5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB 18-008-20 throttle lag

ammdrew

Reaction score
TSB 18-008-20 so word is this fixes the throttle lag.. anyone here have it done yet?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that the one that's actually a reflash for the remote start function?

Guys are saying it cured the throttle response immediately, but my bet is that they're just experiencing what happens when all the learning tables are reset during a flash. 500 miles down the road I bet their truck behaves exactly like it did before they took it in.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got home and the tsb for the remote start issues I received was 18-008-20 Rev A. This did not fix the random dead pedal issues for me.

It doesn’t happen often enough for me to waste my time at the dealer to be told they could not reproduce the issue.

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Hey guys just something interesting my wife noticed that you may want to try. We also have the terrible throttle response, but have noticed that if the truck is left in Aero mode (for those with air suspension) it seems to almost get rid of the problem. If it is in "Normal" ride height, the response is terrible. Just something to think about.

Berk

Reaction score
I had it done last week, major improvement in throttle response. There is no way it's fresh adaptives.
The first thing I noticed is that it drives like it's at operating temperature even while it's warming up. All around the throttle curve is much more aggressive and engine is quicker to react to input changes.
But also -
The throttle used to hesitate when I would be accelerating out of a turn, like a roundabout, almost like the computer was holding back power. Now I get almost instant power with much less % of throttle input required regardless of steering input.
It also refined the way my cruise control operates. When I would engage cruise before, there would be this long wait for the throttle to kick in. I would actually wait 5 seconds or so before taking my foot off the throttle just to make sure I keep with the flow of traffic while cruise engages. Now it picks up the throttle instantly. It's way faster to react and anticipate grade changes in rolling hills, with way less surging. Also my adaptive cruise control is now acknowledging leading vehicles from at least twice the distance.
Another person who had the update done says his shifting is smoother. I'm not sure if there was a change, but the shifting does seem really smooth now that I'm paying attention to it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to fill up at a Mobil station but recently switched to petro Canada and noticed a good improvement in throttle response and power. I guess in lab tests petro Canada is usually 5-6 cetane points higher than all other stations in Ontario.

I also started using hot shot secrets everyday diesel fuel additive at the same time so that might have done it. Next tank will be mixed with hot shot secrets winter additive as I am heading north and it’s -20 and colder.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s odd they changed the tsb that much, before it only referenced an issue with intermittent remote start and none of the rest. I guess it was a big update which is why many of us are noticing improvements.

I see it mentions some changes to the DEF system, I think it has something to do with erratic def gauge readings below a half a tank. Mines used to jump all over the place but now it has been slowly going down from 1/2 to 3/8 of a tank without any crazy jumps like before.

Keep up the good work engineering, getting that tailgate ajar warning working would be a welcome change as well so we don’t have to enable factory options ourselves.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had it done last week, major improvement in throttle response. There is no way it's fresh adaptives.
The first thing I noticed is that it drives like it's at operating temperature even while it's warming up. All around the throttle curve is much more aggressive and engine is quicker to react to input changes.
But also -
The throttle used to hesitate when I would be accelerating out of a turn, like a roundabout, almost like the computer was holding back power. Now I get almost instant power with much less % of throttle input required regardless of steering input.
It also refined the way my cruise control operates. When I would engage cruise before, there would be this long wait for the throttle to kick in. I would actually wait 5 seconds or so before taking my foot off the throttle just to make sure I keep with the flow of traffic while cruise engages. Now it picks up the throttle instantly. It's way faster to react and anticipate grade changes in rolling hills, with way less surging. Also my adaptive cruise control is now acknowledging leading vehicles from at least twice the distance.
Another person who had the update done says his shifting is smoother. I'm not sure if there was a change, but the shifting does seem really smooth now that I'm paying attention to it.
This is good to hear..I'm going to make an appointment and get this done..sounds like this is the fine tuning the diesel needs

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And here goes. Went out and once again truck wouldn’t start with remote start. Video’d the whole thing. Again. Drove to dealer. Got my OC done. Showed them the video of this morning. Mentioned the TSB for the PCM update for the truck in which this is one of the issues. Brake chirp.
Hour later - OC done. Chirp fixed with grease brake pad clips.

And they couldn’t replicate the remote start issue. I said of course you can’t. It’s warmed up and inside now. The videos apparently mean jack **** and they won’t do **** unless they can replicate it is the summary of the argument I had.

Service manager was as helpful as a snowbank. Blah blah blah blah BS BS BS. Showed the video. “That’s not supposed to happen” is the answer. Leave it overnight with us is the solution - not when it’s my only vehicle. Maybe I’ll hitchhike home....

And the PCM TSB from Dec 09 2020 - they’ve never heard of it. It’s like the super secret TSB or something. So I showed them. Where did you get that? who sent it to you? Doesn’t apply to your 2020 Ram ED blah blah blah. I said well if you read right here at the top says it here - “3rd gen diesel with 8 Speed transmission” DT Ram 1500. The scanner would have showed us. More BS. More excuses.

400 Ram in Barrie where digital evidence means nothing and customers are stupid.
Lmfao. Unfortunately I was warned about the service here and I still bought from them.

Small issue but easily fixable - and NOPE.
I see a battle (or a small limited skirmish) brewing.
On the good side - fresh oil / filter(Rotella T6 is what they used?) for free.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And here goes. Went out and once again truck wouldn’t start with remote start. Video’d the whole thing. Again. Drove to dealer. Got my OC done. Showed them the video of this morning. Mentioned the TSB for the PCM update for the truck in which this is one of the issues. Brake chirp.

And they couldn’t replicate the remote start issue. I said of course you can’t. It’s warmed up and inside now. The videos apparently mean jack **** and they won’t do **** unless they can replicate it is the summary of the argument I had.

Service manager was as helpful as a snowbank. Blah blah blah blah BS BS BS. Showed the video. “That’s not supposed to happen” is the answer. Leave it overnight with us is the solution - not when it’s my only vehicle. Maybe I’ll hitchhike home....

And the PCM TSB from Dec 09 2020 - they’ve never heard of it. It’s like the super secret TSB or something. So I showed them. Where did you get that? who sent it to you? Doesn’t apply to your 2020 Ram ED blah blah blah. I said well if you read right here at the top says it here - “3rd gen diesel with 8 Speed transmission” DT Ram 1500. The scanner would have showed us. More BS. More excuses.

400 Ram in Barrie where digital evidence means nothing and customers are stupid.
Lmfao. Unfortunately I was warned about the service here and I still bought from them.

My experience with Barrie Chrysler has been similar. They won't even look at videos etc. They are useless. I'm going to try Mac Lang in Orillia.

Also, not to burst your bubble. Rotella T6 is not approved for the Gen3. So I would be calling them about that.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have a remote start issue but have a delayed throttle response (lag) that got worse over time. I took it to the dealer and got the "that's the way these trucks are" explanation and have a nice day.

It was on another thread I read about resetting the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It didn't cure the issue altogether but made a big difference:

1. Get in the truck and shut the door.
2. Reset the TPS by touching only:
.....Press the push button twice to turn the truck ON (DO NOT START!)
.....Slowly press the accelerator to the floor then slowly release (10-15 seconds to complete)
3. Push button once to turn the truck OFF.
4. Open the door before you do anything else in the truck.

Once you've opened the door you've "turned off" the truck and can now shut the door, start it up, and drive it.

As I mentioned above it did not completely cure the issue but there was a noticeable improvement.

The best part is that it's free (except for the 2 minutes it takes to do this).

Hrspwr88

Reaction score

Yeh thats frustrating. I bought my truck from 400 Chrysler and won't go back after horrible service/tech experience.

I went to Orangeville Ram for my no start as its a bit closer to me. They ended up solving my issue once I finally was able to prove to them I had an issue. I'd say try them next... maybe I paved the way a bit easier for you there.

They didn't end up doing the TSB through. They found a module that had a communication error and flashed it.

Goodluck!

Burner1352

Reaction score
Glad to see barrie Chrysler hasn't changed at all. Use to get all my work done there when I had my 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. They learned very quickly I knew more about my jeep then they ever did. Glad I don't need them anymore being on the west coast now. There old services manager Rob was great to deal with. I could go in and give him the list of updates and he would do them without question. I don't remember the new guys name but he was useless when it came to do anything on my jeep.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to see barrie Chrysler hasn't changed at all. Use to get all my work done there when I had my 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. They learned very quickly I knew more about my jeep then they ever did. Glad I don't need them anymore being on the west coast now. There old services manager Rob was great to deal with. I could go in and give him the list of updates and he would do them without question. I don't remember the new guys name but he was useless when it came to do anything on my jeep.
Yeah I'm not a fan. Last time I was there the guy tried to tell me they can deny warranty work for not having my winter cover on. I told him it's not required with the 3rd gen and the owners manual simply states one is available, no where does it mention it's required.

He then tried to me that with wind chill it can be -40 even if it's only -2 out... Well news flash sir, wind chill is only felt by humans.

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a fan. Last time I was there the guy tried to tell me they can deny warranty work for not having my winter cover on. I told him it's not required with the 3rd gen and the owners manual simply states one is available, no where does it mention it's required.

He then tried to me that with wind chill it can be -40 even if it's only -2 out... Well news flash sir, wind chill is only felt by humans.
Look a like stealerships hired retards and morons only , no other explanations of their stupidity

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you find a good dealer service department do whatever it takes to keep them on your side. My dealer will jump through hoops to make sure my truck is 100% the way it is meant to be. Anytime I have an issue they’ll show me the star case or tsb related to the issue on their computer.

The kicker is that I didn’t buy my truck from this dealer, they just have a very good service record and customer satisfaction is through the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread