5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB 18-008-20 throttle lag

Berk

Reaction score
I've had the update done and used the cruise a lot last night driving 1200 miles home.
I don't remember what the cruise was like before as I didn't use it that much, but driving from central Florida to central Missouri it seemed alright, I did notice it would keep it within 1 mph and kept up, I did notice that it liked hanging out in 6th gear and barley made it in 8th with tow haul on and a 5k travel trailer on the back.
How’s you’re fuel economy towing that TT on the highway? I wish mine wasn’t so tall and wide. I’m lucky to get 11.5 with the cruise at 60. 10.5 at 65. 9 at 72. 7.8 at 80.
I also have 3.92

Hogzfan

Reaction score
I bought and installed the Banks Pedal Monster about three weeks ago. When setting it, the screen shows your pedal's output and the Bank's output at the same time. Across all modes the banks would show increased output levels, esp in Track mode...huge difference. But they were all varying levels of proportional outputs.
Last Friday my dash lit up like Christmas, and limp mode. I pulled the batt cables, got it right except for the CEL. I removed the Banks PM. And then took it to the dealer. They showed 6 random codes, all electronic related...ABS, ANC mics, PCM ect. They called me later in the day, stating they did the PCM update (throttle lag, ect), and it was gtg. (No mention of the Banks😃)
My point...after reinstalling the Banks PM I noticed there was a significant reduction in the difference between my pedal output and the Banks output. This was in all modes/levels. I take this as confirmation, that indeed the pedal/throttle map was improved by the PCM flash. The Banks still has some improvement over stock IMO. All attach some pics of the current values. I dont have pics of the original values to show the diff, but it was drastically different three weeks ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210321-180219.png
    Screenshot_20210321-180219.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20210321-180211.png
    Screenshot_20210321-180211.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210321-180156.png
    Screenshot_20210321-180156.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 22

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
How’s you’re fuel economy towing that TT on the highway? I wish mine wasn’t so tall and wide. I’m lucky to get 11.5 with the cruise at 60. 10.5 at 65. 9 at 72. 7.8 at 80.
I also have 3.92
Usually I get 10-11 mpg just towing the TT.
Thursday I drove from Winter Haven Fl to central Missouri with a bed rack with my 10.5ft kayak it weights around 80 lbs and a weatherguard truck tool box next to it.
Its like a 1200 miles trip and I had to stop 5 times, two of those stops I hand calculated my mpg and was getting 9.3 and 9.1 mpg 😭 and that's driving at about 65-75 mph with hella headwinds the whole way.

Attachments

• 20210317_154303.jpg
    20210317_154303.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 30

Lights Out

Reaction score
Wow i thought PM wasnt supposed to throw codes? their claim was that they pull votage from OBD and PC was throwing codes because they were only connected to the pedal...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow i thought PM wasnt supposed to throw codes? their claim was that they pull votage from OBD and PC was throwing codes because they were only connected to the pedal...
It seems like you're referring to @Hogzfan, two posts up?

If so, he did not explicitly state what caused the dash lights to come on. (Sure, it could've been the Banks PM, or it could've been something else.)

Just cautioning about reading too much into his post.

Of course, if the Banks PM caused the issue that brought his truck to the dealer...I'd like to know.

Lights Out

Reaction score

If so, he did not explicitly state what caused the dash lights to come on. (Sure, it could've been the Banks PM, or it could've been something else.)

Of course, if the Banks PM caused the issue that brought his truck to the dealer...I'd like to know.
yes. I can say for 100% certainty the the PC threw lights and codes on my 1500.
now i have the PM and am mindful it could happen, again.
Did the PM throw his codes? id say yes, but i wouldn't throw the mortgage payment on it..

md-lucky

Reaction score
Just read the entire thread. I think somewhere in there someone discussed the cruise control issues. I tried to go back and find that comment but I wasn't able to see which page it was on (and I'm not going to try to search the entire thread again, sorry!)

Follow up form me on this:

I had the update done, and I have been driving the truck for about a week now. I drove the same stretch of road that gave me issues before. Normally with the cruise control set at 70, it would dip down in the mid 60s by the top of several of these hills. This time to truck quickly downshifted to 7th and held speed perfectly up the hill.

I'll keep driving it for a few weeks to keep testing it, but I can say that my limited testing has 100% fixed this issue. The update is completely worth it to me for that alone!

WarReadyVet

Reaction score
Was looking at going diesel for this go 'round, but you all have me questioning whether the improved fuel economy is worth the higher upfront cost and hassle.

wiskyram

Reaction score
I recently got my ecodiesel and I haven't experienced any of the turbo lag (no more than any other turbo vehicle that I've had) so I've really enjoyed it thus far. Granted I'm only 1300 miles in but I'm loving this powertrain combo.

WarReadyVet

Reaction score
I recently got my ecodiesel and I haven't experienced any of the turbo lag (no more than any other turbo vehicle that I've had) so I've really enjoyed it thus far. Granted I'm only 1300 miles in but I'm loving this powertrain combo.

Diesel in my area is generally pretty fairly priced. My father operated a trucking company for a decade or so in the late 80s and drove OTR for nearly 40 years before his passing. I don't plan on hauling all that much necessarily, but the fuel economy in the 5th gens have been pretty lackluster from what I've read. I live in West Virginia, so elevation changes combined with probably the worst road conditions in the continental united states can really put a drag on your fuel economy. My wife and I are both struggling to exceed 20 MPG with her Nissan Pathfinder or my Jeep Cherokee.

wiskyram

Reaction score
Diesel in my area is generally pretty fairly priced. My father operated a trucking company for a decade or so in the late 80s and drove OTR for nearly 40 years before his passing. I don't plan on hauling all that much necessarily, but the fuel economy in the 5th gens have been pretty lackluster from what I've read. I live in West Virginia, so elevation changes combined with probably the worst road conditions in the continental united states can really put a drag on your fuel economy. My wife and I are both struggling to exceed 20 MPG with her Nissan Pathfinder or my Jeep Cherokee.
Funny, today I drove past a gas station where the regular was $2.84 and diesel was$2.86. Per fuelly after my first two fill ups I'm averaging 26.2. It's mainly 55 speed limit highways but it's been windy as all get out around here lately which hasn't helped. I'm pretty happy compared to my past F150 (2.7) that averaged 19.2 over 3 years driving around the same area.

WarReadyVet

Reaction score
Funny, today I drove past a gas station where the regular was $2.84 and diesel was$2.86. Per fuelly after my first two fill ups I'm averaging 26.2. It's mainly 55 speed limit highways but it's been windy as all get out around here lately which hasn't helped. I'm pretty happy compared to my past F150 (2.7) that averaged 19.2 over 3 years driving around the same area.

Again, there's lot of hill driving, but almost no city driving in our area, and we live within a couple miles of the interstate that we use to access basically anything. Diesel makes a lot of sense in my case, but it's just a matter of swallowing that initial $4k investment for it over the V6.

Hogzfan

Reaction score

The dealer said the codes stored were; ANC mics (4), PCM low voltage, and ABS something. Idk if the PM was to blame. I have it connected again after waiting a week. No issues so far.

Chris3058

Reaction score
When I bought my diesel (ordered it) there was an early adopter program - 2500 credit towards the ED. With that and considering diesel is cheaper than gas where I am - made perfect sense.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I bought my diesel (ordered it) there was an early adopter program - 2500 credit towards the ED. With that and considering diesel is cheaper than gas where I am - made perfect sense.
This is what made me choose the diesel as well. Improved mileage, cheaper fuel and big discounts.

mia389

Reaction score
I finally took my truck in for the update a couple of weeks ago. I have not had the dead pedal issue since. I'm so glad the update fixed it. Driveability is much better. I'm really loving my truck now as the dead pedal thing had me worried. I have also noticed my vibration through the truck is getting better. Maybe the engine getting more broke in. I was averaging 19.5 mpg and I'm up to 22mpg now. I have a heavy foot. This is the first vehicle I have had where I love it more now than when I bought it lol. The split tailgate continues to impress me. My kids love the air cond seats in back that recline. My wife likes the automatic step bars. I love the diesel with 3.92 rearend. Pulls my toys with ease. The turbo whine makes me smile going up hills where my hemi use to down shift :). Love my longhorn.

The dealer had my truck for 5 days. I asked for my first oil change and told them of my dead pedal issue.

Day 4 I call them to find out wtf is going on lol. They told me they could not reproduce the dead pedal and I was just feeling turbo lag. "Diesels do this" he told me. I then asked if the truck was ready to be picked up. I was just going to take it somewhere else as this guy is starting to frustrate me. I was told to come get it. I asked if they have updated the ECM or if there was any updates. I told him my research showed me there is an SB to fix this issue. He then said he will check with his lead mech. Puts me on hold for a bit then comes back and says, " Yea, that's done, but can you come tomorrow to pick it up... I laughed out loud and was like wtf man, how stupid do you think I am.

Greasy ******ers.

Somehow they managed to spill oil everywhere. I smelled burning oil for 3 days. I was hooking up my boat shortly after and smelled the oil. I popped the hood and seen they had spilled oil all the way down from the fill onto exhaust manifolds, down the side of the block.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally took my truck in for the update a couple of weeks ago. I have not had the dead pedal issue since. I'm so glad the update fixed it. Driveability is much better. I'm really loving my truck now as the dead pedal thing had me worried. I have also noticed my vibration through the truck is getting better. Maybe the engine getting more broke in. I was averaging 19.5 mpg and I'm up to 22mpg now. I have a heavy foot. This is the first vehicle I have had where I love it more now than when I bought it lol. The split tailgate continues to impress me. My kids love the air cond seats in back that recline. My wife likes the automatic step bars. I love the diesel with 3.92 rearend. Pulls my toys with ease. The turbo whine makes me smile going up hills where my hemi use to down shift :). Love my longhorn.

The dealer had my truck for 5 days. I asked for my first oil change and told them of my dead pedal issue.

Day 4 I call them to find out wtf is going on lol. They told me they could not reproduce the dead pedal and I was just feeling turbo lag. "Diesels do this" he told me. I then asked if the truck was ready to be picked up. I was just going to take it somewhere else as this guy is starting to frustrate me. I was told to come get it. I asked if they have updated the ECM or if there was any updates. I told him my research showed me there is an SB to fix this issue. He then said he will check with his lead mech. Puts me on hold for a bit then comes back and says, " Yea, that's done, but can you come tomorrow to pick it up... I laughed out loud and was like wtf man, how stupid do you think I am.

Greasy ******ers.

Somehow they managed to spill oil everywhere. I smelled burning oil for 3 days. I was hooking up my boat shortly after and smelled the oil. I popped the hood and seen they had spilled oil all the way down from the fill onto exhaust manifolds, down the side of the block.
C'mon, name names: who was the dealer?

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Ok so after dealing with this for MONTHS, I also finally did the 18-008-20 and I can say it is definitely better. Most noticeable was that I didn't need the Pedal Commander anymore to not feel like I was gonna die. The PC is much more responsive now and isn't necessary.

My dealer was a bit resistant and originally said they couldn't duplicate the problem (I'm like REALLY?...I almost die every morning). Once I mentioned the TSB and showed them, they did it (took 8 minutes) and it was a noticeable improvement. The advisor then apologized that they didn't do it initially.

Definitely do this if you're having the lag issue. It isn't a 100% fix, but I'd say it is 90% improved.

Tomamsco

Reaction score
Ok so after dealing with this for MONTHS, I also finally did the 18-008-20 and I can say it is definitely better. Most noticeable was that I didn't need the Pedal Commander anymore to not feel like I was gonna die. The PC is much more responsive now and isn't necessary.

My dealer was a bit resistant and originally said they couldn't duplicate the problem (I'm like REALLY?...I almost die every morning). Once I mentioned the TSB and showed them, they did it (took 8 minutes) and it was a noticeable improvement. The advisor then apologized that they didn't do it initially.

Definitely do this if you're having the lag issue. It isn't a 100% fix, but I'd say it is 90% improved.
Turbo Lag: Love Love Love my Limited Eco Diesel. Wife is scared to death because as I was headed up a very steep long driveway at a low speed with the trailer, the engine almost died! She freaked out - said I should have bought the Hemi. I told her it was turbo lag, but privately (dang!). It freaked me out too. (You know gotta stay positive in front of the wif. ). I need to make sure the dealer has updated the software. You shouldn’t have to make a running start at something just to make sure you have the RPM’s up and the Turbo is engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online