5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That looks awesome!!

Please let me know if your friend is up for making another pair of brackets.

I also would feel better with the cross brace.

-G
You would only need a cross brace if the thickness of the metal bracket was reduced. The righton brackets are 3/8. The ones he had made don’t look as thick from the pics. Don’t let the addition of a cross brace make up your mind as the two brackets may be apples and oranges. I can guarantee you that if the righton brackets will fit with your cover, nothing more is necessary.

davidn0021

Reaction score
You would only need a cross brace if the thickness of the metal bracket was reduced. The righton brackets are 3/8. The ones he had made don’t look as thick from the pics. Don’t let the addition of a cross brace make up your mind as the two brackets may be apples and oranges. I can guarantee you that if the righton brackets will fit with your cover, nothing more is necessary.
Those brackets were 1/4" based on his post. The RO brackets are 3/8" and quite sturdy. I would say sturdier than the stock/OEM hard plastic brackets that were there. I still need to find a way to make up that 3/8" difference in thickness for my tonneau as I am still getting water in the bed.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Those brackets were 1/4" based on his post. The RO brackets are 3/8" and quite sturdy. I would say sturdier than the stock/OEM hard plastic brackets that were there. I still need to find a way to make up that 3/8" difference in thickness for my tonneau as I am still getting water in the bed.
The stock OEM brackets are not plastic...they are aluminum.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Really? It felt like some sort of weird molded plastic or HDPE type material. Maybe it was the coating they put on it.
Initially, I thought they were plastic too based on their appearance. They are either powder coated aluminum or steel but definitely metal.

MF17

Reaction score
Sounds like that's a cover issue and not a bracket issue. The brackets are only 3/8" thick and need to be strong enough to support the potential load of the door being open and someone putting severe downward pressure on the door like using it as a handrail to help lift you into the bed. The Gator Cover appears very similar to my RETRAX and I had no issues with any interference. I am looking at the install pics of your cover on Gator's website and cannot see how the cover you have could possibly interfere with these brackets. Any pics you can share?
Sure can, see attached. The brackets fit perfect, but the gator does not fit once the rails are installed because the brackets push the rails in about 1/4 of an inch and there is no wiggle room with the Gator... It won't fit one side when the other is in at the bracket end of the bed.

Attachments

• 20210128_122249-right side.jpg
    20210128_122249-right side.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210128_122230-4.jpg
    20210128_122230-4.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 117
  • 20210128_122219-3.jpg
    20210128_122219-3.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210128_115125-2.jpg
    20210128_115125-2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210128_115112-1.jpg
    20210128_115112-1.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 127

rightonbracket

Reaction score
I got one for my 2021 and it seems to fit. Will I need to switch out?
If it fit just fine, no need to switch out!

We're getting feedback from some folks the 2021 is different. We have a pair of stock brackets coming in to confirm.

Thanks for the feedback!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

We're getting feedback from some folks the 2021 is different. We have a pair of stock brackets coming in to confirm.

Thanks for the feedback!
Thanks! We all know that all 2021 beds are the same. Therefore, if it works for many of us that have the 2021, it should work for everyone. Be interesting to see what you find.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Hi all,
i finally install my new brackets for bed with MFT 6.5 ft, and install one side rail of the Backflip Fibermax off from my other truck and works as should be. see photos!!
Mikenen85,

Just checking again to see if your friend is interested and making and selling another pair of brackets.

I am also curious about the width of the bracket. It appears to be 2" or 2 1/2".

I can make my own or buy them from Right On, but just checking my options.

I assume you completed the install and everything worked out well.

Would countersinking the mounting holes on the rail side of the bracket bring any value or are the bolts completely out of the way??

-G

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mikenen85,

Just checking again to see if your friend is interested and making and selling another pair of brackets.

I am also curious about the width of the bracket. It appears to be 2" or 2 1/2".

Would countersinking the mounting holes on the rail side of the bracket bring any value or are the bolts completely out of the way??

-G
Why not buy the ones from RightOn???

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Guys - has anyone been successful with the RightOn Brackets and the BAK Revolver X2? I had that in my 2017 Sport and really liked it but now with a 2021 Limited w/MFT no ram box, appear the options are limited. I did ping BAK, they said why it would not work was due to the OEM brackets. Thanks

TechDaddy3x

Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
M8x12mm? Received mine and they seem very short - just checking the size...
my new truck doesn’t come in for a week but getting everything ready.

thanks!
I bought these (not necessarily the size but the same type) and ended up returning them as the stock OEM bolts worked just fine and no need to use the Amazon ones.

mikenene85

Reaction score
Mikenen85,

-G
hello,
those brackets are 2 1/8". i havent finished my install because the over wont arrive till the 22nd of feb since it wasnt any in stock of the Backflip fibermax, so they are making it.
i belive i will have to shave about 1/8" on the railings at the bolt on the middle but to me is not a problem.

im sure they can make a pair , the cost was $240

Atrain34

Reaction score
Has anyone had success using Right-On brackets with the Xcover Low Profile Hard Tri-fold cover?

tunetown

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback!

What did you learn about brackets and 2021 1500 With MFT? Would like to purchase your product asap, but waiting to hear what you discovered regarding fit.

HAL9001

Reaction score
What did you learn about brackets and 2021 1500 With MFT? Would like to purchase your product asap, but waiting to hear what you discovered regarding fit.
I don't see why there would be a difference between the 2020 and the 2021. I just ordered a set of right-on brackets for my 2021. I'll install them as soon as they arrive and report back here.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see why there would be a difference between the 2020 and the 2021. I just ordered a set of right-on brackets for my 2021. I'll install them as soon as they arrive and report back here.
No issues at all with mine...can't imagine for the life of me what could possibly be different.

HAL9001

Reaction score
No issues at all with mine...can't imagine for the life of me what could possibly be different.
After reading the description of your truck and its options, I see that you and I have just about exactly the same truck except for the color. I would have preferred the Granite Crystal but I could only get the Diamond Black Crystal.

1612973814225.png

So, if your brackets fit, I'm certain that mine will. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread