that you’d better be standing behind them. Obvious they know these are crap tires, shame on ram for putting these junk tires on these expensive trucks, then not stand behind them! My truck , 19 ram was bought back under lemon law with multiple issues from day one. Be lucky it’s just a tire. However I’d guess like me, as long as you have rotated and balance like you should, that there is something wrong with your truck, causing your tire issue! Good luck, no one cares!
Just a thought from an old hand in Europe, but I rarely trust others to properly balance my pickup and 4x4 wheels. So much so, that I do it myself. So many times in the past have they been out by enough to cause subtle uneven tyre wear. These large wheels are an art to balance at times.

Users who are viewing this thread