5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 is much better but…

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Thanks for still trying to figure this lighting out. As hard as I try I can't get a second click on the dial. One click changes the Dash Light and Uconnect Lights. No Overhead Lights or Footwell Lights. Maybe the Big Horns come with less accessories than I antiscipated?
Sorry we can’t get this figured out. Wonder if they put the wrong dial/switch in yours since you only have 1 dial and should be able to turn on your interior lights with it(at least I would think so). Unless there’s another way to turn all your interior lights on at once without the doors opened.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Thanks for still trying to figure this lighting out. As hard as I try I can't get a second click on the dial. One click changes the Dash Light and Uconnect Lights. No Overhead Lights or Footwell Lights. Maybe the Big Horns come with less accessories than I antiscipated?
Do you not have the rocker switch on the overhead console? In the centre position the interior lights come on with the doors, left position turns interior lights on and right position turns interior lights off even when doors are open. (i might have the left and right positions mixed up)

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Do you not have the rocker switch on the overhead console? In the centre position the interior lights come on with the doors, left position turns interior lights on and right position turns interior lights off even when doors are open. (i might have the left and right positions mixed up)
His problem is he can’t dim the radio at night. It stays on full bright but should be able to dim with the dial/wheel. Post starts on page 7.

2022 RAM 2500 with UConnect 5. Trying to get my screen to switch to night mode. Had to drive 50+ miles in unfamiliar territory and was constantly blinded by the bright screen. I know I can reduce the dash lights on the switch next to the Headlights, but I don't want to reduce the dash lights, just have the UConnect Screen go into night mode. My cheap $100 aftermarket radio in my last vehicle did this automatically.

Does anyone know how to make this happen? I've already went into the setting and checked the Auto Box, but I can not change the lighting from 1-6 on the next two lines of data as they're greyed out and and you can't make changes.
We’ve been going back and forth with trial and error but no success so far. I don’t have a bighorn/lonestar(if in texas) so can’t troubleshoot with mine.

And you’re right that we have the rocker switch for interior lights. Totally forgot that switch but don’t think that’ll help his issue as his interiors aren’t on all the time.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
His problem is he can’t dim the radio at night. It stays on full bright but should be able to dim with the dial/wheel. Post starts on page 7.
Ah I see. I cannot dim just the radio screen either, both it and the dash screen/ guages go together.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Ah I see. I cannot dim just the radio screen either, both it and the dash screen/ guages go together.
Can you dim your radio when you dim the dash? Also do you have 1 or 2 wheels? I have 2 which is different from the bighorn/Lonestar.

@ScubaZ66 incase rebel has a possible answer for you I’ve included you here.

7082F7C4-435B-4FEC-A536-E50FF2C7266A.jpeg

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I have one wheel. Moving it down 1 click at night dims the dash and screen together. During the day when headlights are off the dash and screen are full brightness

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
I'll have to check that! Haven't messed the overhead lights yet.... LOL Still trying to figure out other areas.....

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I'll check my overhead console sometime later today and post back if this fixed my problem.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score

We’ve been going back and forth with trial and error but no success so far. I don’t have a bighorn/lonestar(if in texas) so can’t troubleshoot with mine.

And you’re right that we have the rocker switch for interior lights. Totally forgot that switch but don’t think that’ll help his issue as his interiors aren’t on all the time.
Just checked my lights again. Rebel is correct regarding the overhead switch. Three positions. Left is Off, Right is On. Center allows the lights to come on when the door is opened. however, this switch hasn't anything to do with the brightness of the dash lights or UConnect Screen.

Dial switch (on dash next to light switch) only has one click on the north end or up position that sets the dash lights and UConnect screen to the brightest position. Anything below this notch dims the same dash lights and Uconnect screen.

The question involves the Set Up withing the Uconnect 5 System. In the Display Setup, you can choose Auto or Manual. In the Auto Mode nothing changes. In most vehicles Auto Mode changes the Radio screen to a darker mode so the driver isn't blinded at night. Anyone who uses Nav at night understands how the screen changes to night mode during night drives. It works much like your cell phone where you have a night screen and a day screen.

You can manually set the screen to be either in Light Mode or Dark Mode and change the brightness with Headlight On or Headlights Off. However, come nighttime the Uconnect Screen doesn't change to night mode.

You would think Auto Mode would automatically change the screen mode to Light Mode during the day and Night Mode during the night, but that would be too simple to an engineer or a programmer.

To override the system I just put in in Auto Mode and selected Dark Screen Mode and turned the dial up to the brightest position past the click. Not the ultimate set up on a $65K truck, but oh well!!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just checked my lights again. Rebel is correct regarding the overhead switch. Three positions. Left is Off, Right is On. Center allows the lights to come on when the door is opened. however, this switch hasn't anything to do with the brightness of the dash lights or UConnect Screen.

Dial switch (on dash next to light switch) only has one click on the north end or up position that sets the dash lights and UConnect screen to the brightest position. Anything below this notch dims the same dash lights and Uconnect screen.

The question involves the Set Up withing the Uconnect 5 System. In the Display Setup, you can choose Auto or Manual. In the Auto Mode nothing changes. In most vehicles Auto Mode changes the Radio screen to a darker mode so the driver isn't blinded at night. Anyone who uses Nav at night understands how the screen changes to night mode during night drives. It works much like your cell phone where you have a night screen and a day screen.

