5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you think the following cover will fit? With the new bracket kit

Jack Rabbit Revolver? Thank you
I has a Pace Edwards cover years ago and HATED IT. Buy a Retrax! If you are hell bent on a PE cover, I would bet that it will fit fine using the Right-On Brackets.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think the following cover will fit? With the new bracket kit

Jack Rabbit Revolver? Thank you

Id recommend watching some install videos on a ram or another truck. It needs clearance on either side where the brackets rest (at least 3/8-1/2”) and it also needs clearance at the bulkhead. Some of them the canister sits all the way up to the bulkhead, which would impede bracket clearance. I’ll try to watch some install videos and give me feedback.

Karl1088

Reaction score
A used Jack Rabbit is offered near me in Germany. Retrax is great, but I have to import it. Here's the link from the rabbit in Germany. I ordered the bracket kit in the USA. Could this cover fit? What do you think? I'm very grateful to them for their answer. I get my 2021 Limited in June. I'm very happy to be able to drive this truck in Germany

C08891CD-374C-4480-B3BC-5A0E16AEBF3D.jpeg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
A used Jack Rabbit is offered near me in Germany. Retrax is great, but I have to import it. Here's the link from the rabbit in Germany. I ordered the bracket kit in the USA. Could this cover fit? What do you think? I'm very grateful to them for their answer. I get my 2021 Limited in June. I'm very happy to be able to drive this truck in Germany
From the picture, it looks like it will fit just fine.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 80758
After reviewing the video you posted a couple of posts ago, I do not believe the jackrabbit with fit without modification. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all about the tonneau covers but I have fitted now 6 different covers with the MFT, 2 retractable, and 4 foldup. I can identify the areas of most covers that the brackets will interfere with.

There's two reasons I don't believe it will fit. First, it looks quite wide comparatively speaking to the retractable covers that do fit. This is not modifiable, the ones that do fit do not have that silver that sits on the side rails of the truck. It will be too tight width-wise.

The second reason I don't think it will fit is that the canister sits all the way up to the bulkhead of the bed. While this looks to be modifiable, it appears there is two latch points that will unable to be removed. If you were to drop the canister in the truck with the brackets installed, you wouldn't be able to push the canister all the way to the bulkhead as the bracket would be right in the way. If you were to install with the bracket in the way the tonneau would go too far into the bed and the tailgate would hit the end of the tonneau when flipped up.

This is all my non professional input, it may very well work, or work "enough" for it to be acceptable to you. But my educated guess is that it will not.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Just when I though my search was over, another candidate came into the running.

I am now considering these 2 multi-fold tonneaus:

-Undercover Armor Flex

-Leer HF 650M

I have seen comments about the Undercover product, but not the Leer.

Has anyone installed this cover on a vehicle with the MFT??

I would still assume that I need the Right On brackets.

-George

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just when I though my search was over, another candidate came into the running.

I am now considering these 2 multi-fold tonneaus:

-Undercover Armor Flex

-Leer HF 650M

I have seen comments about the Undercover product, but not the Leer.

Has anyone installed this cover on a vehicle with the MFT??

I would still assume that I need the Right On brackets.

-George
Armor flex is the same as the ultra just with a bed coating, never seen the leer but it’s cool lookin!

mikenene85

Reaction score
Hello, i just picked up my new brackets made of 1/4" steel. they were custom made and i should be able to install a Backflip tonneau cover as well the Undercover armor flex. the Backflip is already tested since i removed one of the rails from one of my other trucks in order to have the brackets to be made.

Attachments

• 20210127_185524 (1).jpg
    20210127_185524 (1).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210127_185555.jpg
    20210127_185555.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210127_185544.jpg
    20210127_185544.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 102

jentx

Reaction score
I took the PE Jackrabbit off of my non-MFT truck hoping it would work on my new MFT truck with the Right On brackets and the canister is slightly too wide unfortunately.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Hello, i just picked up my new brackets made of 1/4" steel. they were custom made and i should be able to install a Backflip tonneau cover as well the Undercover armor flex. the Backflip is already tested since i removed one of the rails from one of my other trucks in order to have the brackets to be made.
Those brackets look excellent.

