5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Tire Wear

speedracernc

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Took the truck to firestone and had a lifetime alignement done. The wear did not improve one bit. I ended up flipping the tires on the rim to get more life out of them. Even after flipping on the rim I can see that the edge on both fronts is wearing quickly. I also have never had a tire issue like this before.
Does anyone know if it is the toe that is causing this or camber. If its camber could just dial in a little negative camber to fix the problem.

pinkerton

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Took the truck to firestone and had a lifetime alignement done. The wear did not improve one bit. I ended up flipping the tires on the rim to get more life out of them. Even after flipping on the rim I can see that the edge on both fronts is wearing quickly. I also have never had a tire issue like this before.
Does anyone know if it is the toe that is causing this or camber. If its camber could just dial in a little negative camber to fix the problem.
Everyone reporting this problem is also reporting their alignment is within spec - so I don't see how adjusting camber would help without hurting something else

pinkerton

Reaction score
After some google-ing, I may have found the issue:
Outer-Edge Tread Wear
Tread wear on the outer edge of a tire is rare these days, but it does happen. Positive camber, caster and toe can lead to wear on the outer edge. If you see edge wear on one side, check the thrust and setback.
But, it should be noted, the leading cause of outer edge wear on modern vehicles is over-enthusiastic cornering.

I was born an over-enthusiastic corner'er!

speedracernc

Reaction score
After some google-ing, I may have found the issue:
Outer-Edge Tread Wear
Tread wear on the outer edge of a tire is rare these days, but it does happen. Positive camber, caster and toe can lead to wear on the outer edge. If you see edge wear on one side, check the thrust and setback.
But, it should be noted, the leading cause of outer edge wear on modern vehicles is over-enthusiastic cornering.

I was born an over-enthusiastic corner'er!

Hence the increased negative camber just like a race car :)

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m being to think the frames were manufactured wrong!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've come to think it's due to the soft structure of an XL rated tire and the soft front suspension. Of course they did this for ride quality and cost savings from the point of view that in reality many of these Rams will never see a heavy trailer or anywhere close to max payload. Of course that doesn't include many people on this forum...but I digress.
The softer tire structure and suspension means the tire rolls over more and the suspension moves more when cornering, which exacerbates the camber change...explains why adding pressure helps reduce, but doesn't stop, the wear because it helps stiffen the tire carcass.

If you're curious you can find slow motion of cars running around racetracks with the tire flexing on the wheel.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've come to think it's due to the soft structure of an XL rated tire and the soft front suspension. Of course they did this for ride quality and cost savings from the point of view that in reality many of these Rams will never see a heavy trailer or anywhere close to max payload. Of course that doesn't include many people on this forum...but I digress.
The softer tire structure and suspension means the tire rolls over more and the suspension moves more when cornering, which exacerbates the camber change...explains why adding pressure helps reduce, but doesn't stop, the wear because it helps stiffen the tire carcass.

If you're curious you can find slow motion of cars running around racetracks with the tire flexing on the wheel.

I agree with all of that, but mine as has had a vibration and balance issue since day 1!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with all of that, but mine as has had a vibration and balance issue since day 1!
Yeah...I've read a few posts about people having flat out bad tires and their vibrations go away when the tires get replaced.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah...I've read a few posts about people having flat out bad tires and their vibrations go away when the tires get replaced.

Nope, several people on here have had tires / rims replaced several times and are still having issues!

arvinc

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
33,500 Miles

Pickup is currently at the dealership after a star case has been opened.

1000 miles ago (1 week ago) I took my RAM to the dealer because the outside shoulder on my front right tire was excessively worn. A technician looked at it and confirmed that their was nothing mechanically wrong and the alignment was within factory specifications, tire pressure was at 35 psi. Two new tires were put on the rear, the front ones junked, and the ones in the rear (which had good tread) were moved to the front. During next 1000 miles (1 week) I monitored the tire pressure of all four tires and they all stayed consistently 36 psi. Truck drove straight as an arrow like it always has. I then started to notice that the outside shoulder of the front right tire was already starting to wear. It is currently at the dealership until further notice because everything appears fine and they are unsure what is causing the problem. The dealership is waiting for assistance from Chrysler.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
I,m having the same problem, Had alignment checked. didn't help. Had 70000 on 2015 chevy with original tires. I like the ram but if they can't find the problem guess I'll have to switch back to GM.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I,m having the same problem, Had alignment checked. didn't help. Had 70000 on 2015 chevy with original tires. I like the ram but if they can't find the problem guess I'll have to switch back to GM.
Good luck with ram and their garbage dealerships. They have all ran me through the ringer. I was told from the beginning that ram would not put new rims or tires on this truck under warranty. Mine were starting to be chewed up at 1500 miles and they told me it’s normal wear! Times and tires been off truck about 20 times now. Been balanced 7 times all in 10,000 miles. Rack and pinion been replace, new axles, tried new rims and tires, tried new driveshaft. Ram sent their trained representative to fix it. He agreed that something is wrong with my truck after 2 dealers told me just drive it, that nothing was wrong. Everything they replaced was we think we found your problem. Now truck still has a slight vibration as I’m sure it’s out of balance again and tires continue to wear on outer edges. I love the ram, but not the issues and the way I’ve been treated through this whole deal. I’m looking at the titans. Just waiting for ram to buy this pos back. Before I file my lemon law, they drag their feet on everything they do. Good luck!

Attachments

• B5275692-5DD5-42D3-B4B5-58F3AF27A5F0.jpeg
    B5275692-5DD5-42D3-B4B5-58F3AF27A5F0.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 71
  • D40B69EF-9AD3-4B34-818F-00987FFD0D3E.jpeg
    D40B69EF-9AD3-4B34-818F-00987FFD0D3E.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 66

kittyjo

Reaction score
Had my stock tires wear weirdly on outside and middle but then again I rotate them every 7k miles they lasted 26k miles now I got nitto ridge grapplers 35/12.5/20 and hope they wear evenly. Now I know what to look for if they wear unevenly..

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this happening on both of my front tires (stock Bridgestones) for a little while. I bumped pressure up to 38 psi on front and it seems to have resolved additional wear. My truck has 22,000 miles and I have only rotated tires once at 5,000 miles. I didn't rotate again because the 60MPH wobble/vibration got worse after the rotation. Oddly enough, I have even wear all around without rotating.
My stock tires actually look really good and look like they would last another 20K to 30K miles, I know a lot of people claim the Bridgestones are garbage; but I actually think that they are pretty good for an OEM tire. I am changing them out this week though; only because I want an AT tire and something bigger; I got a great deal on Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus and couldn't resist. I won't be going with an E-rated tire....I have been down that road before and was not happy with the difference in ride.

41magmag41

Reaction score
2019 ram 1500, quad cab, 4x4, new gen, 40000 miles on her, tires rotated every oil change, except for normal tread wear tires look like they can go another 40000, no problems

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 ram 1500, quad cab, 4x4, new gen, 40000 miles on her, tires rotated every oil change, except for normal tread wear tires look like they can go another 40000, no problems
What tires do you have and what are your pressures?

Barty88

Reaction score
I had the stock tires on my 22" rims and they were OK until I had a heavy (over loaded) load on my truck for about 80 miles and the side that was heavier (driver) wore the middle of the rear tire BADLY and the front tire inside... hated the passenger skinny tire on the truck anyway so I am getting 285/55r22 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Will have to up pressure since winter is coming and it gets down to below 0 alot here in northern VT.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Summing up this thread:
-Rotate every 5k (rears to the front, fronts opposite side to the rear)
-Run 38-40psi on fronts.
-Replace with something other than stock Bridgestones when they wear out.
End of problem.

41magmag41

Reaction score
Sorry I keep calling my Falken wildpeak AT3W's winterforce my mistake. comimg up on 38000 miles on them and still have on the tread depth 8.5/32 nds from the 13/32 nds new. Will buy again when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread