5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Nelo718

Reaction score
100% software update did NOT correct the problem. Just Happened to me again. Before software update it only occurred under 5 mpg but now it occurred while going 7mph.. back to the dealership with a video clip. @RamCares

Nelo718

Reaction score
The response time is surprisingly fast. The buyback rep has contacted me twice today and I've sent nearly all the documents they require. Just waiting on a buyout letter that the dealership has to procure from the bank. Curious to see what they offer. Although, the emails state that they are pursuing this buyback using the CA Lemon Law statute as the structure. So, hopefully, I won't need to actually sue them. We shall see.
Is the buyback program only for brand new trucks purchased from dealerships?
I bought a pre owned lease return from the Dodge Ram dealership wondering if that’s an option for me if they can’t fix it

Nelo718

Reaction score
Truck was purchased Jan 2021 w/ 29k miles and it currently has 53k.

CDP110

Reaction score
Truck was purchased Jan 2021 w/ 29k miles and it currently has 53k.
Dam that sucks. I was gonna bring my truck to get tcm and pcm update to fix problem. Literally when U posted that I felt great that finally my truck would be fixed. 3 more years of $516 payment hurts when truck slips out of gear at stop sign. Does truck drive any different with update

Nelo718

Reaction score
Dam that sucks. I was gonna bring my truck to get tcm and pcm update to fix problem. Literally when U posted that I felt great that finally my truck would be fixed. 3 more years of $516 payment hurts when truck slips out of gear at stop sign. Does truck drive any different with update
Only difference is that truck slips out of gear at higher speeds. Before update it only occurred at 5mph or under. Today I was able to get it on video going 7mph. After reaching for my phone, unlocking it with a 6 digit pin, opening video app to start recording. So it’s safe to say I was going at least 10mph but caught it on video going 7mph. @RamCares

Nelo718

Reaction score
Only difference is that truck slips out of gear at higher speeds. Before update it only occurred at 5mph or under. Today I was able to get it on video going 7mph. After reaching for my phone, unlocking it with a 6 digit pin, opening video app to start recording. So it’s safe to say I was going at least 10mph but caught it on video going 7mph. @RamCares

Nelo718

Reaction score
Really don’t feel safe or confident driving this truck. Damn dealerships don’t care either. Curious if anyone is having this issue with 2021 or 2022 model

Nelo718

Reaction score
I am officially starting the buyback process. There are several pieces of documentation that FCA needs to begin, but I am being guided by a CA Lemon Law attorney and hope to reach a satisfactory agreement. Will keep updating this thread.
How much is the attorney charging you?I might have to do the same thing

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
OCCDR service rep stated that a software update was made and that it should correct the issue.
Have any of you guys had the software update?
They are also charging me even though the power train warranty should still be active with 53k miles and refused to cover a rental or provide a loaner.. On my way to pick it up @RamCares
Do you know when the software update was first available? My truck was last in (the 3rd attempt) in February. I picked up the truck on February 22nd. The issue happened a week later and that's when I said "ENOUGH!" and started the buyback process. If there's a software fix that works, I'm down as I want to keep the truck.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
How much is the attorney charging you?I might have to do the same thing
The attorney didn't charge me anything as I was referred by a friend. What she told me was that since FCA has agreed to buy the truck back, there is no need to file a suit. A lawsuit only comes into play for my situation, if FCA had denied a buyback. Now that I'm in the process, I have to wait for an offer. If I don't like the offer, I can decline. But, I'm hoping your post about the software update makes all of this null and void. I'd like to know when the software update was available. Thanks.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Lemon law attorneys are generally free to you, the manufacturer has to pay their fees with a successful lemon law claim.
True. Since FCA has agreed to buy back the truck, there is no suit at this time for me.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
100% software update did NOT correct the problem. Just Happened to me again. Before software update it only occurred under 5 mpg but now it occurred while going 7mph.. back to the dealership with a video clip. @RamCares
Damn! Just saw this post after I responded to the earlier one. Frustrating.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Really don’t feel safe or confident driving this truck. Damn dealerships don’t care either. Curious if anyone is having this issue with 2021 or 2022 model
I have heard that is is happening to both 2020 and 2021 models.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Do you know when the software update was first available? My truck was last in (the 3rd attempt) in February. I picked up the truck on February 22nd. The issue happened a week later and that's when I said "ENOUGH!" and started the buyback process. If there's a software fix that works, I'm down as I want to keep the truck.
Never mind. Just saw your post about the update not working.

Reaction score
Just posted this final report from the dealer on my truck. Maybe this can help you.....
This is the repair that the STAR team and the dealership performed on my truck: "Verified customer concern vehicle transmission is shifting into neutral when coming to a stop. No DTCS present at this time, with assistance from Stallantis field technician installed permanent overlay into vehicle - partially removed dash in order to route overlay through cabin and along side engine harness, eliminating all inline connectors for circuits D440 and D441, hardwire from ESM to TCM is now installed into vehicle. Reassembled and performed extensive test drive and vehicle is operating as designed."
My truck is doing the exact same thing and has been serviced at the dealer several times. With no check engine light coming on, they say its not leaving a code. very annoying

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was asked, does it still do it if A/S/S is disabled?

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Not sure if this was asked, does it still do it if A/S/S is disabled?
Yes. From what I have seen here on the forum and heard from other RAM owners, it happens in every scenario, engine/gear ratio configuration, driving condition, etc. Frustrating beyond belief!

Nelo718

Reaction score
Truck is back a second time at OCCDJR for the same issue. This time I showed the service advisor the video clip and email it to him. The video photage of truck slipping out of drive was showned to a technician. @RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/