5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
When do you guys think the 2021 model year tsb will be up? I would like to bring my truck in and have this transmission issue fix if you guys already firgured it out
I'd bet a million bucks they haven't figured out anything.

CDP110

Reaction score
I'd bet a million bucks they haven't figured out anything.
Has Ram cares said anything about TSB for 2019 Ram 1500 bighorn all gas 5.7 for issue with coming out of drive when slowing down to make turn or at stop sign. Shift to park then desired gear

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has Ram cares said anything about TSB for 2019 Ram 1500 bighorn all gas 5.7 for issue with coming out of drive when slowing down to make turn or at stop sign. Shift to park then desired gear
@RamCares can you advise?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When do you guys think the 2021 model year tsb will be up? I would like to bring my truck in and have this transmission issue fix if you guys already firgured it out
Hi Jack,
TSB 18-091-22 was recently released for 2021 model years.

Rob
Ram Cares

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I m on this forum and I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn 5.7 and this happens to me also

What about the 2019s?

Mine is a 2019. So far dealer has done a software update (did NOT work) on the first visit. The second visit they replace the valve body. Not sure how long or how extensive that is but I received a call after 3PM saying they were approved by Chrysler to replace it under warranty. Received a call at 1130am next day stating truck was ready. I’m not a mechanic but have my doubts that this was done. Is anyone familiar with how long it takes to replace the valve body?

I have a 2019 Limited with just under 36,000 miles that began doing the same thing. Is there a TSB that addresses the issue on my truck?

@RamCares can you advise?

Greetings,
To ensure a TSB applies, we would like to get you into the dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and specifics of your vehicle. Once reviewed, the technician can then perform the repair procedure that best matches the symptoms and diagnosis of your vehicle. Some TSBs seem similar to your concerns, please feel free to bring them up to your dealer: 08-056-20 and S2118000013

Rob
Ram Cares

Jack.

Reaction score
Just got my car flashed via the TSB, will update in a couple days if i experience it again, for the 2021 etorque model anyhow

Nelo718

Reaction score
Just got my car flashed via the TSB, will update in a couple days if i experience it again, for the 2021 etorque model anyhow
Hope that works for you. I had the update and valve body changed out and it’s still happening. Now at 14 mph. Truck is going back tomorrow for a third time

Jack.

Reaction score
Has anyone found a PDF for this TSB? After many months of not having issues my truck did it again at an intersection last night.
I got a receipt of it from when they flash my truck yesterday idk where I put it but it just stated that it apparently 'fix' the stalling at low speed and the update had to do with the drive train.

Last edited:

jimchi

Reaction score
I did a search for the TSBs, and while I didn't find the specific ones referenced in this thread, the "18-091" series all refer to a powertrain module reflash.

Nelo718

Reaction score
I did a search for the TSBs, and while I didn't find the specific ones referenced in this thread, the "18-091" series all refer to a powertrain module reflash.
The update has like10-15 different issues that it corrects. I was shown the paper but not provided a copy. Corrects problems like gear hunting etc… but does NOT correct our issue.

My truck is back at the dealership for a third time @RamCares. Problem is occurring at higher speeds. At first it was below 5mph. It a few days a ago it occurred while accelerating at 15mph.. by the time I reached for my phone and entered my 6 digit code it started recording at 8mph.

Tried trading truck in at the same delearship where I purchased and been going for repairs and was offered 30k.. crazy

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
The update has like10-15 different issues that it corrects. I was shown the paper but not provided a copy. Corrects problems like gear hunting etc… but does NOT correct our issue.

My truck is back at the dealership for a third time @RamCares. Problem is occurring at higher speeds. At first it was below 5mph. It a few days a ago it occurred while accelerating at 15mph.. by the time I reached for my phone and entered my 6 digit code it started recording at 8mph.

Tried trading truck in at the same delearship where I purchased and been going for repairs and was offered 30k.. crazy
Mine has happened around 20, 25 and 30mph. Serious safety issue, especially when making a left-hand turn at an intersection! @RamCares

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup! Maybe FCA should fix it and prevent a law suite
A lawsuit is probably the only thing that will put this on their radar for an actual fix. This isn't just happening to RAM trucks, it's happening to FCA/Stellantis vehicles of all types with the 8 and 9 speed ZF-based transmissions. It's likely a bug in their software for the TCM.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
A lawsuit is probably the only thing that will put this on their radar for an actual fix. This isn't just happening to RAM trucks, it's happening to FCA/Stellantis vehicles of all types with the 8 and 9 speed ZF-based transmissions. It's likely a bug in their software for the TCM.
That’s terrible. My worry is that someone gets killed from this. It should be an FCA top priority. Especially now that it may be happening at high speeds. @RamCares

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or where is located so I can check to see if the screws show signs of being removed and if the part looks new or just as dirty as the other parts sorrounding it

The valve body is part of the transmission. It is the rectangular part, on the bottom of your truck, that has the transmission cover bolted to it. (The transmission cover is a black plastic piece, about a foot across, maybe 18" long, 1" thick.)

The valve body is a series of channels for the transmission fluid to port through. Various sensors and solenoids are attached to it, as are some wire harnesses for them. That's how the "brain" can affect the "body" of the transmission. The brain is a chip (TCM, Transmission Control Module), the body is the gears and clutches (The transmission bell housing going back to the output shaft). The valve body makes electrical signals into hydraulic changes (using the solenoids) and reports the status back to the brain (via the sensors/pressure switches). There are check balls, springs, and gaskets and other stuff in valve bodies. A valve body looks like a labyrinth. They're part of the magic of automatic transmissions.

I am not a transmission guy. I have seen valve bodies removed by experts in less than 5 minutes, after the transmission had been drained. (<- optimal conditions, by guys with over 40 years experience doing nothing but transmissions day in and day out.)

It's well within reason for it to have been replaced within that timeframe.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
What happened with the buyback ?
They offered me a low ball number. So, I declined. However, they covered a few payments during the time the truck was at the dealership. My truck is leased, which means I'm not stuck with it. The lease comes due in eight months. Additionally, Mike McDonald added an extended warranty of 75k/5-year to the truck after the initial period. I'm hoping that they find an actual fix to the problem and then I will buy the truck when the lease is up. As I've said all along, I love the truck and really don't want to get another brand.

Last edited:

Treek

Reaction score
This happens all the time to my 2019 Bighorn when slowing down at a stop sign and a roundabout near my home. Last time I slowed to make a right turn into traffic and nearly had a truck run up my back bumper when the transmission faulted. Found this 17 page thread hoping to see a resolution, but frustrating to see nothing discovered yet. This is indefensible @RamCares, FCA owes us a solution now!

Users who are viewing this thread