5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS reset after changing wheels and tires?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. 50 miles home and 1 was still on 3off. I removed the spare and hard reset the truck (positive batt cable removed for 20 minutes) and same thing. Seems to idle smoother and run better after the reset too. Maybe ive got some damaged sensors. Going to get try a few more miles to see if they pickup, if not ill probably swap them out, or take it to the dealer, there is an open recall on mine about the cruise control software. For the record I swapped the tires to 275-60/20 so they are bigger than factory and cooper discovery at3 4s which has silica compound, not sure if that can block readings or something.

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_1659043.jpg
    IMG_20200130_1659043.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 90

rob989_69

Reaction score
I bought a set of wheels/tires on CL. They have TPMS sensors but the wheels were originally on a chevy. I'm assuming they're the wrong frequency. Can a dealer do something to make them work of would I have to swap them out?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a set of wheels/tires on CL. They have TPMS sensors but the wheels were originally on a chevy. I'm assuming they're the wrong frequency. Can a dealer do something to make them work of would I have to swap them out?

you need to find out what frequency the Chevy tpms are. The new rams use 315mhz as their freq. Technically if the Chevy are the same they should work but it’s not always the case for various reasons. The sensors used to be expensive but they are dirt cheap now. You can get the oem sensors on eBay now for $35 or less for all 4.

rob989_69

Reaction score
you need to find out what frequency the Chevy tpms are. The new rams use 315mhz as their freq. Technically if the Chevy are the same they should work but it’s not always the case for various reasons. The sensors used to be expensive but they are dirt cheap now. You can get the oem sensors on eBay now for $35 or less for all 4.
Thanks. Just bought a set for $35 with tax. Can't beat that with a stick. BTW, pretty sure the frequency is 433mhz. basing that on what's listed on amazon (And amazon is never wrong) But also previous posts. Thanks though, didn't think of ebay for some reason.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I had my tire guy scan the tpms sensors and he said they were outputting nothing, dead basically. So I ordered a new set of mopar part number 68293199AA sensors which should work. Going to have the tire shop swap them out and going to have them return the old ones to me so I can see if there is a swappable battery in them or something. Ill update after I get the new sensors installed.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Got the new sensors installed, and TPMS started working correctly within 10 miles. All good, I can confirm mopar 68293199AA works good. Paid 100 for the set.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will having a 5th one in a spare under the bed be a problem with the system?

Last edited:

dfrink

Reaction score
I just put a set of rebel wheels / tires on my 5th Gen 1500. I increased the tire pressure to 45psi (up from 32) and noticed that all 4 sensors were reporting as such. The old wheels are sitting in my garage 10’ from my truck. The next day, all sensor showw as missing? Any ideas?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I just put a set of rebel wheels / tires on my 5th Gen 1500. I increased the tire pressure to 45psi (up from 32) and noticed that all 4 sensors were reporting as such. The old wheels are sitting in my garage 10’ from my truck. The next day, all sensor showw as missing? Any ideas?
Drive the truck more. Also try removing neg batt cable for 10 minutes to reset the computers if that doesn’t work.

dfrink

Reaction score
Drive the truck more. Also try removing neg batt cable for 10 minutes to reset the computers if that doesn’t work.
I’ll try the battery today. I’ve got nearly 100 miles miles on the new wheels / tires.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the sensors have to be “introduced” to the vehicle. A dealer or repair shop can do this in about 10-15 minutes.

I have a shop swap out mounted snows and all seasons twice a year. They use a handheld tool to program the sensors as part of the swap.

BTW, this must be done each time the vehicle ‘sees’ a change, even with previously set up tires.
Odd. I changed to some that I bought off of the forum and they self calibrated.

dannw1431

Reaction score
I just changed from my OEM stock wheels and tires to Rebel wheels and tires yesterday. Today on the way home from work I get a warning that there is an error from the TPMS not reading any tire pressure. Is there any kind of reset I have to do? Drove fine yesterday and this morning on the way to work.

On a similar note, I put the four extra TPMS that came with my ‘21 Ram Laramie in my four travel trailer tires. I paired them with my truck using the procedure outlined in the owners manual and it worked great. But after I unhitched my trailer and later checked the trailer tire pressure by parking next to the trailer it doesn’t register any pressure in the trailer tires. Do you need to drive them to wake them up each time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a similar note, I put the four extra TPMS that came with my ‘21 Ram Laramie in my four travel trailer tires. I paired them with my truck using the procedure outlined in the owners manual and it worked great. But after I unhitched my trailer and later checked the trailer tire pressure by parking next to the trailer it doesn’t register any pressure in the trailer tires. Do you need to drive them to wake them up each time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I would guess. Otherwise the battery would go dead in a short time. I use Steelmates and they go to sleep to save battery.

Dakeyras

Reaction score

Any updates on this? Going through the same issue now, bought some rebel rims for my bighorn and after 5 miles the tpms system went offline/not registering the wheels. Suspicious that the guy removed the sensors, but he seemed honest and told me they were working just fine on his rebel.

Jeeper

Reaction score
how does the vehicle know the different tire pressures required? eg. the Rebel door sticker says 45 rear and 55 front. if I switched tire size/style that have a different psi rating how do I set the computer to recognize the new pressure required without triggering a dummy tpms light?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how does the vehicle know the different tire pressures required? eg. the Rebel door sticker says 45 rear and 55 front. if I switched tire size/style that have a different psi rating how do I set the computer to recognize the new pressure required without triggering a dummy tpms light?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

you will need TazerDT to change the PSI number.

Users who are viewing this thread