5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB 18-008-20 throttle lag

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So a few observations with 600 kms on it he new PCM cal. High idle still works just fine. It was -5 this morning and kicked right into HI. Throttle is MUCH more responsive - that little lag I was getting used to is gone. DEF gauge doesn’t bounce around under 1/2 anymore. Tire pressure sensors seem to be bang on now. Two of them were reading 3-5 psi low.. Remote start has worked every time I’ve tried to use it - it was like 50/50 before. Good update so far.

Reactions: c3k

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup I'm loving the update. Remote starter my truck in -25 Celsius the other day. No block heater or anything. Fired right up and went into high idle.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup I'm loving the update. Remote starter my truck in -25 Celsius the other day. No block heater or anything. Fired right up and went into high idle.
Remote start on my truck still has issues some days, it was only -4C yesterday and it did the usual one light flash/horn honk. I’m pretty sure there is either a module drawing power or my battery is no good. I drive plenty of miles to keep it charged up, 32000km in the first year.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remote start on my truck still has issues some days, it was only -4C yesterday and it did the usual one light flash/horn honk. I’m pretty sure there is either a module drawing power or my battery is no good. I drive plenty of miles to keep it charged up, 32000km in the first year.
I took all my grounds off and cleaned them. That seems to have helped.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck is in for “Hard Start, Remote Start hit and miss, and loud fan running after driving”
Let’s see what’s happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be getting mine back later today. Service advisor said they did a couple of “Flashes”

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6aab45f1ee94140b1eadba1e3dd910e7.jpg

Ok... So did I get the update?? Who can read this thing???

Mchurch52

Reaction score
6aab45f1ee94140b1eadba1e3dd910e7.jpg

Ok... So did I get the update?? Who can read this thing???

Under "Cause" for section B it says 18-008-21, which is the TSB number for the update, so hopefully that means they did it.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Under "Cause" for section B it says 18-008-21, which is the TSB number for the update, so hopefully that means they did it.
The thread title is 18-008-20 -- this guys TSB ends in 21 on his receipt... interested to hear/see what ELSE is included in the TSB ending in 21 vs. the one in this thread.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
The thread title is 18-008-20 -- this guys TSB ends in 21 on his receipt... interested to hear/see what ELSE is included in the TSB ending in 21 vs. the one in this thread.
If you look at Post #8 in this thread it shows a screen shot of TSB 18-008-20 Rev A. I’m not sure if 18-008-21 is a new TSB or if Ram just renamed 18-008-20 Rev A. I could not find 18-008-21 in the NHTSA data base.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The more I drive the truck post-update, the more I realize that the thing I dislike the most is the trans shifting. It's a little rougher on the 2-3, 3-2 shift now. And on cold mornings it'll try to go up to 5th or 6th gear at 25 or 30 MPH which is ridiculous. It nearly causes the engine to lug. Seems like the new shift strategy is just not as efficient or smooth as the old one.

In the grand scheme of things I don't care because one of two things is going to happen: I'll get a new truck next year or I'll get the GDE tuning. In either case, my current issues won't last forever.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very noticeable difference in my truck.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
The more I drive the truck post-update, the more I realize that the thing I dislike the most is the trans shifting. It's a little rougher on the 2-3, 3-2 shift now. And on cold mornings it'll try to go up to 5th or 6th gear at 25 or 30 MPH which is ridiculous. It nearly causes the engine to lug. Seems like the new shift strategy is just not as efficient or smooth as the old one.

In the grand scheme of things I don't care because one of two things is going to happen: I'll get a new truck next year or I'll get the GDE tuning. In either case, my current issues won't last forever.
I've noticed that with the shifting as well, shifts seem a bit more firm/quicker than they were before. I've also noticed the shifting into 5th or 6th between 25-30 MPH, but really only see it when leaving the neighborhood in the morning so it doesn't bother me. I'm wondering if the shifting will change at all as the new programming adjusts to my driving style.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've just assumed that I'd add a throttle controller (probably a Banks) to my truck...once I get it, based on all the "mushy throttle" threads. Does this TSB make the engine respond to the throttle position better?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've just assumed that I'd add a throttle controller (probably a Banks) to my truck...once I get it, based on all the "mushy throttle" threads. Does this TSB make the engine respond to the throttle position better?
Yes. It does everything better

Reactions: c3k

md-lucky

Reaction score
Just read the entire thread. I think somewhere in there someone discussed the cruise control issues. I tried to go back and find that comment but I wasn't able to see which page it was on (and I'm not going to try to search the entire thread again, sorry!)

My question is:

I have few gripes about this truck, but one of them is absolutely the cruise control. When set a highway speeds (65-80), there are times when going up a hill the cruise control will fail to maintain the correct speed. I will slowly watch the speed decrease (as if it's trying to hold 8th gear as long as possible without down shifting) at least 7-9mph under the set speed. One time it decrease so much it actually turned the cruise control off.

If i just tap the throttle it will downshift and bring itself back up to the set cruise control speed and will maintain that speed for the rest of the hill (often long mountain passes).

Doesn't happen EVERY time, but does happen frequently.

If anyone else has had similar issues and this PCM update solved for it, please let me know. That alone is worth the time and effort to have the update done.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cruise control is definitely better after the update. I find it now holds a tighter "window" of speed and doesn't bleed off as much as before. It was more noticeable while towing.

I think the reduction of lag also helps this.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I've had the update done and used the cruise a lot last night driving 1200 miles home.
I don't remember what the cruise was like before as I didn't use it that much, but driving from central Florida to central Missouri it seemed alright, I did notice it would keep it within 1 mph and kept up, I did notice that it liked hanging out in 6th gear and barley made it in 8th with tow haul on and a 5k travel trailer on the back.

Berk

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a fan. Last time I was there the guy tried to tell me they can deny warranty work for not having my winter cover on. I told him it's not required with the 3rd gen and the owners manual simply states one is available, no where does it mention it's required.

He then tried to me that with wind chill it can be -40 even if it's only -2 out... Well news flash sir, wind chill is only felt by humans.
Ask him if he factored in highway speeds to that wind chill. Then ask him if your warranty will be void if you only drive with a tail wind. He still won’t figure out that you’re ****ing with him.
It’s sad, but I always recommend recording conversations with service managers. I don’t understand the logic of trying to turn down warranty work. The dealership gets paid by the manufacturer for the labor, why wouldn’t they want the money? Sometimes I wonder if they double dip. Force the customer to pay and submit still submit a warranty claim

Users who are viewing this thread