5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

HomeyHD

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a '21 Bighorn 3500 and looking at adding this to it, but cannot find compatible/matching wireless control module reciever. I'm guessing due to being heavy duty mine could be a different part number.

PunisherCTSV

Reaction score
I’ll figure it out this weekend and PM you. Before you do anything, this is a gamble if it’ll work on the 2019-2020s, you really need to use AlfaOBD to enable the settings in the BCM to see if the radio and EVIC supports the feature. With the settings enabled, but no hardware/wiring installed, you should get this message on start up-
Tmv3KfN.jpg

You should get this screen in the trailer menu-
M9DscGA.jpg

And you should get this setting in the trailer brake settings menu-
Uai0SUN.jpg
Question so I have everything installed and everything enabled via Alfaobd but I am still getting the service required screen. I have gone through and verified connections and wiring. A couple times and all seems to be correct. I don’t remember this showing up the first few times I started the truck but I could have not been paying attention. These are the parts I bought. Mine is a 22
Part numbers:
68493608AA - Gateway Module Trailer tire pressure monitoring sys. interface
68412666AA - Jumper Cable for TIM Module
68526635AB - Wireless Control Receiver
Jimmy007 made the harness to plug into the rear harness
68516743AA - TPMS Sensor Kit (4)
And set Alfa OBD to this:
1. VehConfig 8: Trailer TPM Present, Set this to enable
2. P/T Chasis Net: TTPM Trailer Tire Pressure monitoring, Set this to enable

Ram8472

Reaction score
Question so I have everything installed and everything enabled via Alfaobd but I am still getting the service required screen. I have gone through and verified connections and wiring. A couple times and all seems to be correct. I don’t remember this showing up the first few times I started the truck but I could have not been paying attention. These are the parts I bought. Mine is a 22
Part numbers:
68493608AA - Gateway Module Trailer tire pressure monitoring sys. interface
68412666AA - Jumper Cable for TIM Module
68526635AB - Wireless Control Receiver
Jimmy007 made the harness to plug into the rear harness
68516743AA - TPMS Sensor Kit (4)
And set Alfa OBD to this:
1. VehConfig 8: Trailer TPM Present, Set this to enable
2. P/T Chasis Net: TTPM Trailer Tire Pressure monitoring, Set this to enable

"service required screen" indicates one of the two modules is not connected correctly, you get the same error when they do not exist and you enable #1 and #2 in Alpha OBD.

PunisherCTSV

Reaction score
"service required screen" indicates one of the two modules is not connected correctly, you get the same error when they do not exist and you enable #1 and #2 in Alpha OBD.
Is there a way to tell which one is faulted? Both modules and cables are brand new and you can’t really screw up connecting them. I’d hate to buy two new modules to test with.

Ram8472

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell which one is faulted? Both modules and cables are brand new and you can’t really screw up connecting them. I’d hate to buy two new modules to test with.

With a good scanner you can check the status of the modules TIM 68493608AA and TTPM 68526635AB ( mine is also a 2022 )
All of the trailer config is stored in TTPM out under the bumper.

Without a scanner you could use Alpha OBD to check if ether of them has set a code.
Possibly double check the pin positions on the new cable by the bumper , TIM is less likely to be the problem as you just plug it in.
When i installed mine, i did the TIM and the Alpha OBD settings , and i had the service required screen until i got the harness from Jimmy07

Screen shot of TTPM Config attached

Attachments

• PXL_20230515_234139040.jpg
    PXL_20230515_234139040.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 31

PunisherCTSV

Reaction score
With a good scanner you can check the status of the modules TIM 68493608AA and TTPM 68526635AB ( mine is also a 2022 )
All of the trailer config is stored in TTPM out under the bumper.

Without a scanner you could use Alpha OBD to check if ether of them has set a code.
Possibly double check the pin positions on the new cable by the bumper , TIM is less likely to be the problem as you just plug it in.
When i installed mine, i did the TIM and the Alpha OBD settings , and i had the service required screen until i got the harness from Jimmy07

Screen shot of TTPM Config attached
Thanks I will use Alfa and check. I haven’t had a scan tool since I stopped being a tech years ago. I took the connector apart yesterday to verify I pinned it correctly. it is pinned correctly and I put the pins in the position they where labeled For.

Ted wilson

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 limited and am looking at adding the trailer tpms.
After going through this thread a few times i have a few questions:
1) the harness that Jimmy07 makes. How much is it and where does it go. I see it goes into the plug but where does the other end go?
2) can you use oyher sensors? I already have tst507 sensors on 2 trailers. I would need to nuy 4 new sensirs for the 2 trailers.
3) there is discussions on 2 modules. I know one hors in the floor behind the back seat. Where dors the second one go?
I have the alpha and have seen the trailer tpms setting but i have not enabled ot yet.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 limited and am looking at adding the trailer tpms.
After going through this thread a few times i have a few questions:
1) the harness that Jimmy07 makes. How much is it and where does it go. I see it goes into the plug but where does the other end go?
2) can you use oyher sensors? I already have tst507 sensors on 2 trailers. I would need to nuy 4 new sensirs for the 2 trailers.
3) there is discussions on 2 modules. I know one hors in the floor behind the back seat. Where dors the second one go?
I have the alpha and have seen the trailer tpms setting but i have not enabled ot yet.
1) You have a 2500, so you don’t need a custom harness. (I think I mentioned this to you before, but you really need to be asking modification questions about your truck on hdrams.com forum. This is the 1500 forum, and most of the info on here doesn’t apply to your truck)
2) No.
3) Behind the rear license plate. And, because you have a 2500, the one that goes behind the back seat on the 1500 goes up in the headliner on a 2500.

jonzee

Reaction score
Hi there, it's my first time posting on this forum. So far you've all saved me $$ after I found the directions for installing the brake controller on my 2020 1500.

Now I'm looking into the trailer tpms. After reading through this I can't tell if anyone has successfully installed it? What part of the process and where on the truck might I need this custom made wiring harness adapter?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Respond to Jimmy_07 above your post. He has all that info. He's extremely helpful with these things.

biohazard

Reaction score
I see them all the time on Craigslist for $60.

edit: I'm glad you said something -- I saw these on ebay, also for $60. Going to return the amazon order. Thanks

The sensors for trailers? These are not the same ones that go on your truck.
And I definitely don't see them for sale around here (DC area).

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
edit: I'm glad you said something -- I saw these on ebay, also for $60. Going to return the amazon order. Thanks

The sensors for trailers? These are not the same ones that go on your truck.
And I definitely don't see them for sale around here (DC area).
Yes I see the sensors for the trailers. I do believe they are actually the same as the truck though. You just have to make sure the frequency matches, there are a couple different frequencies used. Right now there is only one in metro Detroit area.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I see the sensors for the trailers. I do believe they are actually the same as the truck though. You just have to make sure the frequency matches, there are a couple different frequencies used. Right now there is only one in metro Detroit area.
The trailer TPMS sensors are not the same as the truck tire sensors, and there are also no compatible aftermarket sensors reported working so far for the factory trailer TPMS.

6of36

Reaction score
The trailer TPMS sensors are not the same as the truck tire sensors, and there are also no compatible aftermarket sensors reported working so far for the factory trailer TPMS.
Curiosity, what is the difference? All other tpms sensors are interchangeable between manufacturers, as long as the frequency is correct. The only thing I could see, would be signal strength, to send to a farther away receiver.

GDA87

Reaction score
Does the trailer TPMS work with any mopar tire pressure sensor?

I have Ram 3500 flat towing a Jeep JL.

Wanted to use the TTPMS to monitor the Jeep's tire pressure.

Just not sure do i have to drill 4 new holes on the rims to add extra trailer TPMS , or i can pair the original Sensor to Ram 's trailer TPMS ?

Thanks!

6of36

Reaction score

Just not sure do i have to drill 4 new holes on the rims to add extra trailer TPMS , or i can pair the original Sensor to Ram 's trailer TPMS ?

Thanks!
Try parking the Jeep right behind, and try pairing them to see. They would have to be proper frequency to have a chance. I haven't gotten an answer as to what would be different, as long as frequency matches. Let us know.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curiosity, what is the difference? All other tpms sensors are interchangeable between manufacturers, as long as the frequency is correct. The only thing I could see, would be signal strength, to send to a farther away receiver.
They use different protocols to transmit their data. It’s not at all as simple as the frequencies being the same.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks!
The answer to this is in post #135.

Users who are viewing this thread