5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB 18-008-20 throttle lag

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the TSB applied to my truck as well, huge improvement to the response. But the only reason they would actually reflash the PCM was because the TSB included a fix for remote start issues and i had a few saved codes from times it failed to start in cold weather with the remote.

So yesterday in -20c it faild to remote start again - even after the update.
Try removing and cleaning the grounds under the hood. I did that and so far so good. Just be aware after you disconnect them you made get a few codes and the back up camera etc won't function. They will all clear themselves after a few days.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I'm assuming 18-008-21 is the same as 18-008-20 RevA. Perhaps their system won't allow to put revision A.

As for the delay from a stop on a hill, are you sure it wasn't the hill start assist? The truck will hold the brakes slightly on an incline so you won't roll back. It takes a bit of throttle to get it to move. My old Jeep SRT and girlfriends Jeep are the same.
No I have that feature turned off.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm at the dealership now getting 18-008-20 done. Tech says there's also a separate powertrain update that he'll do while he's in there. So when I leave here mine will have all of the latest updates as of today's date. We'll see if anything changes.....

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm at the dealership now getting 18-008-20 done. Tech says there's also a separate powertrain update that he'll do while he's in there. So when I leave here mine will have all of the latest updates as of today's date. We'll see if anything changes.....
You'll notice it immediately. It's the way it should have been from the start. I think all of your complaints will be resolved.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Can you get the details on the latest powertrain update? I'm dealing with a dealer that thinks I don't need this new TSB... frustrating

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you get the details on the latest powertrain update? I'm dealing with a dealer that thinks I don't need this new TSB... frustrating
It's so frustrating that some of these dealers try and avoid warranty work. It's easy money for them from FCA and keeps the customer satisfied. It's a win win.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the trans. shifting seems snappier and more on point. The engine response is slightly better. The overall drivability is somewhat improved. I wouldn't say it's night and day. I wouldn't say it feels like a different truck. But it is a little better in certain situations.

Having said that....this is EXACTLY how it felt the last time I left the dealership following a software flash. And within a few hundred miles the onboard computers relearned and settled it right where they had been before. So I'm not going to make a final judgment call on this latest update until I get at least a few hundred miles on the clock.

Tomorrow morning I'll check and see if the remote start responds any better as well.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the trans. shifting seems snappier and more on point. The engine response is slightly better. The overall drivability is somewhat improved. I wouldn't say it's night and day. I wouldn't say it feels like a different truck. But it is a little better in certain situations.

Having said that....this is EXACTLY how it felt the last time I left the dealership following a software flash. And within a few hundred miles the onboard computers relearned and settled it right where they had been before. So I'm not going to make a final judgment call on this latest update until I get at least a few hundred miles on the clock.

Tomorrow morning I'll check and see if the remote start responds any better as well.
Mine feels very different. It's been a few hundred km and feels just as good as when it was done.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m closer to 2000km since getting the update and notice very little if any lag, drives more like a gas truck since the update for sure.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds good guys. Hopefully this will stick. It's acceptable as of today. If it stays like this I'll at least be happier with the truck.

Hogzfan

Reaction score
Enjoying the read, and possiblity of improved drivability, less delay. I'll work with the dealer for the flash. I ordered the Banks Pedal Monster (not arrived yet), together hopefully this will be the fix.
That said, bit of conspiracy theory...but would RAM build a wide margin in the pedal-to-throttle response curve to boost MPG ratings and thereby positive press articles, then release the PCM update...knowing the whole time it would be more than likely required for customer satisfaction?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Enjoying the read, and possiblity of improved drivability, less delay. I'll work with the dealer for the flash. I ordered the Banks Pedal Monster (not arrived yet), together hopefully this will be the fix.
That said, bit of conspiracy theory...but would RAM build a wide margin in the pedal-to-throttle response curve to boost MPG ratings and thereby positive press articles, then release the PCM update...knowing the whole time it would be more than likely required for customer satisfaction?
I did not notice any difference in mileage after the update.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I did not notice any difference in mileage after the update.

I think what's he's saying is, could it be possible that Ram built the lag and poor throttle response into the factory tune on purpose? There are lots of vehicles on the market that have an "Eco" mode where you push a button on the dash or console and it basically retards throttle response significantly to promote fuel economy. I've driven vehicles like that. It basically takes away the urge to drive like a maniac, and in the process by nature improves mileage.

I'm not sure Ram would do that on these trucks by building it into the tune without using a selectable control on the dash, but it's possible.

On the way home after this new update, I was getting the same instant MPG on the interstate that I was getting before, so I doubt it'll improve fuel economy enough to notice. But time will tell....

Chris3058

Reaction score
So I’m going to call Mac Lang and describe my throttle lag issue and maybe mention the new tsb / PCM calibration. My selling dealer is saying it’s not applicable to my truck -late June 2020 build date - I don’t relieve them.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey guys just something interesting my wife noticed that you may want to try. We also have the terrible throttle response, but have noticed that if the truck is left in Aero mode (for those with air suspension) it seems to almost get rid of the problem. If it is in "Normal" ride height, the response is terrible. Just something to think about.
Interesting as the correlation makes ZERO sense

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m going to call Mac Lang and describe my throttle lag issue and maybe mention the new tsb / PCM calibration. My selling dealer is saying it’s not applicable to my truck -late June 2020 build date - I don’t relieve them.
Just a note, I bought two vehicles from Mac Lang in the past.

My truck is at 14500 km and down to 9% oil life so I will bring it to the dealer here in Timmins for it’s first oil change, I will ask about a few things while it’s there, I noticed in the summer that the AC was struggling to keep up, there is a TSB, I found it on this forum, I will ask about the throttle sometimes lacks response and finally, the speed auto volume control does not change wether I have it off or all the way up to #3, not a big deal but I like how it works on my Jeep.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score

Yep my dealer is saying the same a d my truck is a MY 20, DEC 19 build.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a note, I bought two vehicles from Mac Lang in the past.

My truck is at 14500 km and down to 9% oil life so I will bring it to the dealer here in Timmins for it’s first oil change, I will ask about a few things while it’s there, I noticed in the summer that the AC was struggling to keep up, there is a TSB, I found it on this forum, I will ask about the throttle sometimes lacks response and finally, the speed auto volume control does not change wether I have it off or all the way up to #3, not a big deal but I like how it works on my Jeep.
You waited 14,500km to do your first oil change? I would never have gone half that distance on a factory fill. Do you plan on keeping your truck very long or is it a lease?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed two things so far that I DO NOT like about this latest tune.

1) The truck would go into automatic high idle anytime I started it while the engine was cold and the temperature was basically in the 30s or below. Since the tune update, it has been 5 degrees one morning and 16 degrees another and the truck doesn't go into high idle anymore. That's a real bummer. I actually loved the high idle feature.

2) According to my Scan Gauge II, the maximum boost pressure is now being capped about 0.5 PSI lower than before. That's probably only a loss of <5 horsepower, but it's still a loss.

Who knows what else this update has changed that we haven't even discovered yet.

Users who are viewing this thread