5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my dealer in for service 2 weeks ago and noticed all of my radio presets were different when I got the truck back. Thought that was odd... now I wonder if they pushed an update while it was at the dealership.

My XM radio has been hit or miss since I picked it up, and I usually just keep driving. Tonight it wouldn’t load again so I pulled over. Tried FM and no radio would work, the volume wouldn’t turn up past 9. Either way, there was no sound. I swapped over to Bluetooth and that wasn’t working either. Showed volume at 0 and I couldn’t change it, but also the information from my phone didn’t display while playing.

I’ve never really encountered a problem other than with Pandora stations sometimes not loading. Suddenly it’s about a 50/50 chance of any functionality.

Usually if I shut the truck down, next time I turn it on I regain function. Tonight I restarted twice with no luck. Just jumped back in the truck and it’s working again. Ugh.
27585c6dd531db49efeb078b7adea8b7.jpg

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my dealer in for service 2 weeks ago and noticed all of my radio presets were different when I got the truck back. Thought that was odd... now I wonder if they pushed an update while it was at the dealership.

My XM radio has been hit or miss since I picked it up, and I usually just keep driving. Tonight it wouldn’t load again so I pulled over. Tried FM and no radio would work, the volume wouldn’t turn up past 9. Either way, there was no sound. I swapped over to Bluetooth and that wasn’t working either. Showed volume at 0 and I couldn’t change it, but also the information from my phone didn’t display while playing.

I’ve never really encountered a problem other than with Pandora stations sometimes not loading. Suddenly it’s about a 50/50 chance of any functionality.

Usually if I shut the truck down, next time I turn it on I regain function. Tonight I restarted twice with no luck. Just jumped back in the truck and it’s working again. Ugh.
27585c6dd531db49efeb078b7adea8b7.jpg

Mine has done exactly this several times since the update. It only freezes if its set on XM when I turn it off. It’s something to do with XM for sure.

Reaction score
That is the exact same issue I have, it has to be a software issue as it was fine for the first couple months I had the truck. I don't really want to take to dealer to get the run around.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to take mine to the dealer the other day as I couldn’t find an end around and nothing was working. They told me they fixed it and then yesterday it was locked up again. I have another upcoming appt before they order me a new radio. Kills me that I had zero issues with my truck and then they do a damn update and now it’s screwed.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Just dropped mine at the dealership. Been 3 months without anything related to Sirius and other small things. I found out they were trying to get a refurbished radio without giving me the choice. But Uconnect authorized a new radio for today's install. Fingers crossed all goes smooth.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Got the truck back today. Radio works like it's supposed to. I had them throw in an oil change, tire rotation, top off fuel, and a wash. He's also looking into starting the Serius trial period over again.

Happy camper.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sitting at the dealer as I type this. It’s become a 50/50 chance on whether my radio will work from day to day since the update screwed everything up. Sirius XM loading on the screen and nothing working, no radio, volume frozen on previous setting and no hands free Bluetooth working. Beyond pissed!!!!

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you - That’s what I’m talking about
same thing for me they had to replace after update

Last edited:

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine seems to be working mostly normally again now. I don’t really know what to make of it. Don’t suppose I’ve had an issue in a week or more.

I shouldn’t have typed that all willy nilly... had the same issue the next day after typing this reply.

Last edited:

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this issue appears to be related to Sirius for me. If I leave the FM radio on when I shut my truck down, everything works fine when I start back up. If I leave the radio on Sirius, I’m seeing this issue about 25% of the time.

Today, I had the Sirius loading failure, restarted the truck with FM on and it was working fine. Then, I clicked on XM again and locked up the sound... couldn’t get FM to come back on again. So just the action of switching to XM recreated the issue.

For what it’s worth, I almost always use Pandora on XM. So maybe it has to do with the Pandora use and insufficient signal on startup? Ill try verify.

On a related note, is there any way to “reset” the radio if an error is encountered? Hitting the Power button very obviously does not completely power the unit off.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this issue appears to be related to Sirius for me. If I leave the FM radio on when I shut my truck down, everything works fine when I start back up. If I leave the radio on Sirius, I’m seeing this issue about 25% of the time.

Today, I had the Sirius loading failure, restarted the truck with FM on and it was working fine. Then, I clicked on XM again and locked up the sound... couldn’t get FM to come back on again. So just the action of switching to XM recreated the issue.

For what it’s worth, I almost always use Pandora on XM. So maybe it has to do with the Pandora use and insufficient signal on startup? Ill try verify.

On a related note, is there any way to “reset” the radio if an error is encountered? Hitting the Power button very obviously does not completely power the unit off.

my problem is exactly like yours. I’ve also found that the biggest culprit is when it’s parked in the garage over night it does it every time. When I park at work overnight (I’m a fireman and work 48 hour shifts) it doesn’t do it. It’s like it can’t get the signal when in my garage at start up?

caal29

Reaction score
Having the same issue here. I thought it was an issue of my garage blocking the signal and locking the system up. I was wrong.... seems to do it randomly. I called XMSirius and they were about useless and of course, referred me to the dealer. This started happening AFTER I had it into the dealership to have the trailer brake controller put in. I noticed they had updated the mileage on my service record in the app. I have less than 1000 miles on the truck. Basically here is what happens:

1. Get in the truck
2. Start the truck
3. XM signal message displays on screen
4. I start praying to the radio gods that it works
5. It hangs on the SiriusXm Loading Please Wait.... (the radio gods have not answered my prayer!)
6. I change to another input and I get nothing..nada.. zippo... squat.... bupkiss
7. Volume does not work and there is no sound
8. BlueTooth does not work
9. Aux/USB does not work
10. I need to get out of the truck and walk away for a few minutes and come back rinse and repeat.

This is the first MOPAR product I have ever owned. Generally happy with the truck, not happy with the huge price tag I paid to have an "awesome sound system" (salespersons words) that functions only 50% of the time.

2020 Laramie
5.7 eTorque
12"Uconnect

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having the same issue here. I thought it was an issue of my garage blocking the signal and locking the system up. I was wrong.... seems to do it randomly. I called XMSirius and they were about useless and of course, referred me to the dealer. This started happening AFTER I had it into the dealership to have the trailer brake controller put in. I noticed they had updated the mileage on my service record in the app. I have less than 1000 miles on the truck. Basically here is what happens:

1. Get in the truck
2. Start the truck
3. XM signal message displays on screen
4. I start praying to the radio gods that it works
5. It hangs on the SiriusXm Loading Please Wait.... (the radio gods have not answered my prayer!)
6. I change to another input and I get nothing..nada.. zippo... squat.... bupkiss
7. Volume does not work and there is no sound
8. BlueTooth does not work
9. Aux/USB does not work
10. I need to get out of the truck and walk away for a few minutes and come back rinse and repeat.

This is the first MOPAR product I have ever owned. Generally happy with the truck, not happy with the huge price tag I paid to have an "awesome sound system" (salespersons words) that functions only 50% of the time.

2020 Laramie
5.7 eTorque
12"Uconnect

identical to mine, the part that pisses me off so bad is that for over 5000 miles i had zero issues with my truck and literally the day they did the stupid Radio OTA update my problems started With the radio.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, same issues you guys are reporting.

In my opinion, this seems related to SW, so I’m highly reluctant to go have a tech tear my dash apart to install new radio hardware. Like others above, this is a new issue for me... and it followed a SW update.

I will tell you I have one other issue with my truck and the techs have replaced a few components still without resolving the issue. It’s clear there is minimal troubleshooting happening other than simply replacing components until they learn what the real problem source was. Not a big fan of the guess and check method, and I believe that’s what a new head unit is accomplishing.

Turning the truck off in FM mode will ensure it’s not locked up next time I turn the truck on. That said, if it’s in the locked up condition and I move it to FM, I need to power cycle the truck a couple of times to get sound to come back on. I haven’t found a way to get it out of the locked up state on command with turning the radio or truck off. It’s a bit random to me when it’ll be successful.

Holding the power button does not reset the radio. Actually, you can long hold and nothing happens until you release the button. I know it’s not fully turning the unit off because the XM (if it was working prior) turns on immediately once I hit the power button back on again, there’s no startup screens or power-up delay.

Last edited:

caal29

Reaction score
It happened yesterday again to me, this time the sound stayed on.... XM preview channel. I could not turn it off. Had to listen to the XM1 preview channel for the entire time until I could stop and power everything down and wait for 3 or 4 minutes to restart and get it to return to normal. I agree that it's software related. I thought it might be the XM antenna and I think that is part of the issue, but it's the way the radio gets the XM signal. if it does not get it right away it just goes into the endless loop. I believe it's basically a bad code release that they have not addressed. Pisses me right off.... new truck, nice 12" interface.... **** service.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
You're gonna have to be patient. I was right there with you, mad, waiting 3 months for a radio replacement. But it finally came, and works like it's supposed to.
Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my new "Radio ID" for my Sirius account. Dealer is supposed to get back to me about it. I'm pushing for the 1 year trial period to start over.
Get a Uconnect case going. They and the dealership can throw in extras to compensate for the inconvenience.
Hope you get set up fast. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread