5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing: Will the 1500 meet my needs or am I waiting for the 2500.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I should say where it says features guide in my message above is a link to the features guide. I know I got the links to show up blue on desktop but it looks like they still match the text on mobile.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2013 Ram 2500 crew shortbed 6.7 Cummins auto 4x4

Curb weight 7463
GVWR 10000
GCVWR 24000
Trailer 16370
Payload 2600

My trip to scales with me 5 other passengers and our stuff...8170
2018-07-15 11.14.27.png

Ok posted this for a few threads.

This is obviously not going to answer our questions, but will get us closer.

From tradesman to bighorn -20lbs
From bighorn to Laramie -20 lbs
From Laramie to longhorn -120lbs

Notice the powerwagon really suffers when you get the loaded trim.

So from base to loaded we lost 160lbs. But remeber this is still at SAE J2807 standards with 33 % options.

I am trying to locate a 1500 chart,

But if someone can give any of this info on their 2018, it looks like the new Ram added 300 lbs of GVWR capacity to the 5th Gen

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To add to the info tradesman has a base weight of 7383 and the longhorn is 7536...so 153 pound difference.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After our recent discusions it seems what I thought was going to be my usual payload is probably going to be actual payload.

I really want to convince myself a 1500 could work out, but not so sure.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I figure my builds would fall into the 33% so figure back in the 300lbs and wham...the payload would be 2050lbs.(if my interpretation of the charts is right)

Take the weight of us at 585 lbs and we have a useable payload of 1465lbs...not too bad
1f914.png
1f610.png

Trailer tongue weight of 650 to 700 and that leaves 765 lbs
1f914.png
1f609.png
...I can work with that.
263a.png

Can't haul a ton of stone with the family
2639.png
, but I just have to unload less
1f61c.png

So, as I said got to go over a Rebel in person and the payload says 1630...alot less then my original test figure of 2050. 420 lbs gone. So it only leaves 345 lbs. Not real great...but not a deal bresker on our current setup.

My son is trying to grow 3 1/4 inches for the Hellcat thrill ride and our middle daughter is still growing too...and they keep asking for another St. Bernard, so looks like I have to stay with a 6500lb trailer and can't get the dog of the kids keep growing.

Looks like the 2018 Ram 2500 I have been eyeing has moved up a notch...gonna wait atleast 2 calendar years to get the 5th Gen.

Need more Rebel payload stickers to see if it just might work out.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just for reference the Big Horn 2500 that was also on display had 3080 lbs of payload. The 2500 I am almost all in on will have even more. As much as I love the Rebel, the travel trailers we have been looking at have about 950 lb tongue weight. So the Rebel doesn't offer much for the expansion of the travel trailer.

Guess I know the answer...just got to bite the bullet and make the decision.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my wife just threw me a curveball. Local dealer has gotten in there Rebel, granite crystal.

We checked all over the Rebel at Truck nationals.

She says to me, I love that truck do they make it in a 2500, dolp...yeah...in a powerwagon (the truck I have been telling her every 4 days since 2010 that I wanted) and then I explain how the Powerwagon is down on payload and the Rebel is actual real close to it and would get better mileage.

She says think we can get the Rebel. I said, if you don't want to get that bigger travel trailer or we continue to drive two vehicles all the time.

So as I pull past the Rebel, a bee stings me in the forehead...so was that to say...get the ANGRY BEE, was it to say get the Rebel, or was it to say leave here and get the 2500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1623 lbs minus 590 lbs of passengers =1033 minus our presentire 650 lb tongue weight=383lbs left. New trailer prospects take another 300 lbs for tongue weight...may work now, but her dream travel trailer will work us out of payload. :cry:

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
1623 lbs minus 590 lbs of passengers =1033 minus our presentire 650 lb tongue weight=383lbs left. New trailer prospects take another 300 lbs for tongue weight...may work now, but her dream travel trailer will work us out of payload. :cry:

The exact same dilemma I had. I decided to order the 1500. If we end up going a lot bigger on a camper in the future we'll trade in and trade up to a 2500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, @MrHankbot I have been able to decide I have no need for a Cummins, after owning one for 4 years we never really needed it...Sure it is nice to not have to worry what is behind you...but the Cummins drops payload pretty good on 2500 and we were never going to be interested in a trailer much north of 10000lbs.