Is the shop that made them willing to make more??

What did they charge you??

-G

Karl1088

Reaction score
I took the PE Jackrabbit off of my non-MFT truck hoping it would work on my new MFT truck with the Right On brackets and the canister is slightly too wide unfortunately.

okay thank you , have you got a picture ?,
can you customize it?

does it fit at the front?

mikenene85

Reaction score
Those brackets look excellent.

Is the shop that made them willing to make more??

What did they charge you??

-G
Hello,
I'm in Colorado and they changed me $240!
A good body of mine which specializes just in metal work. And yes they did a great job , I'll ask them !

jentx

Reaction score
okay thank you , have you got a picture ?,
can you customize it?

does it fit at the front?
It didn’t fit so no photos. I don’t have the tools to modify it, will just sell as there’s plenty of Rams in my neighborhood.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in Colorado and they changed me $240!
A good body of mine which specializes just in metal work. And yes they did a great job , I'll ask them !
Thank you and please let us know how they worked out and which tonneau you ended up buying.

You may want to look at the Leer HF650 as well.

Cheers,

G

HAL9001

Reaction score
We changed the design of our brackets! We increased the size of each hole by 1/16". This should allow for easier installation. I know many of you have had some issues with the holes not lining up perfectly. This should solve the issue.

Many of you have been reaching out regarding the shipping speed. We cover the cost of ground shipping, but this has been extremely slow due to the holiday season and pandemic. As we come out of the holidays, hopefully this speeds up. You can see their alert here:

Here's a link to our product page:

Thank you,

-Pete
Pete @rightonbracket,
You said that you cover the cost of shipping but I'm currently trying to order a set of these brackets and your order form charges $20 for shipping. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to enter a coupon code?
Thank you

MF17

Reaction score
I finally got around to try and install my RightOnBrackets on my 2021 1500 with MFG and the Gator FX Tonneau.
The brackets aligned perfectly and had to very little playing it for the holes to align. I also used the flat head M8 screws from amazon that were posted here in the thread but....

When I went to install the Gator... it just doesn't fix with both brackets on. Once you put one side in... there is about 1/4 of an inch on the other side that does not allow the cover to slide into the rail.

If these brackets which have excellent build quality would be thinner, it would fit perfectly. Right now I'm running the bed with just 1 bracket on the right side. I'll try and avoid opening the MFG split down the middle and just drop the bed as needed.
Anyone else running a cover without the brackets or just 1 bracket?
Are there plans to make these righton thinner so that they sit flusher to the bedliner on the side panels?

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I finally got around to try and install my RightOnBrackets on my 2021 1500 with MFG and the Gator FX Tonneau.
The brackets aligned perfectly and had to very little playing it for the holes to align. I also used the flat head M8 screws from amazon that were posted here in the thread but....

When I went to install the Gator... it just doesn't fix with both brackets on. Once you put one side in... there is about 1/4 of an inch on the other side that does not allow the cover to slide into the rail.

If these brackets which have excellent build quality would be thinner, it would fit perfectly. Right now I'm running the bed with just 1 bracket on the right side. I'll try and avoid opening the MFG split down the middle and just drop the bed as needed.
Anyone else running a cover without the brackets or just 1 bracket?
Are there plans to make these righton thinner so that they sit flusher to the bedliner on the side panels?
Take a look at the above post and pictures submitted by "mikenen85".

His custom bracket seems to be perfect. Take a look and let us know if that design would take care of your issue.

BeachBum

Reaction score
It didn’t fit so no photos. I don’t have the tools to modify it, will just sell as there’s plenty of Rams in my neighborhood.
Did you use the Countersinking Flat Head Screws others are using? If not, that should gain you 3/8 to 1/2 inch of total clearance side to side I would think over the factory hexhead bolts!!

Users who are viewing this thread