5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

rkjunior

Reaction score
Could be hard to convince some dealers to perform a good will swap at no charge, since it’s not a recall I would push them since it’s a design flaw by FCA directly, and not a failed part. If no luck, you can always install the hack.
Right, I can definitely understand that. I think I'm more annoyed they want to charge me $1000 just to diagnose the issue (charge with dye and monitor for a leak).

U

User_3336

Brought my 2019 Rebel in for a manifold repair and also complained about my poor AC performance. Unfortunately the truck is out of warranty (54k) but the AC has been trash for ages. Dealer is saying the AC systen is empty and they want $1000 to just diagnose the issue. I currently have a case open with Ram Cares but haven't had my case manager make contact yet.

Any suggestion on helping to convince them to cover this? I can't believe the AC is this unreliable on a truck just a few years old (bought at the end of 2019 in Nov)
If not covered, perform the hack like hundreds of others did. Involves clamping the hose going into the truck.

Are you sure you're not low on refrigerant?

rkjunior

Reaction score
If not covered, perform the hack like hundreds of others did. Involves clamping the hose going into the truck.

Are you sure you're not low on refrigerant?
That's what the dealer is saying. They want to charge me $1k to diagnose if there's a leak. What's the hack everyone is talking about?

As for the low refrigerant, the truck is 3 years old - no reason for it to have a leak at all imo

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brought my 2019 Rebel in for a manifold repair and also complained about my poor AC performance. Unfortunately the truck is out of warranty (54k) but the AC has been trash for ages. Dealer is saying the AC systen is empty and they want $1000 to just diagnose the issue. I currently have a case open with Ram Cares but haven't had my case manager make contact yet.

Any suggestion on helping to convince them to cover this? I can't believe the AC is this unreliable on a truck just a few years old (bought at the end of 2019 in Nov)
Do you have an extended warranty? I have one but wonder if that will help me

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's what the dealer is saying. They want to charge me $1k to diagnose if there's a leak. What's the hack everyone is talking about?

As for the low refrigerant, the truck is 3 years old - no reason for it to have a leak at all imo
It involves installing a valve on the heater hose going into the heater core. You basically shut off the heater during the hot months (or almost shut it off). Here’s my hack installed. Hose and clamps from oreilly and a valve from Lowe’s. I don’t use it anymore since I had the TSB done, but it’s still there in case. If this makes your AC cool correctly, you need the TSB done.

IMG_3890.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It involves installing a valve on the heater hose going into the heater core. You basically shut off the heater during the hot months (or almost shut it off). Here’s my hack installed. Hose and clamps from oreilly and a valve from Lowe’s. I don’t use or anymore since I had the TSB done, but it’s still there in case. If this makes your AC cool correctly, you need the TSB done.

View attachment 160081
I have a question pertaining to the tsb.. my 2019 limited a/c gets cold but not nearly as cold as the wife’s Chrysler Pacifica or my work vehicle but my biggest concern is the air blows very low when cranked up to 7. Versus in the other vehicles when the air is cranked up you can really feel the air moving and in the wife’s car it’s so strong it’s loud.

Would this tsb be a fix for me or what do y’all think???

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That's a ridiculous price for diagnosis, but not unheard of to be broken. My brother had a F150, that the air went out at less than 1 year old. The dealer told him they couldn't service it at all, because that was when they first changed to the 1234YZ, (or whatever it is, I can never remember). They didn't have equipment yet, and said it was too expensive to buy. He had to find another dealer. His air went out 3 more times, and the last time it was out of warranty and cost him over $1,000 . He got rid of it and bought a Ram.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 5th gen AC definitely doesn’t blow as hard as others, but it’s good enough for me. My wife’s Kia has the best AC by far. That being said, make sure the cabin filter is not dirty, and definitely don’t use a thick filter like hepa. It will struggle to blow.

Take a look at this thread. It’s alot of pages, but shows examples of temps before and get the TSB.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's a ridiculous price for diagnosis, but not unheard of to be broken. My brother had a F150, that the air went out at less than 1 year old. The dealer told him they couldn't service it at all, because that was when they first changed to the 1234YZ, (or whatever it is, I can never remember). They didn't have equipment yet, and said it was too expensive to buy. He had to find another dealer. His air went out 3 more times, and the last time it was out of warranty and cost him over $1,000 . He got rid of it and bought a Ram.
When shopping 5 years ago for the Ram the sales person said a customer was trading his truck (believe it was a Ram) in for a new one do to the AC fix, $4000. Local mechanic will only install new AC compressors, no rebuilds as he has had bad experiences with rebuilds.

U

User_3336

rkjunior

Reaction score
Now I'm questioning what the dealer did after getting my truck back. It was dropped off with working AC, now the system is completely empty and blowing hot air.

With that being said, I want to charge it with dye but it's not kicking on due to no pressure. Where is the actuator sensor on this truck so I can jump it?

U

User_3336

Now I'm questioning what the dealer did after getting my truck back. It was dropped off with working AC, now the system is completely empty and blowing hot air.

With that being said, I want to charge it with dye but it's not kicking on due to no pressure. Where is the actuator sensor on this truck so I can jump it?
Our trucks use R1234yf refrigerant. Not sure there are any tools for that you can purchase to "self-diagnose".

rkjunior

Reaction score
Our trucks use R1234yf refrigerant. Not sure there are any tools for that you can purchase to "self-diagnose".
You can refill with dye mixed into the YF. Use a black light flashlight to see where there are leaks. There's an actuator sensor that kicks on when the AC is running but without any pressure, that doesn't turn on. You need to jump the sensor with a paper clip/wire. Someone must know whar plug is the sensor.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
They do have an ac pro in this refrigerant. Wasn’t very cheap last time I checked. I still don’t know what was wrong with 134a. It was fine and not as flammable as this one.

U

User_3336

They do have an ac pro in this refrigerant. Wasn’t very cheap last time I checked. I still don’t know what was wrong with 134a. It was fine and not as flammable as this one.
I didn't even know there was a r1234yf in the Ac/pro.

U

User_3336

Well, apparently! $154.99.......F*** me! LOL I bet you they keep that **** behind the parts counter and not on the shelf! LOL

recharge.jpg

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I have a question pertaining to the tsb.. my 2019 limited a/c gets cold but not nearly as cold as the wife’s Chrysler Pacifica or my work vehicle but my biggest concern is the air blows very low when cranked up to 7. Versus in the other vehicles when the air is cranked up you can really feel the air moving and in the wife’s car it’s so strong it’s loud.

Would this tsb be a fix for me or what do y’all think???

I would start by checking and replacing your cabin air filter, if you haven't done so recently since yours seems to be restricted airflow more than a temperature issue.

They work very well and are easy to forget about.

Bwlee7

Reaction score
I am hoping y’all can help after reading this thread. I ordered and bought a 2023 TRX and the AC is awful! Does anyone know if this AC issue still exists and if they can do this TSB for a 2023?

Users who are viewing this thread