We constantly need more bed space...so we have decided on a long bed (8') and there just isn't that option in 1500 (with crew)

The truck I am looking at...https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...d-of-a-manual-gear-shifter-and-3rd-pedal.843/ has roughly 3130 pounds of payload...so after the above figures we still have 1890 lbs leftover...267 lbs more than the Rebel started with.

But man I love the 5th Gen Rebel.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Well, @MrHankbot I have been able to decide I have no need for a Cummins, after owning one for 4 years we never really needed it...Sure it is nice to not have to worry what is behind you...but the Cummins drops payload pretty good on 2500 and we were never going to be interested in a trailer much north of 10000lbs.

We constantly need more bed space...so we have decided on a long bed (8') and there just isn't that option in 1500 (with crew)

The truck I am looking at...https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...d-of-a-manual-gear-shifter-and-3rd-pedal.843/ has roughly 3130 pounds of payload...so after the above figures we still have 1890 lbs leftover...267 lbs more than the Rebel started with.

But man I love the 5th Gen Rebel.

I hear ya. I read through that thread, looks like you're looking at about the same type of 2500 I'd spec if I decided I couldn't settle for the 1500.

Bed length and payload, the two disappointing things about my otherwise very exciting new truck (on order). A 6'4" bed with Ramboxes and 1800-1900lb payload on the Limited and I would be quite happy.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hear ya. I read through that thread, looks like you're looking at about the same type of 2500 I'd spec if I decided I couldn't settle for the 1500.

Bed length and payload, the two disappointing things about my otherwise very exciting new truck (on order). A 6'4" bed with Ramboxes and 1800-1900lb payload on the Limited and I would be quite happy.
Don't know if you seen the bad news...limited with RamBox only has 1201 lbs...would imagine the 6'4 will be even less

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Don't know if you seen the bad news...limited with RamBox only has 1201 lbs...would imagine the 6'4 will be even less

I saw that, the question is how much more will I have without the sunroof and only skid plates not the entire off-road group.

I may regret not going Laramie Longhorn with the standard suspension to save some weight and give more options for strengthening the back end if I needed to.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Zeronet has the options almost down to the pound now.

Most of our data is on limiteds, cause well, most of our members bought limiteds.

The sunroof seems to drop it quite abit. Nothing in the ORP really affects it except the protection group skid plates.

I can tell you if I was ordering a higher trim...it would be Laramie Offroad with sport appearance package.

But the only 1500 I want is Rebel, but it will be staying with 2500s as I had already planned.

Hope it works out for you and you are able to do what you need.

TimG

Reaction score
This has no bearing on your post, and may sound nitpicky, but I just cant get past the misspelling of "Cummins" on that chart. Having been a diesel guy for the last 15 or so years, it just kind of became a pet peeve hearing/seeing it called "Cummings". But, now that I'm going back to a gas engine, hopefully it wont grind my gears as much lol.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ha, that's what I ask all the craigslist guys that think their Cummins is worth three times the price they are offered.

Is the Cummings a special package...I noticed that on the chart...Couldn't change it though ha ha

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We got a Tradesman payload rating thanks to @VectorZ.

1793 lbs.

I just looked at some tradesman trims tonight. Only thing I am not digging about them is the lack of dual exhaust. But there is a package for that.

Still waiting for 5th Gen HD news. Although we got some neat new spy shots and video, no real news yet.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We got a Tradesman payload rating thanks to @VectorZ.

1793 lbs.

I just looked at some tradesman trims tonight. Only thing I am not digging about them is the lack of dual exhaust. But there is a package for that.

Still waiting for 5th Gen HD news. Although we got some neat new spy shots and video, no real news yet.
The loaner I have does have dual exhausts. It has some sort of black out package.

Users who are viewing this thread