5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hope this works! I also hope you get the same results I did. I took mine apart over a year ago, and cleaned it like I had a crippling case of OCD, and it has not dropped into neutral since. So it has been good for over a year now.
Just to clarify, you cleaned the tps or the throttle body?

Vulpes

Reaction score
Just to clarify, you cleaned the tps or the throttle body?
I cleaned only the throttle body. But now that I think about it, around the same time I also had the battery disconnected for some other work, not sure if that also affected it? Maybe a "reboot" of the computer?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I cleaned only the throttle body. But now that I think about it, around the same time I also had the battery disconnected for some other work, not sure if that also affected it? Maybe a "reboot" of the computer?
Possibly. Sucks no one can figure out exactly what causes this after 3 years

jonnygobig

Reaction score
Thanks for this, It’s working so far, beating my mean time between failure of a week! If you fixed this way also for last year…maybe on to root cause!

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
I Just bought a 2024.. My buddy saw I bought it and told me about his 2019 and this exact issue is happening.. So did cleaning the TB and disconnecting the battery really resolve the issue? He said the dealers can't figure it out.. how can an issue this big go unresolved for this long.. I hope my 2024 doesn't do this. Do we know if this is limited to the 3.92 rearend? I am still reading through this whole 29 pages...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for this, It’s working so far, beating my mean time between failure of a week! If you fixed this way also for last year…maybe on to root cause!
Which fix did you try?

JFavaloro

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having an issue in which my 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 Laramie 5.7L V8 with 8 speed auto with 3.92 rear axle ratio and am hoping you can help. Upon braking and downshifting and perhaps more when vehicle is "cold", transmission occasionally falls out of drive without user input. The D indicator around the shift knob and in the instrument panel will blink. Tried to capture the blinking in the images below. In this case, the vehicle is parked more or less at a traffic light, but it has happened enough that I have scrambled and captured videos at 7 MPH as well. The instrument panel will also display the message "Shift to P then Desired Gear". In this time, the engine remains running and the transmission enters a neutral stage. This can be pretty dangerous when it occurs upon braking for a railroad crossing or yield and merge situation in which I cannot accelerate into traffic or away from a train. The transmission can be re-engaged by shifting to P then back to D. I do have 57,000 miles on the vehicle and this would definitely qualify as a powertrain issue, within warranty. I have taken the vehicle into the dealership with a description of the issue and a video. The shift knob was replaced to attempt to resolve with no change in issue frequency. I'll be taking it back this week for the last time. Is there a transmission programming change required for the rear axle ratio change that perhaps didn't happen? I bought the vehicle used and don't do much towing myself. I may prefer to swap the rear end for original 3.21 if required to resolve. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue? Any ideas to resolve? Please help

View attachment 77802 View attachment 77804
View attachment 77803 View attachment 77805

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any chance this could be a related fix attempt?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_171932_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_171932_Samsung Internet.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 28

Ldamiano

Reaction score
Dealer was unable to figure it out. Manager could not duplicate the issue. They found low voltage error codes that honestly could have been stored from the dying OEM battery, recently replaced by diehard. Most of the occurrences of the transmission problem occurred with the original OEM battery, warrantied for 24 mo- dead at 30. But some did happen with the newer diehard battery. So dealer replaced a new $170 diehard battery from advance (which must have a manufacturer defect) with an OEM battery for $319 (labor and supplies lol). I think I'm on a 1x/2 days rhythm recently with the issue.
Here's a video (DANGEROUS as it happens at 7 MPH):
I have the exact same issue with my 3019 ram. Been to two dealers. All they can say is vehicle is set to factory specifications and no codes. I almost got into an accident twice

K3WR

Reaction score
Yesterday, Dec. 30, 2023, my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie suddenly and unexpectedly shifted from Drive and slow rolled to a stop on the roadway. The transmission selector flashed “D” and a message on the center console informed to to shift into Park, which I did. After coming to a complete stop on the roadway, I dialed the transmission selector knob back to Drive and was moving under power once again.
From following this lengthy thread, I see this has been a problem for others in this forum. I was hoping to find reference to a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that I might offer to the service manager next week when the Ram goes into the dealership. However, it appears that there has not been an effective solution to remediate this situation. At least not one that I could find.
If anyone who has also been down this same road has any advice or suggestions, I am interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Yesterday, Dec. 30, 2023, my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie suddenly and unexpectedly shifted from Drive and slow rolled to a stop on the roadway. The transmission selector flashed “D” and a message on the center console informed to to shift into Park, which I did. After coming to a complete stop on the roadway, I dialed the transmission selector knob back to Drive and was moving under power once again.
From following this lengthy thread, I see this has been a problem for others in this forum. I was hoping to find reference to a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that I might offer to the service manager next week when the Ram goes into the dealership. However, it appears that there has not been an effective solution to remediate this situation. At least not one that I could find.
If anyone who has also been down this same road has any advice or suggestions, I am interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Try replacing or cleaning the throttle body.

seansmd

Reaction score
Not sure if i had the same thing happen, was in traffic as well so not too locked in on all that was going on instrument wise. I do believe the hazards turned on as well, did you observe that to?

I shifted to park, turned off, turned on, then proceeded with no other issues. This was mid trip truck warm, pulled up to a light so likely the auto start/stop engaged. Altitude was 6500ft.

K3WR

Reaction score
Not sure if i had the same thing happen, was in traffic as well so not too locked in on all that was going on instrument wise. I do believe the hazards turned on as well, did you observe that to?

I shifted to park, turned off, turned on, then proceeded with no other issues. This was mid trip truck warm, pulled up to a light so likely the auto start/stop engaged. Altitude was 6500ft.
No hazard lights activated, just no power to the drivetrain until I shifted into park and then to drive. The truck had just been running for about 5 minutes when this event happened and the outdoor temp was about 50 degrees. Hope it does not happen again. Thanks for the info.

Topchef209

Reaction score
Replying to my self here @RamCares. (Not) I cleaned air flow sensor, throttle body and exercised full range of motion including over travel of throttle body position sensor 2dozen times. No issues for last week and about 20 drive cycles. My theory is position sensor builds up oxidation in close to closed position, exercising through that static frequented position cleans contact plate.(had a 22RE as a kid that did this) Great theory, no evidence unless you do destructive analysis to throttle position sensor. I don’t even know if it is the old wiper position design inside to encode angle…but I have to do something, can’t continue launching my family into traffic in neutral. Without an official tsb or recall I am not taking to dealership for fishing expedition.. I’ll update next week if no flare/kick to neutral stall action.

Meanwhile, stay safe everyone while @RamCares and stallantics waits for the accident reports.

Attachments

• IMG_4957.png
    IMG_4957.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 30

Ivanjestcor

Reaction score
So this rare issue just happened to me and searching the 5th gen forum was the first thing I wanted to do after getting home. I only have a tad under 14,000 miles on my 2019, so I am a little freaked out. My situation occurred after letting it sit for 4 hours and then running a quick errand. About 2 blocks from home, I stopped at a light. It felt like it had a last second downshift and then threw the shift to park alert, with the flashing D on the knob. I switched to neutral and back to drive to make it go away. There was a big temperature drop during those 4 hours of sitting, so I am doubtful the dealer will be able to replicate unless truck is cold. I will call dealer, but keep us posted kicknsnare, thanks.
I have a 2019 rabell it just starter to do the same problem. The dealer can not find the problem. have you fixed the problem yet. Any help will help, 516-312-8721 thank you

Ivanjestcor

Reaction score
Dealer was unable to figure it out. Manager could not duplicate the issue. They found low voltage error codes that honestly could have been stored from the dying OEM battery, recently replaced by diehard. Most of the occurrences of the transmission problem occurred with the original OEM battery, warrantied for 24 mo- dead at 30. But some did happen with the newer diehard battery. So dealer replaced a new $170 diehard battery from advance (which must have a manufacturer defect) with an OEM battery for $319 (labor and supplies lol). I think I'm on a 1x/2 days rhythm recently with the issue.
Here's a video (DANGEROUS as it happens at 7 MPH):
I have a 2019 rabell it just starter to do the same problem. The dealer can not find the problem. have you fixed the problem yet. Any help will help, 516-312-8721 thank you

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It seems there are some ecu updates and TSBs out there. Maybe we should pin them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online