5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS reset after changing wheels and tires?

DublDeuce

Reaction score
I have no experience with a tool like that. I'm curious if it would sense the Ram 1500 Rebel TPMS sensors?

DublDeuce

Reaction score
I really hate sounding stupid. I just learned the Rebel tire pressure is 55 in front and 45 in back. I had them inflated to 40 psi. Could it be my Bighorn is not reading the TPMS sensors because the pressure is too low?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
No thats not it. The sensors will read down to low pressure. Maybe the wheels and tires came from canada or something? I bought some ram wheels from a limited that looked a little different than anything I've seen and despite having oem sensors they were all dead and didn't register. No tool would wake them up. Had to put new ones in. So the only real solution is you need a TPMS tool, or take it to a tire shop. The tire shops will have the right tool. Most will scan for free because the sensors are most likely broken or wrong and they will sell and install their house brand.

DublDeuce

Reaction score
I hate to keep this going. My local mechanic determined sensors are there but said he would have to change them out to work. I guess that means he can't change the settings in the computer? My guess is my friendly Ram dealer can.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
You can change the IDs in the ecu with a tool like the autel with an OBD security bypass cable. I almost went this route but decided modifying the ecu is more risk/expensive than just getting the correct sensors that the ecu is factory programmed to use. The dealer would mist likely just tell you that new sensors are needed as well at a much larger expense. Ive been where you are plenty of times and it a bummer to shell out cash for new sensors but then at least you know the valvestems are brand new and you get a rotation and balance out of the deal.

DublDeuce

Reaction score
You can change the IDs in the ecu with a tool like the autel with an OBD security bypass cable. I almost went this route but decided modifying the ecu is more risk/expensive than just getting the correct sensors that the ecu is factory programmed to use. The dealer would mist likely just tell you that new sensors are needed as well at a much larger expense. Ive been where you are plenty of times and it a bummer to shell out cash for new sensors but then at least you know the valvestems are brand new and you get a rotation and balance out of the deal.
The OEM sensors are in the Rebel wheels. I'm guessing Ram can fix that.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Let us know when you get them going and the steps to get you there.

Giattjos

Reaction score
I have a 2022 RAM 2500 6.4 Tradesman. I upgraded the rins and tires off another ram to the black 20” and the tpms took a week to register. Then last week i put a new battery in and now rhe tpms is unavailable and all tires read 0. Ive driven a few hundred miles and no change. I went to a tire shop and they used the tool and said none were respnding and all were dead. I find that hard to believe. Any one have any experience with similar issues?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
If they took a week to register initially, the batteries were probably very weak. They should register in a few minutes / few miles. The batteries are likely too low now for the reset ecu to pickup.

Giattjos

Reaction score
Thanks the sensors and tires are only two years old. The wheels actually sat in a garage for a year before i put them on. Would that seem strange for all 4 to be dead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/