5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Pacifica's (don't do it lol)

:LOL:

I wonder why the dealers/FCA are so hell bent on it being a bad amp? That seems to be the first thing they throw at everyone's truck and the vast majority of people say the problem comes back almost immediately.

Yeah, my dealer knew it wasn't going to fix the problem but had to do it because FCA told them to. Multiple times...

Do you know if they've checked the shifter wiring harness/radio harness on yours?

It was never mentioned to me so I doubt it. This is the first I'm hearing of this theory too.

fingers crossed i'll have something to offer everyone here on Monday.

(y)

xdrugfreex

Reaction score
What is puzzling to me is that we know there was a TSB out there about the software. I was lead to believe by a service adviser that it was a fix, but hasn't been pushed out yet for OTA updates. I've already had my dash pulled apart to fix a line in the display, not really wanting my local service dept digging around in there again, especially since the dented the truck when they had it in the first time. I would just advise everyone to keep records of all visits and other communications in a chronological format. There could be a need for it.

1997pgt

Reaction score
:LOL:

Yeah, my dealer knew it wasn't going to fix the problem but had to do it because FCA told them to. Multiple times...

It was never mentioned to me so I doubt it. This is the first I'm hearing of this theory too.

(y)

So I just got done reading all 21 pages of JL forums thread on the same issues that @RIC3BOY mentioned on the original post. From what I've gathered from both sides of the house (RAM & Jeep):

- Temperature could have an impact, most people experience the issues around freezing temps
- All began around October time frame across the Jeep/RAM line up
- Can rule out phones being the issue (mainly iPhone users @ first)
- Camera is ALWAYS affected, you'll never have just the audio cutout
- Remote start/manual start doesn't make a difference
- Replacing the Amp doesn't fix it
- Replacing the radio doesn't fix it
- Replacing the camera doesn't fix it
- It affects every uConnect system across the board (5", 8.4' & 8.4C, as well as the 12.1')
- Disconnecting the battery and doing a hard reset doesn't fix it
- Happens with the automatic AND manual transmissions (JL's) so we can rule out the shifter/rotary knob
- Happened with some JL owners after almost a year and over 10k miles of trouble free use

I'm sure i'm missing some things. I did notice on their forum though the 2nd to last post by "Bri01" said they have been jerked around for the last month+ on getting in a replacement radio and were told that FCA basically delayed the order for it because they were essentially changing something in the radio. Ironically enough they pushed their "delivery" of the radio back to later this month with an "updated" radio which is around the same time the engineering team will be in to fix my truck, makes me wonder if they are bringing in a new or a "test" radio to try out. It seems that it's either the radio itself or software to blame from everything I've read.

Last edited:

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Take this for what its worth. I had my truck in this week for service, and among other things, I asked them to perform the 08-009-19 TSB update on my radio. When they tried to download the software from Chrysler, they couldn't get it (they tried for like 8 hours..my truck was actually there another day and 1/2). Yesterday I went to pick it up and talked to the service advisor. He told me they tried again just before I came and that there was actually a newer version of the tradio software (I'm talking about the 12 inch system now..the TSB lists 20.16 as the software version) that popped up yesterday in their system but they still couldn't get it to download. I'm keeping in touch with him to see when they can get it to finally download before I take it back in.

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
I had my first experience with this issue about a month ago when temperatures were well below zero. After that first time it has happened several times more. About two weeks ago I got an error message to clean my backup camera because it was dirty. That same day, I was having the intermittent radio pauses on all sources. Since I cleaned my backup camera and parking sensors; I have not had the audio issues. Can anyone that is having the radio pauses try cleaning their backup camera and parking sensors off and report back if their radio stops making the pauses in audio? Mine were caked with snow, salt, and dirt. They were getting caked again and I cleaned them today. Maybe I am wrong about this, but thought I would check to see if it is a possible cause. Sounds stupid but worth a try.

Last edited:

1997pgt

Reaction score
Take this for what its worth. I had my truck in this week for service, and among other things, I asked them to perform the 08-009-19 TSB update on my radio. When they tried to download the software from Chrysler, they couldn't get it (they tried for like 8 hours..my truck was actually there another day and 1/2). Yesterday I went to pick it up and talked to the service advisor. He told me they tried again just before I came and that there was actually a newer version of the tradio software (I'm talking about the 12 inch system now..the TSB lists 20.16 as the software version) that popped up yesterday in their system but they still couldn't get it to download. I'm keeping in touch with him to see when they can get it to finally download before I take it back in.

Interesting, over on the JL forum there were a few members with similar issues as in their Wranglers wouldn't accept the software update either, makes me wonder if something in the uConnect universe didn't get corrupted and that's the underlying culprit :unsure:

Once they do figure everything out idk what i'm going to do, i'll be so bored once the trucks fixed i might have to go buy another chevy to keep myself engaged with forums ;)

Donbaragar

Reaction score
Crazy thing with mine is it's WAY more common when temps are just floating around freezing. During super cold snaps way below in the -10 to -20°c range it almost never happened. Last few days near 0°c it's every other time.

Go Blue

Reaction score
Wow This forum blew up in the last day. That's good. If FCA can't figure it out we will!

1997pgt to answer your earlier question about my sister. She didn't even know about the problem (not involved in audio) but suggested we complain to FCA every day until it's fixed. The squeaky wheel.......

I agree with all your assessments except that it's definitely not temperature related.
I'm not so sure about that. I've experienced the same thing as Donbaragar where it happens way more often at near freezing temps, usually between 25 and 35F. When we had that bitter cold spell in Michigan a few weeks ago it actually happened less frequent.

Get Dirty has an interesting theory about cleaning the backup camera. It happens very frequently in snowy weather which would lead to dirty backup sensors.

Just wondering what areas everyone is experiencing these issues in? Cold weather States? Anyone from down south experiencing these same issues?

Go Blue

Reaction score
Also, it seems to happen mostly at night or sometimes in the morning, usually in cloudy weather. I can't recall it ever happening in the afternoon when the sun's been shining on it all day.

Could that be a moisture issue with the wiring? Has anyone else been experiencing the same? I would like to point out I keep mine outside all winter. Just brainstorming.......

1997pgt

Reaction score
Also, it seems to happen mostly at night or sometimes in the morning, usually in cloudy weather. I can't recall it ever happening in the afternoon when the sun's been shining on it all day.

Could that be a moisture issue with the wiring? Has anyone else been experiencing the same? I would like to point out I keep mine outside all winter. Just brainstorming.......

Your sister may be on to something, if only a few people complain out of the hundreds of thousands sold FCA probably won't bat an eye, but if thousands complain they will be forced to light a fire under their engineers to get it fixed.

It's interesting that you mentioned that last part about keeping yours outside, EVERY single time mine has messed up it was parked outside & 99% of the time it's parked inside my shop at my house overnight which is heated. After I read your post I started thinking and my truck has NEVER messed up when I got in it after its been sitting in the shop, it only does it on the nights/days I left it outside or after sitting outside all day at work. That could also explain why mine doesn't mess up nearly as much as yours/some of the other members' trucks on here. Also I'm in Delaware which does get a decent bit of cold weather/snow.

EDIT: We are expecting a little bit of snow/colder temps tomorrow, I'm going to purposely leave my truck outside tonight and see if I can't get it to act up again, it's been going solid without one issue for almost 2 weeks now but it's also been in my shop every night. Since I own I detail business I tend to keep my truck spotless at all times but If I can get it to mess up i'm going to test Get N Dirty's theory about the camera/sensors having an impact being dirty with salt/snow. Delaware is terrible about going overkill with the road salt/brine so I can almost guarantee the roads will be covered by tomorrow morning and if I can get the truck to start messing up i'll pull it into my shop which has a wash bay in it and i'll leave it running while I wash it and see if cleaning the sensors/camera will cause the issue to go away.

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
FWIW - I remember seeing an article where SiriusXM sent an update of some sort, which negatively affected Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Their symptoms were, believe it or not, issues with the backup camera. I'll try to dig up the article, it was from a few years ago.

But the theory is that, perhaps SXM sent an update in October, causing this mess?

d_THRILL

Reaction score
I'm going to purposely leave my truck outside tonight and see if I can't get it to act up again, it's been going solid without one issue for almost 2 weeks now but it's also been in my shop every night.

If it helps, and I think I mentioned this in a prior post when talking to @RIC3BOY about where he keeps his truck, that my truck sits in my garage from the time I get home from work until the time I leave for work in the morning and I still experience the bug on many occasions on startup when pulling out of the garage in the morning. In fact, I would say I experience more-so when pulling out of my garage than I do when leaving work after being parked outside.

Since I own I detail business I tend to keep my truck spotless at all times but If I can get it to mess up i'm going to test Get N Dirty's theory about the camera/sensors having an impact being dirty with salt/snow. Delaware is terrible about going overkill with the road salt/brine so I can almost guarantee the roads will be covered by tomorrow morning and if I can get the truck to start messing up i'll pull it into my shop which has a wash bay in it and i'll leave it running while I wash it and see if cleaning the sensors/camera will cause the issue to go away.

If someone really wants to test this, rather than dirtying up the truck, wouldn't it be easier and much faster to just throw some painters tape over the cameras and sensors to see if this recreates the problem? Who wants to take one for the team?!

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Thought about getting some tape on the back up camera and parking sensors, but I was hoping there was someone right now that is experiencing the intermittent audio pauses that has not cleaned their sensors and camera off in a while that could leave the truck running and wipe them off. When my error message came on to clean the camera; I was still getting a picture, but it was not very clear. I thought my son said the backup/parking lines were gone too but not sure on that. Maybe I am crazy and my truck needs an exorcism. Is an exorcism covered under the warranty? LOL

Last edited:

1997pgt

Reaction score
If it helps, and I think I mentioned this in a prior post when talking to @RIC3BOY about where he keeps his truck, that my truck sits in my garage from the time I get home from work until the time I leave for work in the morning and I still experience the bug on many occasions on startup when pulling out of the garage in the morning. In fact, I would say I experience more-so when pulling out of my garage than I do when leaving work after being parked outside.

If someone really wants to test this, rather than dirtying up the truck, wouldn't it be easier and much faster to just throw some painters tape over the cameras and sensors to see if this recreates the problem? Who wants to take one for the team?!

Well I gave it a shot, 2 layers of automotive tape on all the sensors and the back up camera, tested the radio before doing the test and it worked fine, put the tape on and it still worked (n)

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
For those with the 12” screen, there’s a uConnect update that was released January 26 2019. Posted in the TSB thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4upy7823d2u8wsq/UAX and UCX Radio Enhancements.pdf?dl=0

I find this one odd, I was told these systems were OTA update only. When you view the PDF, it states the update is via USB.

I haven’t had an update on my 8.4c system, and mine was built in July and delivered to me in September. Frustrating that there’s been updates for the other systems.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
For those with the 12” screen, there’s a uConnect update that was released January 26 2019. Posted in the TSB thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4upy7823d2u8wsq/UAX and UCX Radio Enhancements.pdf?dl=0

I find this one odd, I was told these systems were OTA update only. When you view the PDF, it states the update is via USB.

I haven’t had an update on my 8.4c system, and mine was built in July and delivered to me in September. Frustrating that there’s been updates for the other systems.

What’s your take on this? Doesn’t really address the problems we’re experiencing. I’d hate to update my system and then have other things not working... like the dreaded black screen

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
What’s your take on this? Doesn’t really address the problems we’re experiencing. I’d hate to update my system and then have other things not working... like the dreaded black screen

Ugh, not sure to be honest. When you look up the other TSBs on the thread, it specifically outlines audio cutting in/out, but it’s for the systems without the OTA capability. Even the software revisions don’t match those for the OTA capable ones. But for this release, it does. Maybe they didn’t consolidate the list properly and missed the older additions/fixes?

My radio and backup lines still act up, about every other day or so. I’ve been keeping a 10mm socket and ratchet in my centre console just to be able to reset the battery.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Holy crap. Just realized something. When the TSB states software revision, they don’t mean “software version”, they mesn “application version”. Open the TSB and scroll down to the instructions on how the tech is supposed to confirm if the system is eligble or not. I’m going to trace back the previous TSBs and see if it applies.

Go Blue

Reaction score
Scratch my theory on it not happening in the afternoon. It just happened after sitting out in the sun while 22 degrees. It definitely happens more between 20 and 35 degrees so it seems.

More problematic is it's happening more often to me as of late. Where as in December and January it only happened every few days or so it's happening pretty much to me on a daily basis now. That could be temperature related but at this point I'm not sure of anything.

My patience is pretty much gone at this point. FCA has known about this for at least 4 months and still no fix. I'll never buy another FCA product again. Chrysler sucks and I'm so pissed right now.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for the delay, quick update for you. FCA just released a new radio which is getting installed in my truck next week. Once I get more info/details I’ll pass it on but they said it was in fact the radio itself and the new updated version addresses the issues we were all having and is a permanent fix. More info when I get it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread