5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB 18-008-20 throttle lag

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1DD893C1-4733-4687-985F-71017FC509B7.jpeg 72B1C044-4FF9-4745-A420-DD442B28A49C.jpeg 0CFBBC8D-C439-4141-A64F-8C052904898D.jpeg
So. They changed the oil this morning. Put in Pennzoil. Came out after work and this is what I was greeted with. I can’t even begin to understand WTF is wrong with this place.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 81577 View attachment 81578 View attachment 81579
So. They changed the oil this morning. Put in Pennzoil. Came out after work and this is what I was greeted with. I can’t even begin to understand WTF is wrong with this place.
Sorry to see the drops.

The oil changer is far from ASE certified and problay one of the most junior people in the service bay.

Most don’t think twice about an oil change as it’s “simple” and second nature to most of us. With everything else going on in the service department I don’t think they staff to continuously supervise the oil change “kid”. Every time I’ve been to my dealership the oil change line is always through their parking lot and into the street. That kind of continuous backlog can’t do well to promote quality over speed.

That being said there’s a minimum expectation for services that are paid for like proper procedural compliance and being able to install a drain plug so it doesn’t leak.

I echo Jako’s sentiments, hopefully an easy fix (loose drain plug).

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Taking my truck to Mac Lang in Orillia Monday in hopes they will so the powertrain update. Will report back.

outlawchocolate

Reaction score
View attachment 81577 View attachment 81578 View attachment 81579
I just changed my oil last week in the driveway and had the same issue. There is a hole on the top of the crossmember and if they just open the oil pan drain plug and let it spill all over instead of capturing it in a funnel, it will “fill” the crossmember with oil to some degree. There are 3 different holes on the bottom; it will slosh around and leak out for days before finally settling down. I was wiping it down twice a day to keep the spots away until it stopped.

So I bought a fumato valve and a funnel for the future changes.

Last edited:

Burner1352

Reaction score
So an oil change on the ram is the same as my old jeep. After I started doing my own changes I got a plug that had a nipple I could put a hose on and drain it to avoid getting oil all over the place. Thought they would have changed that with the Gen 3. Guess not as I have just learned on here. They do make the plug for the Gen 3 and I guess I should order 1. I have the grill cover but I don't have it installed as we don't get anywhere near that cold in the lower main land. Hell I never plugged my jeep in and had it fire up in -38 with no problems. It sounded like she was screaming for a min, but she started. As a teen I worked at barrie Ford and they were great to deal with and if I understood right that is who bought barrie Chrysler. I would love to have had them tell me my warranty would be void if I didn't use the grill cover. I don't even use one on my big rig lol. I will have to tell my friends to stay away from them, buddy of mine just bought a 2020 srt Durango from the guys over by the 400 market. He said they have been great as there shop works on his work truck. You guys should ask them about the warranty we have on the front windshields and see what they say, as there is 1 and it's covered for 2 years for 1 replacement windshield. I taught my dealership out here in bc that there is 1, they had no idea.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil change and warranty story. Like a lot of you guys, I do a lot of work on my vehicles. About all I haven't done is rebuild an automatic transmission.

My new '03 Honda Pilot had an oil plug I just could not remove to do the first oil change. (About 1500 miles, give or take. Yeah, I like to do the first one early, then the next one at 5,000. Get rid of whatever swarf and thin cutting lube may be left. Shrug. It's cheap.) So, the plug was a bastard. Rather than immobilize it, I took it in to the dealer. On its return, I noticed a seeping leak from the plug. Just a drop or so an hour. I took it in again a few weeks later for something.

I had the dealer annotate that oil leak. He said it was probably a loose plug/bad seal. I kept the paperwork. When I picked it up and drove home...it still leaked.

Well, come near the end of the warranty, I told them I wanted that leak fixed. They crapped themselves trying to deny it. Said I caused it: overtightened the plug or used "bad" oil. Lolz. Mobil1 to their spec. I offered to have a gas chromatograph analysis done on the oil: if I was right, they pay for it. If the oil was "bad", I'd pay. Then I pulled out my original work order...and their repair, and then my followup that it was still leaking.

They fixed it...

Oh, if you're wondering, the '03 Honda Pilot does not have an oil pan. It has a large aluminum tray that covers the bottom of the engine: you've got to drop the front subframe to swap it out. You really don't want to strip the oil drain threads.

(And, in fairness, that 03 has 297,000 miles and has never given me an issue. Sure, some maintenance, but it's been amazing. And still going strong.)

Moral? Complain, get it in writing, and keep your own copies.

(I hope the Ram I'm currently shopping does as well for me as that Honda Pilot. Fingers crossed...)

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Picked my Truck up today to have my heater core hose replaced and while it was there they did the update, so far the throttle response has been much better but I only drove a little bit today, hopefully it stays like this.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone have the PDF of this. Screen grabs from a phone won't do.

Malodave

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is in now to hopefully have this update done. Still having issues with the remote start in the cold so let's hope this can be addressed as well.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had it done. Noticeable difrence in throttle lag when decelerating down and then getting back on the gas. Only drove about 10 miles but it felt significantly better.

Users who are viewing this thread