5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect Nav Guidance Volume setting

daswansinator

Reaction score
I have been having this issue of the Nav voice being way too loud as well. 8.4" unit with base 6-speaker system. Thought I was crazy until I found this thread a few weeks ago. In my experience, the Nav will randomly reset from my set-point in the guidance settings back to 15 without a cause. I have changed mine ~5 times since mid November back to volume 3. I also have the issue that even if the guidance volume setting is down at a low number, say 3, the Nav voice is still screaming indicating that the number shown in the guidance settings is not the same that the Nav actually uses.

I have also noted that the Voice Recognition volume resets to 15 every time you push the button, no matter what you change it to. At level 15 which is what both Nav and VR voices like to reset back to, it is so loud it makes the speakers start to crackle. A side benefit I suppose is that I can hear the truck read my text messages clear as day while I am outside the truck pumping gas.

I had the truck in to replace the rear window for the cracked plastic this week, and while it was there I asked them to look at the truck's voice volume. They gave me a 1500 BigHorn loaner that had the 8.4" non-Nav stereo so I got a chance to play with it. While I obviously cannot test the Nav voice on a non-Nav unit, I did test the VR. The non-Nav unit VR also resets to volume level 15 every time you push the VR button, however level 15 is WAY quieter. The loaner's non-Nav volume 15 voice loudness is roughly equivalent to my Nav unit voice volume of 2. This makes me think the stereos are indeed programmed differently. If the 8.4" Nav and 8.4" Non-Nav have this difference, I can easily see that the 12" system is programmed differently yet again and behaves as expected, which is why some people say they don't see the problem.

When I got back to pick up the truck, they said that while they did see my stereo was out of date software wise, the only newer version available was to fix the blue screen backup camera problem, nothing with regards to voice. He also agreed that the voice is way too loud, to the point that it poses a safety issue. While the tech claimed there is no obvious fix right now, he stated he would be opening a star case with FCA for this issue.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
If I adjust the volume while the Nav is speaking, then the Nav volume stays where I set it. Even after turning off the engine.

If I go into Settings and set the Nav volume, the next time it speaks it is at that volume. Same as if I had changed it to that volume using the Volume knob while it was speaking.

That is not my experience.
Mine either... I turn it down when it first begins navigation and it stays low for duration of trip... next trip, its blaring and I have to turn it down again.

"soft" in Google Maps application does nothing for this.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine either... I turn it down when it first begins navigation and it stays low for duration of trip... next trip, its blaring and I have to turn it down again.

"soft" in Google Maps application does nothing for this.
Soft in Google Maps doesn’t change the UConnect volume settings, but it makes the voice a heckuva lot more tolerable for me!

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Soft in Google Maps doesn’t change the UConnect volume settings, but it makes the voice a heckuva lot more tolerable for me!
Does nothing tolerable for me. It's designed for phone use.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mines over a year old, never been updated, and volume stays where I set it. It’s never reset itself to a louder volume. Just to make sure I wasn’t lying, I just pulled up my nave volume, haven’t used it in a few weeks, volume was at 10.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Mines over a year old, never been updated, and volume stays where I set it. It’s never reset itself to a louder volume. Just to make sure I wasn’t lying, I just pulled up my nave volume, haven’t used it in a few weeks, volume was at 10.
Will it stay at 1 or 2?

10 on mine would blow your eardrums in my truck. 3 is as high as I would go... I turn it down to 1 (or use 2 if I don't want to miss anything).

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went out to run an errand a bit ago and reconfirmed how my Nav volume works. This is on my 12" Uconnect.

I can change the Nav volume two ways. I can go into Nav/Settings/Guidance and change the Guidance Volume. When I just checked it, it was set at 14 (which is a very comfortable volume for me). I can also change it by turning the Volume knob while the Nav is actually speaking.

Example: I'm listening to the radio with the volume set to 12. When the Nav starts to speak, I reach over and turn the volume knob. I can see the volume bar and number at the top of the screen change, starting with 14 (the Nav Guidance Volume setting I had it set to). When the Nav stops speaking, the volume goes back to 12.

Whichever method I use to set the Nav Guidance volume, it stays there until I change it again. Even if I shut the truck off and crank it back up.

I always have music playing and my normal volume range is between about 8 and 20. But usually between 10 and 15. The perceived loudness of the Nav at any given number matches the perceived loudness of the radio at the same volume number. Thus why I had the Nav set to 14.

I don't know exactly when the problem it had before was "fixed", but I think it was months ago. My expectation was/is that the fix came via some OTA Uconnect update - not a dealer firmware flash. But, I did have my truck in a few months ago where the dealer installed the Mopar power running boards, so I suppose they might have updated firmware at that time that affected the Uconnect.

I don't know what to tell you whose Nav Guidance volume still doesn't work right, except that if you have the 12" Uconnect, it definitely CAN be made to work right...

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will it stay at 1 or 2?

10 on mine would blow your eardrums in my truck. 3 is as high as I would go... I turn it down to 1 (or use 2 if I don't want to miss anything).
I’ve seen your posts, something entirely different about your setup. 10 in mine is normal conversation over music playing.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mark,

Has there been an update or any progress on this issue?

Hi Rich,

Would you mind providing me with your VIN via PM? I would be happy to look into this further for you to determine how to best assist at this point.

Mark
RamCares

PaGregSS

Reaction score
I turn mine down to 2. Anything over 5 is annoying. When it resets itself to 15, it about scares the crap out of me the next time I use it.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I turn mine down to 2. Anything over 5 is annoying. When it resets itself to 15, it about scares the crap out of me the next time I use it.
Ding, ding, ding!

That's mine too... I've learned to immediately turn it to 1 - no more startling nav blast.

Rich

Reaction score
On mine, to test it, the truck has to be shut off for about 10 or more minutes for it to reset to 15. You can't test it by simply shutting off the engine, then restarting it.

Last edited:

Rich

Reaction score
Hi Rich,

Would you mind providing me with your VIN via PM? I would be happy to look into this further for you to determine how to best assist at this point.

Mark
RamCares

Hi Mark,

I just sent you a PM with my VIN and also a case number from back in February when I first communicated this issue. I'd love to know if any changes or progress has been made to this annoying issue.

Obviously I'm not the only one! :)

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I just sent you a PM with my VIN and also a case number from back in February when I first communicated this issue. I'd love to know if any changes or progress has been made to this annoying issue.

Please update thread with your progress... You might be the best test case (that I've found)

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thank you for following up with me, Rich. Just had a chance to respond!

Mark
RamCares

Reaction score
I Still have the same issue. I listen to music at a low volume, but then the Nav shouts at the top of her lungs trying to scare me off the road. This is a good candidate item for a software release/fix. ;-)

Does anyone know if this has ever been fixed?
[/QUOTE

Users who are viewing this thread