5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure, but it makes sense the black fox vs actual paddle switches sending different messages. Makes me want to get a set of actual paddles wired in with BCM changes and see if it will actually command a gear change. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Do the GT trucks also have a sport button by chance? Have seen one in person yet.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Disregard last part - just noticed the gt shifter has the sideways gate for sport mode, like the other vehicles. I’m guessing the bcm logs will list this in shifter type, I know when you put into gated area, it activates sport. Jeeps also have a dash sport button. When in the manual mode, trans uses shift map 27, over-riding the driver aggression tables, or if you have a terrain mode map selected, manual mode always seems
To go to table 27.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious on the paddle shifters. Never teally cared about them until I got this exhaust and sometimes I wish i could keep it in gear to hear it a bit.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disregard last part - just noticed the gt shifter has the sideways gate for sport mode, like the other vehicles. I’m guessing the bcm logs will list this in shifter type, I know when you put into gated area, it activates sport. Jeeps also have a dash sport button. When in the manual mode, trans uses shift map 27, over-riding the driver aggression tables, or if you have a terrain mode map selected, manual mode always seems
To go to table 27.
Note that VehConfig 3: Sport Mode Present is set to NO, so like you were thinking, it is probably determined by the shifter type setting, and the sport mode setting is used for vehicles that utilize a dedicated switch.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Note that VehConfig 3: Sport Mode Present is set to NO, so like you were thinking, it is probably determined by the shifter type setting, and the sport mode setting is used for vehicles that utilize a dedicated switch.
So by that thought, could a switch be wired to the BCM to enable it on demand? I don’t know what other mapping would be required for paddles or the stock gear limit switch. Also, what tool did you use to pull that config?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So by that thought, could a switch be wired to the BCM to enable it on demand? I don’t know what other mapping would be required for paddles or the stock gear limit switch. Also, what tool did you use to pull that config?
No, the switches are “modules” that communicate to the BCM via linbus, which in turn relays the messages to the TCM via can c bus.
Alfaobd was used to pull the BCM configuration.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, the switches are “modules” that communicate to the BCM via linbus, which in turn relays the messages to the TCM via can c bus.
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Your findings are same as few other people I've talked too and my research.

I've ordered the parts listed above, but of course back ordered.

I'm curious if the TRX paddles are same as Rebel GT ones. And/or Steering wheel, etc..

I checked a few mopar places, but couldn't find Rebel GT parts.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
When I was doing an SRT-10 conversion a few years back I found an auto wrecker that specialized in high performance parts. He’d go to auctions and buy up every SRT-10 that came up across the country. I’m sure there’s somebody doing the same for the TRX’s, or will be soon anyways.

epuoR

Reaction score
Waiting for BlackFoxIndustries to get back in stock for my 2019 5th gen, I'd like to keep my steering wheel but add paddles especially living in Michigan and that heated steering wheel. I'm sure some aftermarket SW have heated but I just want paddles

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Your findings are same as few other people I've talked too and my research.

I've ordered the parts listed above, but of course back ordered.

I'm curious if the TRX paddles are same as Rebel GT ones. And/or Steering wheel, etc..

I checked a few mopar places, but couldn't find Rebel GT parts.
Any updates on the TRX steering wheel upgrade ?

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just going way back to the beginning of the thread... that Vicrez company answered my question....

1646074774512.png

so these $1300 aftermarket wheels will render your heated steering wheel useless... seems odd for them to expect people to pay that much for something like that. just as an FYI to anyone thinking about that route, even though they will work with the G/T paddle shifters, seems like a waste.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just skimmed the posts in this thread, but wanted to make y'all aware that there's a site selling custom TRX steering wheels that can retain the heating function. You'd still have to source the other parts (like paddle shifters).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just skimmed the posts in this thread, but wanted to make y'all aware that there's a site selling custom TRX steering wheels that can retain the heating function. You'd still have to source the other parts (like paddle shifters).
That’s f’in gorgeous- that’s now at the top of my list of todos. I’m going to start researching how to wire the paddles to my stock button wiring.

I really want the forged carbon, but it won’t match whatever that “almost carbon” look of the sport trim. Not sure if I should do regular weave or forged since neither really match.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I don't care for it, too much carbon fiber. I'd rather just have the stock TRX wheel. I've put this upgrade on hold for right now. Having motor work done in the next month.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
i'd like just the normal black leather TRX steering wheel, no paddles, just the flat bottom steering wheel. is that just plug and play?

epuoR

Reaction score
I'm willing to buy the mopar parts and harness, to test out in 2019. Wish it was as easy as getting like a Jeep SRT and swapping the steering wheels lol but that's not true.

Georgf

Reaction score
Has anyone done this upgrade yet? Center cup/airbag fit TRX wheel and all controls works?

IndianaRam

Reaction score
No haven't done it yet. Been busy with other upgrades. Was trying to find a used one online from a wrecked TRX but no luck so far.

Users who are viewing this thread