5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody looking at the new Truxedo Sentry CT covers? I’m a toss between the pro X15 and the Sentry CT.

clarkehaven

Reaction score
Anybody looking at the new Truxedo Sentry CT covers? I’m a toss between the pro X15 and the Sentry CT.

I have the Pro X15. ......It looks great BUT it is not a great fit . When installed as instructed it left a 1/3 " gap at the tailgate. When I adjusted it to close the gap the tailgate would not close properly because the frame was too far back. I finally got it to work OK by removing the rubber stoppers at the tail gate.

when I contacted them about the fitment I got lip service and was told the 2019 rams have had some beds that were not "square" .

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Pro X15. ......It looks great BUT it is not a great fit . When installed as instructed it left a 1/3 " gap at the tailgate. When I adjusted it to close the gap the tailgate would not close properly because the frame was too far back. I finally got it to work OK by removing the rubber stoppers at the tail gate.

when I contacted them about the fitment I got lip service and was told the 2019 rams have had some beds that were not "square" .

Can you exchange it with your retailer? Maybe it’s just a bad kit?

John813

Reaction score
Sentry or Sentry CT? Easy to operate/install etc? Good quality?

Hmm, just Sentry.

Install was straight forward. First tonneau I ever installed and it took 45 minutes by myself.
Operation is easy too. Rolls pretty easy. The velcro type material may need a gentle pat down to make sure it's secure with the bed rails if you open it up all the way.
So far no quality issues. No water in the bed after some storms and I like that when it's fully rolled up you can still see just fine out your rear window.
One thing I never cared for the trifolds was that if you needed most of the bed the panel would block the entire rear window.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got another popular one, the Bakflip MX4. It's a three piece, hard cover. I'm super happy with it, about a $1,000 installed.
I am leaning towards this one, but I am curious if I wanted to take the whole cover off the bed for some reason, how easy is it to put on and take off.

sgk

Reaction score
slightly off topic but does anyone have a blakflip mx4 or similar for there rambox truck? iv beed told they had them in stock and now they're telling me they're still in testing. 3 more weeks. Not long but as an early rambox owner, it will be months without a cover.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
slightly off topic but does anyone have a blakflip mx4 or similar for there rambox truck? iv beed told they had them in stock and now they're telling me they're still in testing. 3 more weeks. Not long but as an early rambox owner, it will be months without a cover.
On their website it says this for the RamBox cover:
BAK products are custom built. Please allow 1-3 business days to build & ship your order.

Did they tell you that over the phone?

sgk

Reaction score
Yes, so I ordered then waited 2 weeks called back and told me the product is in testing. 3 more weeks. So far just over 3 weeks since I ordered.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mx4 on order, I checked a month ago and they said it was still in design and would not enter production until the 14th. Date could have changed since then

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What makes a lot of people select the trifold bakflip mx4 over the hard cover rollup truxedo sentry ct? Price point about the same. Would think the sentry has the better visibility when fully open (not blocking window) with the same protection to the bed when closed.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What makes a lot of people select the trifold bakflip mx4 over the hard cover rollup truxedo sentry ct? Price point about the same. Would think the sentry has the better visibility when fully open (not blocking window) with the same protection to the bed when closed.
I just looked at that one. I like it. Now I am more confused!

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The sentry ct also includes a middle point latch. It appears to be the best of both options (traditional roll up vs trifold)

What I I like the most is being able to open up all the way without blocking the window and it has a nice matte low profile finish/design.

sgk

Reaction score
Snow.
I would take either one, I like the roll up but not sure how well it will do in snow. At least their trip fold if had and did ok for 3 winter's.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sentry ct also includes a middle point latch. It appears to be the best of both options (traditional roll up vs trifold)

What I I like the most is being able to open up all the way without blocking the window and it has a nice matte low profile finish/design.
That was going to be my next question......So it can be latched in the middle too. Nice

TimG

Reaction score

Living in Northern Montana, I pick the fold-up version over the roll-up because of freezing. One thing I've learned is that once it hits -40, all bets are off! The folding type covers have a better track record (not perfect by any means) than rollers up this way. I do like how the rollers are more streamlined/lo-pro. As for visibility when open, I don't really mind the back window being covered. Spend any time in a dump or a semi, you learn how to use side mirrors pretty quickly. And, now that the backup cameras are so good, it really doesn't even become an issue at all. Just my .02

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Snow.
I would take either one, I like the roll up but not sure how well it will do in snow. At least their trip fold if had and did ok for 3 winter's.

I believe in the FAQ I read it was rated to a 400lb capacity and snow wouldn’t be an issue. You never know but it sounds just as strong as the trifolds.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was going to be my next question......So it can be latched in the middle too. Nice

I have the MX4 on mine. If I needed to take the cover off completely, Its just two "bolts" that you remove in the front (assuming I'm keeping the rails on, etc).

Call Morrie at Tonneaufactory outlet before you buy...he's pretty knowledgable on the pros and cons on each...i know he likes the Retrax but like you I i'm not sure about the snow loads...and we can get quite a bit at times. So far I'm pretty happy with the MX4

Make sure you tell them the Rambox model...I had originally ordered that model but switched it when I switched trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread