5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing the new camper

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust and goes HD lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Anyone pulling a travel trailer often should upgrade. I have a coworker who is looking to get a 5th wheel and pull it with his 1500 ecodiesel. The trailers pin weight is more than his payload.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone pulling a travel trailer often should upgrade. I have a coworker who is looking to get a 5th wheel and pull it with his 1500 ecodiesel. The trailers pin weight is more than his payload.

That's not a general rule though. Your example is worst case scenario; heavy diesel + 5w. In my case I pull my trailer often, it weighs anywhere between 6000 to 6500 nowadays and I have 1750 pounds of available payload. Absolutely no requirement to upgrade, the 5.7 will take a beating provided its maintained well.

I do feel a 2500 would be an upgrade (obviously) but "should upgrade", nope.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If we weren't full time and towing once a week on average, we'd have probably kept the 1500. We towed pretty close to 15k miles in just over a year with it. We're also loaded down for living on the road. For weekend trips or even a week or two at a time, we'd have had plenty of truck. Really, we did have plenty of truck for our camper. But, we now have way too much truck and more than enough room if we ever get a bigger camper.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not a general rule though. Your example is worst case scenario; heavy diesel + 5w. In my case I pull my trailer often, it weighs anywhere between 6000 to 6500 nowadays and I have 1750 pounds of available payload. Absolutely no requirement to upgrade, the 5.7 will take a beating provided its maintained well.

I do feel a 2500 would be an upgrade (obviously) but "should upgrade", nope.
I am sorry for pulling an example out of someone that "should upgrade". Just look at the people that are towing overloaded on the road. Just programed a trailer hitch wiring for a 2020 Grand Cherokee 3.6liter so they can go pick up a new camper. Small talk and asked what they purchased, Grand Design 2670MK. It is a 7150lb camper dry. People are absolutely crazy.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am sorry for pulling an example out of someone that "should upgrade". Just look at the people that are towing overloaded on the road. Just programed a trailer hitch wiring for a 2020 Grand Cherokee 3.6liter so they can go pick up a new camper. Small talk and asked what they purchased, Grand Design 2670MK. It is a 7150lb camper dry. People are absolutely crazy.
Max towing capacity on those is 7200 lbs for the right one. I'm sure their dealer told them they had room to spare. :LOL:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong, the examples you listed I would definitely agree they need to upgrade. I'm just being picky with your "rule" you wrote:
Anyone pulling a travel trailer often should upgrade.

Just a little too broad a brush there.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lucked out on FB marketplace and found a cover for the truck. Nothing crazy, but it's cheap and will get the job done until we can figure out how to get another Diamondback HD for it.

20230504_151504.jpg

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a little too broad a brush there.
Be picky, we all have opinions. If you are near your limits then a larger tow vehicle is wise. I personally think there are way too many over loaded vehicles towing on the roads. Don't even get me started on how many trailers are not maintained.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not limited to 1/2 ton trucks. In our RV park I see plenty of 3/4 ton trucks that are way over.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not limited to 1/2 ton trucks. In our RV park I see plenty of 3/4 ton trucks that are way over.
I know. Just because it says 2500 doesn't mean squat. I just looked at 2500 that had a payload of under 1400lbs, it was a Power Wagon.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thats nuts just looked it up man what a trailer but theres no way I would even attempt to pull that with anything less then a 2500.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen lots of folks wage the half-ton towing wars with honor, grit, and determination for ages, only to eventually make the HD leap.

And for as many times as I've seen that happen, not once have I ever seen someone regret it.

Rather, everyone wishes in hindsight they'd done it sooner, and the full-time RV'rs say they can really focus more on the experiences.

Congrats!!

I hope it serves you as faithfully as your Ram has, and that you find time to occasionally continue providing updates & eye candy here for the rest of us to live vicariously through your travels.

Ive noticed this too just from random browsing however seems the random RV/TT I browse whenever the topic or advice on either which TT model to purchase its always really bias go HD without an effort to really help any 1/2 ton or suv owner out. I get it HD is way more truck but I believe keeping length and weight within reason and staying with the trucks specs and a good WD its possible.

I was browsing for Ram 2500s last year when I started getting the TT itch again and really wish they came out with a true 5th gen instead of basically a body swapped 4th gen. Cost obviously being a factor and ride comfort when unloaded being another then features just couldn’t justify the switch.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The F-350 towed great, as expected. I got the ProPride adjusted for the new truck and dialed in best I could with a tape measure.

20230507_121032.jpg

We drove it like that and stopped at some CAT scales.

Truck only, loaded up:
Screenshot_20230507_163535_Drive.jpg
Hitched up, WDH not engaged:
Screenshot_20230507_163719_Drive.jpg
Hitched up, WDH engaged, initial setting (jacks at 1.25"):
Screenshot_20230507_164200_Drive.jpg
Hitched up, WDH engaged, adjustment 1 (jacks at 1.75"):
Screenshot_20230507_163901_Drive.jpg
Hitched up, WDH engaged, adjustment 2 (jacks at 2.25"):
Screenshot_20230507_163821_Drive.jpg

Adjustments made between weighs were 1/2" increments on the ProPride jacks. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between my initial setting and the final adjustment. We were in winds up to about 20 mph with no issues. We could tell the trailer was back there, but I was one handed and drinking coffee. I'm still probably going to back off a bit on the jacks. FAWR is at 56.25% and Ford calls for 50%.

I think we're going to end up moving some cargo from the trailer to the truck bed and doing some organizing. I'd also like to get some more weight on the hitch. We're about 1/4" nose down on the trailer, with a tongue weight of 10.08%. I'd like to get that closer to 12-13% now that payload isn't an issue. Those bikes on the back of the trailer will make that a challenge, but there's some other stuff under the bed we can move.

Last edited:

runamuck

Reaction score
I have enjoyed following your towing story. had my own '19 laramie 1500 4x4 ccsb 5.7 with 3.92 and pulled our 28' 6000# travel trailer all over the place but traded our trailer for a 5th wheel and so had to go dsl hd and bought a '22 ram laramie 4x4 ccsb 6.7 to tow it. our old setup was great but like you, we are going to be on the road more and the 5th wheel is supposed to be easier to tow and it for sure has more room for us and now we will take our 2 dogs more. new truck and dsl and new type of hitch all gonna take some getting used to.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have enjoyed following your towing story. had my own '19 laramie 1500 4x4 ccsb 5.7 with 3.92 and pulled our 28' 6000# travel trailer all over the place but traded our trailer for a 5th wheel and so had to go dsl hd and bought a '22 ram laramie 4x4 ccsb 6.7 to tow it. our old setup was great but like you, we are going to be on the road more and the 5th wheel is supposed to be easier to tow and it for sure has more room for us and now we will take our 2 dogs more. new truck and dsl and new type of hitch all gonna take some getting used to.

Nice! We really wanted to stay in a Ram, but the F-350 checked more boxes for us.

We've been talking about a 5th wheel. Having the extra space and tank capacities, a dedicated office area, and our own washer/dryer sure is appealing. We're still moving around a lot and like to go places where a 5th wheel wouldn't be ideal, so we're probably still a few years off on that.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also working on a couple things with the new truck.

First up, we have the 2" receiver end for our ProPride from the Ram and the F-350 has a 3" receiver. We're using a Curt 3" - 2 1/2" - 2" reducer, which isn't ideal and has a good amount of play. Until we're somewhere long enough to get a new receiver end from ProPride or I find someone to trade with, I made some janky shims out of metal strapping. It works well enough to reduce the movement.

20230512_163716.jpg

I also grabbed a couple things to mount our generator and four gallons of fuel to the trailer tongue, when I have some time to work on that.

Another ongoing project will be the upfitter switches and additional lighting for the truck.

This is the plan, with 5 and 6 always hot:

1 - Air Horn
2 - Air Compressor
3 - High idle
4 - Open
5 - Front camp lights
6 - Rear camp lights

Window sticker of the truck. Like I said, I think this is just about exactly what I'd have ordered, so we lucked out finding it:

Screenshot_20230514_120039_Drive.jpg

20230511_213316.jpg

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats nuts just looked it up man what a trailer but theres no way I would even attempt to pull that with anything less then a 2500.

That actually is a 1/2 ton towable for many trucks. Lots of guys are towing more than that in a tow-behind. That IS way too much for the tow rig he is talking about though.
Hitch
UVW
GVWR

Length
32' 3"
Height
11' 2"

Users who are viewing this thread