You can manually set the screen to be either in Light Mode or Dark Mode and change the brightness with Headlight On or Headlights Off. However, come nighttime the Uconnect Screen doesn't change to night mode.

You would think Auto Mode would automatically change the screen mode to Light Mode during the day and Night Mode during the night, but that would be too simple to an engineer or a programmer.

To override the system I just put in in Auto Mode and selected Dark Screen Mode and turned the dial up to the brightest position past the click. Not the ultimate set up on a $65K truck, but oh well!!
What software version are you on. I had this same issue with not switching between the white and black background when the headlights were on or off on an older version of UC5 I was testing.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

Mine from day 1 and last 4 software versions changed automatically between light and dark as long as I had auto selected for themes. If it’s set to light it won’t change, same for dark. I have both display and theme set to auto.

Maybe a factory reset would help. It’s frustrating because you have to setup all your setting, profiles and presets again but it has fixed other issues for people.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
What software version are you on. I had this same issue with not switching between the white and black background when the headlights were on or off on an older version of UC5 I was testing.
Hey Jimmy how’s it going with the uc5 upgrade going?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Jimmy how’s it going with the uc5 upgrade going?
It’s going alright, not enough to recommend anyone do it yet. I’ve got it running on my 2017, so I’m just kind of following along with all the glitches you guys are reporting so I can tell if some of the quirks I’m having are just inherent glitches that are “normal”, or actual problems because it’s in a 4th gen BCM truck.
There’s another member testing it in his 2019 as we speak, so hopefully he has some good news this weekend that’s more geared towards the 2019+ owners.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
I'll have to check. I know the system just completed an update a couple days ago and I haven't had an opportunity to reprogram anything. Thanks for that advise! I'll give it a try...... If all fails I'll do a Factory Reset

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
I need to do a bit more testing but I have noticed a pattern with my 22 uconnect. I think the bluetooth is causing the system to crash. Each time I have been using android auto. It works wonderfully then just out of nowhere the entire system will freeze up and then end in a reboot. If i recall when i used the type c connector and had the thing plugged in it worked fine. But usually when the bluetooth breaks..i will not be able to connect it until the system does a complete shut down. this also messes up the wifi networks scanner. As well as my coolant temp gauge on the offroad pages will dissapear. I will keep messing with it but I am wondering if anyone has had this same pattern of events. So for ****s and giggles i ran with no phone connection tonight and had no issues. I will keep dicking with different conditions to see if I can break it. The dealer is replacing the bluetooth/wifi antenna on monday...but I think this is more of a software thing than anything. I will check the fuses tomorrow to eliminate that as a possibility. Also I am curious on what the latest update is. Unconnect says I am on the latest version but part of me does not believe that

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
My system just updated a few days ago over the air. I haven't check which version I now have but would assume the most current version.

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
So after my last post leading up to the dealer visit..after the shenanigans..the system was working perfectly and everything was doing what it should. But they still wanted to change out the bluetooth/wifi antenna event though i think it was not really causing the problem. Since then the system has been working except for the coolant temp gauge on the offroad pages. However..I have been letting the phone do its thing to connect to the truck. So far it has dropped signal one time but picked back up automatically without the system crashing so i can't link that to anything but an anomaly. I may try a reset to see if I can get the Coolant temp gauge on the offroad pages to pick up again. Still appears to be the same version of software which of course I do not have and am too lazy to go outside right now and look at the screen. Other than these few minor things the system has been running as intended.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
My system just updated a few days ago over the air. I haven't check which version I now have but would assume the most current version.

So after my last post leading up to the dealer visit..after the shenanigans..the system was working perfectly and everything was doing what it should. But they still wanted to change out the bluetooth/wifi antenna event though i think it was not really causing the problem. Since then the system has been working except for the coolant temp gauge on the offroad pages. However..I have been letting the phone do its thing to connect to the truck. So far it has dropped signal one time but picked back up automatically without the system crashing so i can't link that to anything but an anomaly. I may try a reset to see if I can get the Coolant temp gauge on the offroad pages to pick up again. Still appears to be the same version of software which of course I do not have and am too lazy to go outside right now and look at the screen. Other than these few minor things the system has been running as intended.
Guys if you could add a signature so that anyone trying to help can see basic information on your truck. At a minimum Year/Trim/Radio Size (some like me even add software version so people will know if you‘re updated) and any other info you’d like to add can help and save multiple questions or incorrect answers due to different trim levels/radio sizes.

Click on your name at the top and select signature to add.

Just a suggestion/thought.

JanelleKapp

Reaction score
Check your software version, if it ends in .5 you need to update to .6. In my case it seems to have fixed many issues. The truck should update on its own.
I purchased a 22 Ram 1500 Rebel back in mid November. By December I’ve been having issues with the CarPlay as well as the Screen going complete black. Shutting off the truck usually fixes it ,but it’s gotten to the point where every time I drive it something screwy happens. I’ve had things as screwed up as the back up camera come on while I’m driving forward going down the road. Thoughts? I can’t seem to have access to all my videos to share them.

Users who are viewing this thread