5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS reset after changing wheels and tires?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
None of the tire shops I went to knew either. I figured it out myself from research, trial and error. This is the autel device I used to read / program / and figure things out. This allowed me to pull the IDs from the ecu that the vehicle was looking for and program those IDs to new sensors. You can also clone oem sensor ID from the sensors, but mine were gone as I sold the oem wheels with them still inside.

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpeg
    IMG_3239.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 11

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
None of the tire shops I went to knew either. I figured it out myself from research, trial and error. This is the autel device I used to read / program / and figure things out. This allowed me to pull the IDs from the ecu that the vehicle was looking for and program those IDs to new sensors. You can also clone oem sensor ID from the sensors, but mine were gone as I sold the oem wheels with them still inside.
Wanna send it to me so I can do mine? lol

The tire shops I went to said they could not even get the sensors to turn on with their devices.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Luck for me too.
I bought OEM sensors for my rebel wheels. They responded within the first 1/2 mile of driving.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Luck for me too.
I bought OEM sensors for my rebel wheels. They responded within the first 1/2 mile of driving.
I have OEM sensors in my toolbox. Just don’t feel like paying to have them installed.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Oem sensors will always work even with different IDs because the IDs are within the range of what the ecu will read. The autel can also generate random IDs that oems would use and that works too. From my research I conclude the ecu looks for a specific string of letter and numbers,
For example it will read XXXX1234
But it won’t read X1X2X3X4
The aftermarket sensors will be the correct frequency but the ID will be truncated in a way the ecu won’t register. It also seems newer vehicles are more picky with this than older vehicles.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can you post the steps if not too big of a problem, I have the 601 which works the same as the 508.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky. I bought new wheels and aftermarket sensors and within a few miles all was well. It picked them up and I have never looked back.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky. I bought new wheels and aftermarket sensors and within a few miles all was well. It picked them up and I have never looked back.
I ordered from CustomOffsets and had everything pre-installed. Won't even turn on apparently. They did refund the price of the sensors and i bought some OEM ones. Too cheap to go have them installed though XD

BLK_RAM

Reaction score
Hi guys! Hoping someone can help me. I'm buying a set of limited night edition take off's on Craigslist today. It has TPMS already. I called a shop and he said his TPMS won't work on my truck. He says my truck won't read another trucks TPMS just like my key fob won't work to unlock another truck. Is this true? I thought if it was OEM it'll sync up.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi guys! Hoping someone can help me. I'm buying a set of limited night edition take off's on Craigslist today. It has TPMS already. I called a shop and he said his TPMS won't work on my truck. He says my truck won't read another trucks TPMS just like my key fob won't work to unlock another truck. Is this true? I thought if it was OEM it'll sync up.

They don't know what they are talking about. If they are OEM TPMS, your truck will pick them up in a few minutes/miles.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Can you post the steps if not too big of a problem, I have the 601 which works the same as the 508.
I just followed the steps in the included quick start manual included with the unit. They also have the manual online if you don’t have one. These autels are pretty simple to use, basically plug in your year/make/model and follow the prompts on what you are trying to do. Make sure the unit is updated to the latest software before starting.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was another way to say “ you need new sensors, so we’ll need to dismount the tire, install new sensors and charge you for it, even though I know I’m full of 💩”…
And to compare them to a key fob…🤦🏻‍♂️
I would stay away from this shop, period.
That being said, I have swapped out all OEM sensors with new wheels and tires, TWICE, and they were reading before I even left the shop. Zero issues syncing up. Good luck. 👍

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Just bought a set of 2023 Rebel wheels and tires, but my 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn is not picking up the TPMS sensors. You'd think the 22 would pick up the 23.

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Any chance a 22 Bighorn cant pick up the TPMS sensors from a 23 Rebel?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Are you sure there are sensors in the wheels and not just regular valve stems? You need a tpms tool to check them if they are there, working, at what frequency they are working at. Any tire shop should be able to tell you.

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Are you sure there are sensors in the wheels and not just regular valve stems? You need a tpms tool to check them if they are there, working, at what frequency they are working at. Any tire shop should be able to tell you.
I was just going by what the seller said. When I looked at JSCAN, it appeared to be looking for a specific "code" so I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything for it to go into a Learn Mode. I'll take it by my mechanic.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
You just need to drive it around and the truck will auto learn if they are the correct frequency and the have the correct ID range. I learned that Chrysler's are sensitive to the ID range as I put wrangler wheels on my grand cherokee and despite being the correct frequency the ID range was outside what the vehicle could read. I had to bite the bullet and bought new sensors and a programming tool to get correct sensors programmed. Any tire shop can do this but I wanted to learn more about the technology and how they work. Now that I own the tool im never stuck with non working tpms 😀

DublDeuce

Reaction score
You just need to drive it around and the truck will auto learn if they are the correct frequency and the have the correct ID range. I learned that Chrysler's are sensitive to the ID range as I put wrangler wheels on my grand cherokee and despite being the correct frequency the ID range was outside what the vehicle could read. I had to bite the bullet and bought new sensors and a programming tool to get correct sensors programmed. Any tire shop can do this but I wanted to learn more about the technology and how they work. Now that I own the tool im never stuck with non working tpms 😀
What tool did you buy? I think I am in the same boat.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I bought the autel ts508. I use the autel tpms sensors and program them with the tool and have 0 issues. I did have to pay the tire shop to break the bead and install them but at least got a rotation out of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread