5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS reset after changing wheels and tires?

Jeeper

Reaction score
ok...wonder if dealer could change the ratings. Either way it will work. still curious as to why the rear calls for 10psi less than the front for the Rebel

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

6ixxxFew

Reaction score
In summary:

You need 433 mHz TPMS for our trucks. The truck will automatically pick them up after some miles --> no calibration needed. If you put another frequency sensor in your wheels, then additional black box magic is needed. Buy the right frequency sensors and you're good to go. The classic 2019 and new body 2019 sensors are different! Be diligent about your research or your local dealer invoice before you hit the buy button
I know this post is old but had to hop on it. I just changed out to aftermarket wheels with aftermarket sensors. I got the message that the TPMS wasn't being read. I just checked the MHz with my handy/dandy ATEQ VT30 and they all read 433. I drive a half hour to work and it still hasn't reset. Any ideas??

Jusgettingbuy

Reaction score
Make sure you drive around a bit to "wake" them up. If they still aren't recognized they're either missing or damaged.

Complete bullshlt. FCA sensors are automatically recognized after a few tire rotations. You should ask for a refund for whatever they charged you to do this "introduction".
He is 100% correct . Just changed my wheels along with new OEM sensors and didn’t have to do anything but drive the vehicle. Actually, after we installed the wheels I went to the tpms display on instrument cluster and held the steering wheel button down for about 2-3 seconds until the display blinked. Drove the truck for about 4 miles and the new pressures showed up. Just a note, the pressure from my previous tires continued to show until that 4 mile drive reset them.

alanh2c6

Reaction score
I’m still having an issue with new TPMS not reading. I will try again

JimD007

Reaction score
I had Discount Tire replace my right front tire due to an unpatchable hole from a screw. I took a trip right after that, total of over 2000 miles, and the TPMS worked intermittantly. So I went back and I think they put a new sensor in the wheel. Then I took another trip of over 500 miles each way. TPMS still works intermittantly. The other 3 wheels pressure is always visible but the new tire pressure is available sometimes and not other times. Works for maybe an hour and then off for maybe an hour. The time working is not consistent. My 2019 Ram 1500 is a classic Tradesman. Any idea what is going on? Would the sensor from a 2019 Ram (not classic) cause this sort of intermittant functioning?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had Discount Tire replace my right front tire due to an unpatchable hole from a screw. I took a trip right after that, total of over 2000 miles, and the TPMS worked intermittantly. So I went back and I think they put a new sensor in the wheel. Then I took another trip of over 500 miles each way. TPMS still works intermittantly. The other 3 wheels pressure is always visible but the new tire pressure is available sometimes and not other times. Works for maybe an hour and then off for maybe an hour. The time working is not consistent. My 2019 Ram 1500 is a classic Tradesman. Any idea what is going on? Would the sensor from a 2019 Ram (not classic) cause this sort of intermittant functioning?

I've read a lot of negative posts about the TPMS that Discount uses. They're pretty expensive too. When I bought my aftermarket wheels and tires, I bought OEM sensors from a guy on eBay and had Discount install them. I saved money and my sensors have been spot on from the beginning.

Bfifty1fifty

Reaction score
i have a 2021 1500 laramie, i had 2 tires replaced (rear,) 2 weeks later i replaced the front, when the front were installed, the rear right wheel no longer shows any pressure and the TPMS light is on....on occassion, the dash will have the front wheel blank and the rest showing tire pressure- after truck is turned off , it reverts to the rear right wheel again- strange.. is there a way to reset the tire pressure monitors?

Andrew Gross

Reaction score
TPMS sensors will self calibrate after several miles, no need to do anything.
i had all four complete wheels, replaced at the dealer off a new truck and within 5 or so miles all was normal
What if the new tires require a different PSI than the stock ones? Say the stock PSI is 55 and the new tires require 35 PSI, I'm assuming the the truck will not account for that and will show there is low tire pressure right? how can the PSI for the monitoring system be changed for the new wheel specs? Or will it somehow know and update automatically after driving it?

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What if the new tires require a different PSI than the stock ones? Say the stock PSI is 55 and the new tires require 35 PSI, I'm assuming the the truck will not account for that and will show there is low tire pressure right? how can the PSI for the monitoring system be changed for the new wheel specs? Or will it somehow know and update automatically after driving it?
Like earlier in the thread. You need AlfaOBD or TazerDT to change the PSI.

90Addict

Reaction score
Hope I get a response on this old thread... I'm having issues with custom offsets tpms that they installed with their wheel/tire mount balance. They refunded me the money and I found OEM tpms on eBay. Is there a way to "test" them before I have tires taken off wheels, tpms installed, then mounted/balanced again? I don't wanna have to keep pulling these damn tires off the wheels lol. Thank you IMG_6427.jpeg IMG_5931.jpeg

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hope I get a response on this old thread... I'm having issues with custom offsets tpms that they installed with their wheel/tire mount balance. They refunded me the money and I found OEM tpms on eBay. Is there a way to "test" them before I have tires taken off wheels, tpms installed, then mounted/balanced again? I don't wanna have to keep pulling these damn tires off the wheels lol. Thank you View attachment 165636 View attachment 165637
I had the same problem with Custom Offsets sensors. I have the OEM ones and just haven’t done it.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Ive used oem sensors and autel sensors with their programmer with 100% success. The only (maybe) way to test would be to put them in the wheel wells and leave the ignition on for like 15 minutes but not sure if that will work. Usually if they work the ram will pick them up within a few minutes of driving when they are rotating.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive used oem sensors and autel sensors with their programmer with 100% success. The only (maybe) way to test would be to put them in the wheel wells and leave the ignition on for like 15 minutes but not sure if that will work. Usually if they work the ram will pick them up within a few minutes of driving when they are rotating.
That was my understanding. I went to get them activated by a tire place and they said they could not even detect them with their devices.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hope I get a response on this old thread... I'm having issues with custom offsets tpms that they installed with their wheel/tire mount balance. They refunded me the money and I found OEM tpms on eBay. Is there a way to "test" them before I have tires taken off wheels, tpms installed, then mounted/balanced again? I don't wanna have to keep pulling these damn tires off the wheels lol. Thank you View attachment 165636 View attachment 165637
My Autel TPM reader does not pick up the Ram TPMS or my wife's 2017 Civic. I can't speak for dealerships' abilities.

Last edited:

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I know this post is old but had to hop on it. I just changed out to aftermarket wheels with aftermarket sensors. I got the message that the TPMS wasn't being read. I just checked the MHz with my handy/dandy ATEQ VT30 and they all read 433. I drive a half hour to work and it still hasn't reset. Any ideas??
Just to add to the discussion, from my findings with FCA tpms, even having the correct frequency wont always work. I went thru this on my 2018 jeep. Its the ID number assigned to each tpms that matters. If the ID number is outside of the range programmed into the ecu then the vehicle wont pick them up. The only options are to reprogram the ecu (difficult without the right tools, and risky) or program the tpms sensors with IDs inside the range or string of numbers the ecu is looking for. Once the correct IDs are programmed the ecu will pick them up within a half mile.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add to the discussion, from my findings with FCA tpms, even having the correct frequency wont always work. I went thru this on my 2018 jeep. Its the ID number assigned to each tpms that matters. If the ID number is outside of the range programmed into the ecu then the vehicle wont pick them up. The only options are to reprogram the ecu (difficult without the right tools, and risky) or program the tpms sensors with IDs inside the range or string of numbers the ecu is looking for. Once the correct IDs are programmed the ecu will pick them up within a half mile.
Apparently the tire shops I went to don't know how to do any of that.

Users who are viewing this thread