5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing: Will the 1500 meet my needs or am I waiting for the 2500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The loaner I have does have dual exhausts. It has some sort of black out package.
Not a fan of the blackout package, but they do have a package that replaces the 4th Gen Express package...I would entertain that.

Ram really does have a flavor for everyone...Pretty soon they will be adding the whip cream and then the cherry.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Ramajama was kind enough to give me a pic of his payload sticker. He is a proud owner of the amazing Ram Powerwagon.

Well, that info made the Rebel seem alot more viable to me, although the Powerwagon is alot more wanted.

Rams payload quote is 1850...well, that is oviously for a Tradesman with Powerwagon package.

703179C8-6336-41F5-961E-0FCC8FD7D2EE.jpeg

Guess I will just buy the 17 year old a nice gently used durango, and then she can haul her sister and all the stuff.

See, I keep coming up with something, problem being...I would want to spend my money on a Durango SRT and then bam...17 year old isn't driving it. Lol

The problems we have...

Ramajama

Reaction score
@Ramajama was kind enough to give me a pic of his payload sticker. He is a proud owner of the amazing Ram Powerwagon.

Well, that info made the Rebel seem alot more viable to me, although the Powerwagon is alot more wanted.

Rams payload quote is 1850...well, that is oviously for a Tradesman with Powerwagon package.

View attachment 4688

Guess I will just buy the 17 year old a nice gently used durango, and then she can haul her sister and all the stuff.

See, I keep coming up with something, problem being...I would want to spend my money on a Durango SRT and then bam...17 year old isn't driving it. Lol

The problems we have...

Yes sir! Our first world problems.....LOL!!

FWIW, A Durango for a 17 y/o is an awesome idea IMHO. That would be a sweet and versatile ride.

PS, keep in mind, I have rear airbags on my PW so it definately helps bolster the payload capacity. Best mod Ive ever done to a truck. (y)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1700lbs of payload, 585lbs of passengers, 675lbs of tongue weight.

440lbs left over. Tradesman could work.

Rebel will give me 340...may be ok.

Laramie is pushing it, and I really am not interested in a limited, so it is looking promising again.

The trucktrend competition that is going on will be an interesting take on my thoughts.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
The HD is revealed, feature and towing guide available and I am very glad I held off.

Maybe a used 5th Gen 1500 will be the wifes/family truck someday.

I kind of envy you. I could have held off and maybe had a Powerwagon with 12". I still love my 1500, but I'll always feel like I should have waited to get more payload.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of envy you. I could have held off and maybe had a Powerwagon with 12". I still love my 1500, but I'll always feel like I should have waited to get more payload.
A fully loaded Powerwagon only has 1330 lbs of payload.

The Tradesman with Powerwagon package only has a max of 1660.

I want a Powerwagon so bad. If my 99 wasn't rusting away, I would already own one to be trading on the 2019 in May.

I hope to have one as a play truck in a couple years...but it will be a Tradesman for me...trying to talk myself into a Bighorn...but I want a Laramie.

Still got some decisions to make lol

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
A fully loaded Powerwagon only has 1330 lbs of payload.

The Tradesman with Powerwagon package only has a max of 1660.

I want a Powerwagon so bad. If my 99 wasn't rusting away, I would already own one to be trading on the 2019 in May.

I hope to have one as a play truck in a couple years...but it will be a Tradesman for me...trying to talk myself into a Bighorn...but I want a Laramie.

Still got some decisions to make lol

Take away a few of the heavy options and it'll be over 1500-1600lbs of payload. That's my comfort zone where I no longer really have to worry about payload with any of the campers and gear we're likely to buy or take with us.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It only has 1000 more lbs of GCWR than a 3.92 equipped 1500 also.

I really want one...just not on the need list.

They tow just as well as any other 2500, just at less capacity and a but more squat.

Oh, here i go trying to convince myself again.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased my tow rig/work truck/heavy hauler, which opens up my discussion for a Rebel or Powerwagon. Just wanted to give some info for comparison.

2015 RAM 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 8 foot bed. 392 Hemi 66RFE 4x4 3.73 rear anti-spin.

I got the absolute highest payload I could get in this configurstion.. only detriment is the protection package.

Curb Weight 7002
GVWR 10000
GCWR 19800
payload 2998
Trailer. 12413(just me and my toolbox)

RAM's towing chart numbers...
Curb weight 6891
Payload 3110
Trailer 12400
So you can see the protection group weighs just over 110 lbs.

My current setup doesn't come close to the capacity...so I wont be wondering where to pack the pillows, or draining my tanks.

Now, what's next. New Camper? I can now get a Rebel or Powerwagon. Just waiting to see how Ram answers Ford's new BGE, and what goodies the TRX will share with the Rebel Brand.

I have lots of patience...but I am anxious.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t have exact numbers, the trailer is a toy hauler, so the specifications are a bit misleading, if I loaded with toys I could overload the truck. It pulls fine, gas mileage sucks. Did have to turn off the lane assist, it made it sway a bit

6348 dry weight, max cargo 4617

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By the way, the background is from the camp 18 restaurant on the way to the Oregon coast

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So are you saying the Lane Assist made your rig sway? Or because of the sway you had to turn off the Lane Assist so it wasn't always reacting?

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lane assist reacts very fast, normally not a problem. With 30’ of trailer behind you, it was wagging a bit. Driver not paying attention to the lanes did not help

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, camping season starts tonight. I have decided to stay with a 2500, but am anxious to see the 5th Gen 1500 doing its thing and hearing our members experience.

Some of you guys are hauling very large campers...so very anxious to hear your thoughts at the begining and then the end of the season.

Happy Camping to all and safe travels.

Users who are viewing this thread