5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I have never used auto climate in my truck, temp is always on low from probably March through Nov then I may move it to 68°-70° so that's a none issue to me. IMO, the biggest risk is/was the same as it always is for me when I take a vehicle in for service, what will they damage?
I don't get the lack of heater control valve either other than it may have saved them a few dollars per vehicle and if they did this fleet wide then it saved them 100's of MM's but, IDK.
Either way, I'm ok with my decision
I and others in the south use auto-climate every day! My post was just to inform those who may be debating this decision that there may be negative consequences and that the BEST way to get the absolute lowest temperature from their system is the valve hack, which eliminates heated coolant from reaching the heater core. I would never suggest to someone who may be debating this to take such a risky path just to justify my choice.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I and others in the south use auto-climate every day! My post was just to inform those who may be debating this decision that there may be negative consequences and that the BEST way to get the absolute lowest temperature from their system is the valve hack, which eliminates heated coolant from reaching the heater core. I would never suggest to someone who may be debating this to take such a risky path just to justify my choice.

The "risk" you refer to us subjective, me, I think adding a valve to a hose carrying coolant adds an unnecessary failure point that could leave you stranded at best and a damaged engine at worst. Like I said, ones definition of risk or the "best" way is subjective, do as you wish, I'm merely answering the question of thread.

U

User_3336

I have never ever touched the "auto" a/c climate button, and I live in TN.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
The "risk" you refer to us subjective, me, I think adding a valve to a hose carrying coolant adds an unnecessary failure point that could leave you stranded at best and a damaged engine at worst. Like I said, ones definition of risk or the "best" way is subjective, do as you wish, I'm merely answering the question of thread.

You stated, and I quote, “Anyone debating it, its worth it.” In your own words, you have recommended that others debating this decision to do it because it’s worth it. Therefore, you have now subjugated that risk to others and basically telling them there is no risk because it is “worth it”. So you are incorrect when you say the risk is only subjective to you.

All I was doing was clarifying, to those who may have read your post, that there are risks involved if you choose to move forward with the TSB. Your statement dismissed caution.

Don’t know why you’re getting so defensive over this? I was just bring facts to the conversation.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I have never ever touched the "auto" a/c climate button, and I live in TN.

🤣🤣😂 Tennessee??? Man, that ain’t the south!!! TN is where people go to vacation from the south!!

Seriously though, I know it can get warm and muggy in TN, but I have lived most of my life in New Orleans and Houston. Maybe I should have said “Deep South”😂. EVERYONE I know uses auto-climate feature with auto start down here. Most people park their cars near their office window so that they can start them before walking down to leave, especially for lunch. There is NO WAY I’m gonna risk messing up that feature with that TSB😉.

Last edited:

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
One thing I may be overlooking on this TSB is the process by which they replace the evaporator coil and other components. Early on, this TSB required the removal of the ENTIRE dash board! Way too many things to be broken or screws to be lost in the process, especially when the tech has a time constraint.

Has the procedure been updated to a less invasive process? If so, then that greatly reduces the risk assessment in making the decision.

In all this time, has anyone here been able to get their hands on the actual technical procedure performed by the techs? I’m also curious if the evaporator coil has to be soldered in or is it a mechanical connection?

My apologies if the procedure has already been posted. I did a quick skim through the whole latter part of the thread and didn’t see one.

Thanks in advance!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
One thing I may be overlooking on this TSB is the process by which they replace the evaporator coil and other components. Early on, this TSB required the removal of the ENTIRE dash board! Way too many things to be broken or screws to be lost in the process, especially when the tech has a time constraint.

Has the procedure been updated to a less invasive process? If so, then that greatly reduces the risk assessment in making the decision.

In all this time, has anyone here been able to get their hands on the actual technical procedure performed by the techs? I’m also curious if the evaporator coil has to be soldered in or is it a mechanical connection?

My apologies if the procedure has already been posted. I did a quick skim through the whole latter part of the thread and didn’t see one.

Thanks in advance!
Some have said the dealer did not remove the entire dash. Not sure how they did mine, but everything looked great when I got the truck back.

BowDown

Reaction score
You stated, and I quote, “Anyone debating it, its worth it.” In your own words, you have recommended that others debating this decision to do it because it’s worth it. Therefore, you have now subjugated that risk to others and basically telling them there is no risk because it is “worth it”. So you are incorrect when you say the risk is only subjective to you.

All I was doing was clarifying, to those who may have read your post, that there are risks involved if you choose to move forward with the TSB. Your statement dismissed caution.

Don’t know why you’re getting so defensive over this? I was just bring facts to the conversation.

Pretty sure the inference to the topic of "tsb-24-001-20 ac fix has anyone had it done yet plus are you happy with the results" is that does the fix work and allow the AC to preform better. My response was in direct response to that question and it is absolutely worth doing. You are the one adding "risk" to the equation, a question not asked of anyone.

Now, to those risks, IMO, your fix has a higher risk of damage or failure than the TSB does of which I find none so its a moot point.
Me defensive? I clearly stated "do as you wish". Its your truck, do as you please, if you find that the auto feature "may not work" to be a substantial risk, then you shouldn't do it. If you find that the risk of damage to the dash is a substantial risk, then you shouldn't do it.

Again though, the topic is "tsb-24-001-20 ac fix has anyone had it done yet plus are you happy with the result". So have you done it and if not, what qualifies your answer or opinion as being valid or on topic?
The topic is not are their risk involved, there's risks of damage going to discount tire to get a flat fixed or new tires but it all depends upon the competency of the shop you choose and if you did indeed do your homework vetting the shop.
Does the fix work, Yes. Therefore is it worth doing vs them performing the fix and there being only minor changes in performance; that's the topic/question being asked

But again, YOU do as YOU choose based on what's best for YOU.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Some have said the dealer did not remove the entire dash. Not sure how they did mine, but everything looked great when I got the truck back.

They removed mine, no squeaks or rattles at all, everything lines up and no issues

BowDown

Reaction score
🤣🤣😂 Tennessee??? Man, that ain’t the south!!! TN is where people go to vacation from the south!!

Seriously though, I know it can get warm and muggy in TN, but I have lived most of my life in New Orleans and Houston. Maybe I should have said “Deep South”😂. EVERYONE I know uses auto-climate feature with auto start down here. Most people park their cars near their office window so that they can start them before walking down to leave, especially for lunch. There is NO WAY I’m gonna risk messing up that feature with that TSB😉.

I'm in Dallas and regularly drive to Houston for work, I've never used to auto feature with auto start. Its 105°, I don't need auto, I need low and if there was a setting lower than low, I'd use that. All this assumes that you loose that feature which I'm about to test now on my way to the gym.

BowDown

Reaction score
Weird, set mine to auto and max heat.

20230627_081706.jpg

Turned The truck off got out then Auto started it.
It's blowing out ice cold air while set on max heat, guess it's broken.
Cooled seats are on too.

20230627_081753.jpg

Damn truck's worthless now

6of36

Reaction score
Weird, set mine to auto and max heat.

View attachment 161648

Turned The truck off got out then Auto started it.
It's blowing out ice cold air while set on max heat, guess it's broken.
Cooled seats are on too.

View attachment 161649

Damn truck's worthless now
Auto start adjusts to the outside temperature, not the previous temp settings. It's working properly. In the north in winter, if you turn it to lo, and then auto start, it will turn on the defroster, the heated seats, and the heated mirrors. It only goes to personal settings when put in run.

BowDown

Reaction score
Auto start adjusts to the outside temperature, not the previous temp settings. It's working properly. In the north in winter, if you turn it to lo, and then auto start, it will turn on the defroster, the heated seats, and the heated mirrors. It only goes to personal settings when put in run.

I know, I was being sarcastic

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I'm in Dallas and regularly drive to Houston for work, I've never used to auto feature with auto start. Its 105°, I don't need auto, I need low and if there was a setting lower than low, I'd use that. All this assumes that you loose that feature which I'm about to test now on my way to the gym.

No one ever said you would lose this feature. You like to make extreme statements and ignore the facts. The auto-climate problem reported by many who have had the TSB is that the outside temperature range at which the cooling turns on is much higher than before the TSB. So on really hot days it will work fine, however on days that may not be as hot, the cooling will not turn on.

But now I am just recognizing your forum name and remembering that you are that troll who likes to argue and attack others posts😆😆😆😂😂😂. Wow dude! Get a life!!! I have not been on this forum much since I took delivery of my 2023 Jeep 392XR about a year ago. But Lo and behold, I see you are still at it🤣🤣🤣😂

Holy cow man, I can look back through your past posts and see how many others you have argued with😳😳. The Ram 1500 is a nice truck, but there’s life outside of this forum!!!

I still have my 2019 Ram Limited and it has been flawless.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score

^^^^ This, exactly!!!

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
@BowDown @Ram4Lou and anyone else participating in this pointless slapfest - knock it off or there will be floggings. You're trashing the thread with useless bickering.

My apologies, can’t believe I got sucked in by this worm again🤦‍♂️ These posturing tiffs surely add no value. Kudos for stepping up👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread