5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
Guys, I am a truck newbie - I noticed a lot of folks are getting the three panel covers. I was just curious as to what your thought process was when deciding on a specific type of cover. I was checking out the Aluminum backed roll covers, and then started looking at the retractable covers. I never considered the 3 panel covers because it obstructs the back view, but maybe I am missing something?

One thing that I've read about the Revolver is that in the winter, they can freeze up pretty good, especially if there's a lot of moisture in the air, and make it very stiff and difficult, if not impossible, to roll up.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these or the Revolver. Although not a fan of how it rests against the window when fully open, I don't do it very often. I'd be curious to here your feedback on it, in the fully open position. Is there any potential for it to scratch the back of the truck/window?

I am more than pleased with my MX4, very easy to open up when needed and very secure when closed. It has rubber/foam bumpers along the edge that leans against the window, and those bumpers stay on the underside of the cover so they don't experience much exposure to the elements. I don't have any knowledge/experience with other covers and im sure there are better ones available. For a $1000 bucks, I feel great about this purchase tho. Cheers!

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
Anyone seen the oem hardcover? I have seen a photo on mopars site but nouch detail is offered. I just ordered mine which is backordered until November maybe later??? Just curious if anyone has one already installed?

Attachments

• IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    885.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 165

Laz

Reaction score
Wow, that looks AWESOME! beautiful color and perfect match. Congrats

rdz418

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
One thing that I've read about the Revolver is that in the winter, they can freeze up pretty good, especially if there's a lot of moisture in the air, and make it very stiff and difficult, if not impossible, to roll up.
I've had the BAK revolver on my last two trucks. Never had a problem with them, even in winter.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI all I’ve started a thread on Bak Revolver X4 cold weather ops that has migrated to a discussion on Truxedo Sentry and Sentry CT since it claims better winter performance. The thread is here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/bak-revolver-x4-or-x2-cold-weather-performance.2468/

Broadly on tonneau covers I found this great post on an F150 forum (I know, learning from other forums, heresy!) that is worth a read if you are just getting into the topic and need a primer: https://www.f150forum.com/f7/help-my-buddy-pick-tonneau-cover-his-f-150-a-419473/

Lastly hey @John813 would you be willing to add to your Sentry feedback and post a few pics of your Sentry, especially the latch mechanisms at the middle and front? How does that middle connection point latch/release? How do you think the cable mechanism will hold up over time? With only a three year warranty do you think anything will be a long term concern? Only if you have the time of course... there just aren’t any straight up reviews as the cover is a new design.

Hmm, just Sentry. Install was straight forward. First tonneau I ever installed and it took 45 minutes by myself. Operation is easy too. Rolls pretty easy. The velcro type material may need a gentle pat down to make sure it's secure with the bed rails if you open it up all the way. So far no quality issues. No water in the bed after some storms and I like that when it's fully rolled up you can still see just fine out your rear window. One thing I never cared for the trifolds was that if you needed most of the bed the panel would block the entire rear window.

Samcpatterson

Reaction score
One thing I noticed w the bedbug is that extra/excess material between tailgate and bed, if it isn't lifted up and get caught even a little in the crevice between bed and tailgate, it will cause the information center on dash to give the tailgate sensor light warning which tells u that tailgate isn't closed properly and also the darn cargo light will stay on until about 30 seconds later then it turns off to conserve battery. But it's a pain if it stays on so I figured out it was bcuz that extra piece of fabric was causing tailgate not to shut completely. Just fyi in case ur cargo light does the same. You can turn it off from inside but its supposed to turn off when alarm is set and not wait another 30 seconds after alarm has been set. Ok I'm done...lol
Goodnight

Attachments

• 20180819_104622.jpg
    20180819_104622.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 89
Reactions: Laz

Samcpatterson

Reaction score
Great setup--- tires and wheels first then the cover. Have been waiting on the same cover.

Reactions: Laz

danhshopper

Reaction score
The reason I got my Lund Genesis Tri-fold is that it's easy to take off when needed for large loads.
It weighs about 30 pounds. But any of the Tri-folds work the same.
How do you like your Lund Tri-fold? I'm tempting to get one as its price is right.

Laramie_2019

Reaction score
I have to say i was really impressed with the BackFlip MX4. The install instructions were spot on, and everything lined up where it should. Install took me 40M from unboxing and taking pictures. The fit is really nice and it works with the RAM OEM drop in plastic bedliner no problem.

Capture.JPG

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
I've always had the Truxedo Lo pro QT. I changed things up with my Ram and bought the Truxedo Sentry. Very happy with it and love the lo profile layout.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got this bit of bad news today regarding the Stealth (MX4) for Ramboxes:

I just got word that there is some kind of production issue, so they are not going to be shipping this cover until the end of December, they think.

I guess I now need to research again my Rambox option covers. Bummer.

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
I have to say i was really impressed with the BackFlip MX4. The install instructions were spot on, and everything lined up where it should. Install took me 40M from unboxing and taking pictures. The fit is really nice and it works with the RAM OEM drop in plastic bedliner no problem.

View attachment 6087
Looks awesome. Mine has been sitting in the box in my garage for a couple weeks now waiting for me to install it! $735 shipped from RealTruck.com

cubsflfan

Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations for good tonneau covers for the 5th Gen? I just got mine with the 6'4 bed, and wondering what my options are. Looking to purchase ASAP.
Installed Bakflip X2 hard roll up today. Fits good and rained today. No water got in.

Attachments

• 4D1C25B2-391C-40DE-A111-80EF08D0142E.jpeg
    4D1C25B2-391C-40DE-A111-80EF08D0142E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 113

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
Looks awesome. Mine has been sitting in the box in my garage for a couple weeks now waiting for me to install it! $735 shipped from RealTruck.com

I finally put mine on and will agree that the fit was good and instructions were pretty good as well. I definitely can see where some water might get through, especially the corners by the cab. I'm just not all that concerned with it. I would expect some water with any tonneau and I'm not putting Picasos back there so a little water isn't really a big deal to me. The rails look pretty weather tight. After using it for a couple weeks now, I can say that I DO NOT like having to open the tonneau to close the tailgate, total PIA especially when it's raining and you have something in your hands. I also did not like the rail clamps. I had two that wanted to twist free every time I tried to tighten them. I managed to get them on pretty tight but wasn't feeling overly confident about their longevity. On the RAM, they're also clamping on to the plastic bed rail cover which isn't exactly rock solid to begin with.

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score

View attachment 6087

Do you happen to know whether this is available for RamBox beds as well?

Axedawg

Reaction score
This is an actual Mopar hard top tonneau cover...been on order for months! Just got it thrown on today and love it!

Attachments

• 7CD62855-987C-4EE4-9868-AC0868F9D01F.jpeg
    7CD62855-987C-4EE4-9868-AC0868F9D01F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 185

Users who are viewing this thread