5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

nbase

Reaction score
Not at all, they just get pushed out. No pin removal tool is needed as long as you don’t put one of the wires in the wrong spot.
Any tips to get the plugs out? Which direction do they need to push out? If I was still at my last job I could ask the electrical guys....

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any tips to get the plugs out? Which direction do they need to push out? If I was still at my last job I could ask the electrical guys....
You can just use a toothpick to stick in there and pry them right out- 5F808583-1F19-4158-B681-2A992B14D93C.jpeg

db252

Reaction score
I just used a pick. They are just pressed in there and come right out.

Ha Jimmy beat me to it….was using my same pic even. He’s the master of this type of stuff.

db252

Reaction score
Here is the other pic earlier in the post. You can see the plugs I pulled out on the ground albeit blurry. They are just held in with friction.
1622560675700.jpeg

mprcar

Reaction score
I've finally got around to getting my trailer out of storage and getting the tpms sensors installed to finish the install. Got it all up and running. But be warned the instructions in the manual to pair the sensors are ineffective and did not work for me. The instructions said let 5psi out and wait up to three minutes. This did not work at all it never found the sensors, even when letting out 10 psi. What worked for me was airing the tires up to max pressure so you have plenty of air to work with beforehand. When the uconnect tells you to start pairing the tire, i let air out of the tire continuously for 20 seconds, waited about 10, then let more out for about 15 more seconds and it registered. I was able to duplicate these results several times. Paired every time this way. I also had the engine running and trailer harness hooked up.
I tried something like this. My pressure got down to 45-50 psi and nothing happened. How low did your pressure go? and what was "max pressure" for you? My trailer recommended pressure is 80psi. are you suggesting I air up to 95psi as if the tire were hot?

pcar

Reaction score
I tried something like this. My pressure got down to 45-50 psi and nothing happened. How low did your pressure go? and what was "max pressure" for you? My trailer recommended pressure is 80psi. are you suggesting I air up to 95psi as if the tire were hot?
I started at my tires max psi of 65 psi. for me it was a matter of letting air out long enough for the sensors to register something was happening, not so much the actual pressure.

StanFabInd

Reaction score
Yes, it’s fairly easy to add. First, you need to see what wiring you already have. There are two modules for the system- the trailer TPM that goes behind the rear bumper license plate. Look to see if there is a 4-way dummy plug connector somewhere behind the driver side license plate light-
RGLGCJJ.jpg
Is there anything that needs to be done with this pug to prep it for installation? This Plug looks different than the one here: 1623903869508.png
Is that blue/Black just a cap on the end of the plug?

I have purchased the following
Part numbers:
68493608AA - Gateway Module Trailer tire pressure monitoring sys. interface
68412666AA - Jumper Cable for TIM Module
68375990AC - Wireless Control Receiver

Backordered
68433188AA - TPMS Sensor Kit (4)

Is there anything else I need other than AlphaOBD and an OBDII connector?
2021 Laramie Mega Cab 12" Display 4x4 Cummins.
Cheers

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anything that needs to be done with this pug to prep it for installation? This Plug looks different than the one here: View attachment 96989
Is that blue/Black just a cap on the end of the plug?

I have purchased the following
Part numbers:
68493608AA - Gateway Module Trailer tire pressure monitoring sys. interface
68412666AA - Jumper Cable for TIM Module
68375990AC - Wireless Control Receiver

Backordered
68433188AA - TPMS Sensor Kit (4)

Is there anything else I need other than AlphaOBD and an OBDII connector?
2021 Laramie Mega Cab 12" Display 4x4 Cummins.
Cheers
It’s just a dummy plug to seal the connector from elements. Keep in mind on your truck the TIM module goes in the headliner above the rear window passenger side, not behind the bottom of the rear seat.

StanFabInd

Reaction score
It’s just a dummy plug to seal the connector from elements. Keep in mind on your truck the TIM module goes in the headliner above the rear window passenger side, not behind the bottom of the rear seat.
Thanks, I’ll look for it there. Is it closer to the C pillar? Or the center of the truck?

StanFabInd

Reaction score
Closer to the c pillar. This thread is specific to the HDs, and has detailed pics- https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/tpms-tis-sensors-for-trailer-solved-see-1st-post.232/
Hey man, it looks like the part numbers on some of the devices in this thread are different than the one you sent, do you know if they are both compatible?

Specifically:
TIM headliner module: 68404893AB vs. Gateway Module 68493608aa
Which is correct for the 2021 Ram 2500?

What is the security bypass cable? is this necessary to enable the TTPMS in the BCM?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey man, it looks like the part numbers on some of the devices in this thread are different than the one you sent, do you know if they are both compatible?

Specifically:
TIM headliner module: 68404893AB vs. Gateway Module 68493608aa
Which is correct for the 2021 Ram 2500?

What is the security bypass cable? is this necessary to enable the TTPMS in the BCM?
Keep in mind that this forum is for the 5th gen 1500 DT Rams, so the info in this thread is specific to those trucks. You have an HD Ram, so you really need to follow the parts list that is tried and true over on the HD forum, and they are correct. Most of the parts are the same between the two, but the trailer interface gateway might be gating different messages between the two, so stick with the HD part numbers. You’ll need a security bypass cable to make the changes to the BCM. For the HD trucks, you want to use this one- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass
You don’t want to use the infotainment bypass that people are using on this forum because on the HD trucks the gateway module is behind the instrument cluster, and it’s more of a hassle to install.

StanFabInd

Reaction score
Keep in mind that this forum is for the 5th gen 1500 DT Rams, so the info in this thread is specific to those trucks. You have an HD Ram, so you really need to follow the parts list that is tried and true over on the HD forum, and they are correct. Most of the parts are the same between the two, but the trailer interface gateway might be gating different messages between the two, so stick with the HD part numbers. You’ll need a security bypass cable to make the changes to the BCM. For the HD trucks, you want to use this one- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass
You don’t want to use the infotainment bypass that people are using on this forum because on the HD trucks the gateway module is behind the instrument cluster, and it’s more of a hassle to install.
So is that security bypass cable just used to make the changes or does it need to stay installed?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So is that security bypass cable just used to make the changes or does it need to stay installed?
Just to make the changes. You can remove it afterwards, or leave it. If the dealership ever needs to use their scan tool on the truck, it has to be removed, otherwise their device won’t connect to the truck.

phoneman

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the max pressure the tpms sensors will work with? My camper tires get 110 psi.

adrenaline66

Reaction score
Interesting that you mention that the gateway module is behind the Instrument Cluster on HDs; isn’t it in the same location on our DTs? I ordered the infotainment bypass and decided to go w/Kaodtech because w/the infotainment, I would need to pull the cluster according to infotainment’s website.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that you mention that the gateway module is behind the Instrument Cluster on HDs; isn’t it in the same location on our DTs? I ordered the infotainment bypass and decided to go w/Kaodtech because w/the infotainment, I would need to pull the cluster according to infotainment’s website.
Nope, on the HDs, it’s behind the cluster, on the DTs it’s right above the OBD port with the two connector ports facing down to the floor.

adrenaline66

Reaction score
Well then, I purchased the Kaodteck bypass because infotainment’s site said I had to remove the cluster and customer service said same; now I have 2 bypasses. I’ll need to check and if you are correct (I’m sure you are), it seems the infotainment bypass is easier to install/remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrenaline66

Reaction score
All good information (y)

I'm interested in this upgrade also. I have the 2021 1500 and looked for the rear connector but did not find one. I still need to check for the connector behind the back seat. What is the cost for the cable?

On a side note: I have not purchased the AlfaOBD s/w yet nor do I have a compatible OBD interface. Can someone recommend the best option for windows or android and interface?

Thanks in advance
I’m an Apple User, so I bought a 7” Android Tablet at Walmart for $50 and went w/OBDLink MX+ ($99 on Amazon); there are cheaper OBD Readers, but the MX+ has both iOS and Android compatibility, free updates, and it’s own OBD App (To use as just diagnostic w/o AlphaOBD). For the Security Gateway Bypass, infotainment’s is easier to install/remove, but everyone w/Kaodtech has great success. Hope that helps.

adrenaline66

Reaction score
Continuing from post #41, I did get the cab module installed in time for last weekends trailer event. Pics of that are posted below.
I did in fact have the same exact issue as @pcar had while trying to get the sensors to pair and I tried every which way except of course how he finally got his connected so until I go back to where the trailer is stored, mine aren't connected to the truck. Best result I got was the first sensor connecting but not the others and timing out otherwise but at least I know it 'will' work. Until further notice.......

This is the cab module installed looking down from the rear window area center of truck. The module is just sitting there and the new wire harness plugs into the connection point that the dummy plug harness used to.

View attachment 89467

In retrospect, I probably could have done this install from the bottom but I'll leave that up to whomever wants to try. In this pic all I did was move the back interior shielding out of the way looking for the connection point before I knew what I was looking for. This is a shot of that area, cab floor center showing the connector and the stock harness that went to the dummy plug.

View attachment 89468

Here is a better pic after the module was connected with the new harness. The dummy plug and stock harness are still sitting there (not seen) but can be removed if you desire.

View attachment 89469

And a reference shot of the floor/back wall area before pulling the interior shielding away.

View attachment 89470

First sensor connected (as far as I could get) until I try pcar's way. Apparently my screen is dusty......didn't look like that in person.

View attachment 89471
Did you need to remove the whole seat or just the bottom cushion?

Users who are viewing this thread