5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Baileycom

Reaction score
It wasn’t great when I tried it, the rail is different than most on here, and has to sit all the way to the bulkhead, which even the right on brackets don’t allow.
Ugh, thanks for the heads up. I have the Right On brackets and was hoping it would fit. My second choice is the GatorTrax, guess that might be the way to go.

ramwb

Reaction score
I’ve been reading this entire thread and noticed you were getting the Retrax XR which is something I’m thinking about. Using the Right on brackets did it install without issues?.
@Portercycling250 I have not purchased the XR cuz it is expensive now thinking of the MX4 - however I am still stuck on confirming if it works with RO brackets.
The MX4 gives me protection of the back window vs the XR and it is cheaper - this is my line of thought so far.

Portercycling250

Reaction score
@Portercycling250 I have not purchased the XR cuz it is expensive now thinking of the MX4 - however I am still stuck on confirming if it works with RO brackets.
The MX4 gives me protection of the back window vs the XR and it is cheaper - this is my line of thought so far.
Ok. Good luck. I have decided to get the RO brackets ( ordering tonight) and go with the Retrax XR . It looks to be a top notch cover and should last me a while. I’ll post pics in future once I have installed and based on this thread I should not have any issues... other than getting my wife to help lift it with me 😂😂👍

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ugh, thanks for the heads up. I have the Right On brackets and was hoping it would fit. My second choice is the GatorTrax, guess that might be the way to go.

the gator recoil was awful for me. Leaked through every slat!

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oof really? Did you return and get a new one? Seems like a manufacturing issue.

who knows, it was so bad Lol. And it was really flimsy, super easy to just pull up at the tailgate.
I returned it to amazon and got an Ultraflex.

Portercycling250

Reaction score
We changed the design of our brackets! We increased the size of each hole by 1/16". This should allow for easier installation. I know many of you have had some issues with the holes not lining up perfectly. This should solve the issue.

Many of you have been reaching out regarding the shipping speed. We cover the cost of ground shipping, but this has been extremely slow due to the holiday season and pandemic. As we come out of the holidays, hopefully this speeds up. You can see their alert here:

Here's a link to our product page:

Thank you,

-Pete
I just ordered my brackets this morning ! Look forward to getting my Retrax Pro XR ordered next. Thanks Right On !!

Cheebie

Reaction score
I just got the RO brackets last week, I had the gator roll up installed by my dealership with the OEM brackets and they couldn't get it flush, so I installed the RO brackets last night and had the gator replaced with the Lomax. It looks great and functions good with my MFT. As far as leaks, not sure yet.

Attachments

• 16096435881031146469856376821502.jpg
    16096435881031146469856376821502.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 16096436241407696506477905706375.jpg
    16096436241407696506477905706375.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 130

davidn0021

Reaction score
I just got the RO brackets last week, I had the gator roll up installed by my dealership with the OEM brackets and they couldn't get it flush, so I installed the RO brackets last night and had the gator replaced with the Lomax. It looks great and functions good with my MFT. As far as leaks, not sure yet.

Did you need to do anything special to the Lomax rails that clips to the bed? I just ordered the RO brackets and hoping my Lomax can just drop right in to replace the OEM cover.

Cheebie

Reaction score
The dealer put it in, and from what he said there was a bit of cutting on the rails, I haven't even used it yet, but I will this afternoon and post pics.

stronbl

Reaction score
Hi folks - I wanted to add some info to the thread. I have just changed covers from a Solid Fold 2.0 to a DiamondBack SE on my 2020 Limited with MFT, no Ram Box. While the Solid Fold was "ok" , I wasn't super content with it. Some small leak points but really I was not comfortable with security at the tailgate. It seemed to me that it could be compromised with little effort by someone wanting to break in to the bed. Also I started to get a depression (dent??) on the top of the cover at the right side cab fastener position. Not a big deal but sort of goes toward overall craftmanship and quality.

The Diamond Back SE was about $1,000 more expensive, but I have to say, the quality shines and really comes through - so I'm ok with the price difference. I got the newer matt black finish and I think it looks great. The dual "butterfly" style opening had me a bit concerned but I bit the bullet and went ahead with the purchase. Glad I did. The dual opening style is fine for my purposes and really opens more than I thought (or could tell from the website photos). It's made in PA, USA and it is really well built. The fit and finish is an order of magnitude over the Solid Fold 2.0. Plus it has a separate locking mechanism for the front and rear butterfly panels. I haven't been able to test the weathertightness yet but will soon. On the downside, the installation while not at all difficult, does take time because you end up using the OEM bed brackets at the cab for the locking mechanism for the front cover segment. It takes a lot of time, trial and error, to get everything positioned so as to get a good weathertight seal. It took me over 2 hours for full installation, while they say 45 min in the instructions - so maybe it's an operator issue :) ...

This bed cover is clearly not for everyone, especially if you're going for a low profile look. But if you want to use OEM brackets and want a substantial cover, it may be worth a look. They also have an HD version that can carry an ATV on top (I think the weight limit of the HD is like 1,600 lbs versus the 400 lbs for the SE). And finally, for disclosure purposes, I am not associated with Diamondback Truck covers at all, I simply wanted to pass along my opinion and findings. after installation. Cheers!

davidn0021

Reaction score
The dealer put it in, and from what he said there was a bit of cutting on the rails, I haven't even used it yet, but I will this afternoon and post pics.
Just got the RO brackets and put those on and then attempted to install the rails for the Lomax... yep, will definitely need to trim off part of the rails AND the RO brackets it appears so the bolts will fit against the back of the bed. It may not be worth all the effort afterall so I may have to stick with the soft OEM cover... what a pain.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got the RO brackets and put those on and then attempted to install the rails for the Lomax... yep, will definitely need to trim off part of the rails AND the RO brackets it appears so the bolts will fit against the back of the bed. It may not be worth all the effort afterall so I may have to stick with the soft OEM cover... what a pain.

theres plenty of other covers that you can get to work. I tried 5 of them and finally settled on the undercover ultra flex! I would hate to have to do a soft cover

Redman3

Reaction score
Got my RO brackets this week and installed my Powertrax One MX on my 2021 Longhorn Limited with MFT. Brackets fit perfectly and install was a breeze. Thankful for all of the advice on this forum, dealer told me there were no options for a retractable cover on the MFT.

Attachments

• 655E2AC5-1EC1-4EF3-8172-4B4F1530386C.jpeg
    655E2AC5-1EC1-4EF3-8172-4B4F1530386C.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 3F84652D-D030-4CE9-9746-7CD87AEE038A.jpeg
    3F84652D-D030-4CE9-9746-7CD87AEE038A.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 126

davidn0021

Reaction score
theres plenty of other covers that you can get to work. I tried 5 of them and finally settled on the undercover ultra flex! I would hate to have to do a soft cover

Nah, I like the low profile look of the Lomax. I'm sure I can get it to all fit, but I would hate to have to cut those brackets. The rails aren't that big of a deal since they're aluminum, but those brackets are 1/4" steel...

Cheebie

Reaction score
Nah, I like the low profile look of the Lomax. I'm sure I can get it to all fit, but I would hate to have to cut those brackets. The rails aren't that big of a deal since they're aluminum, but those brackets are 1/4" steel...
Sorry, I forgot to take pics, I will get on that this morning for ya!!!

Users who are viewing this thread