5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Cheebie

Reaction score
This is the best pics I could hope it somewhat helps

Attachments

• 16103108724555614530586411996251.jpg
    16103108724555614530586411996251.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 20210110_143112.jpg
    20210110_143112.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 20210110_143053.jpg
    20210110_143053.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20210110_143033.jpg
    20210110_143033.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 199

davidn0021

Reaction score
oh interesting... so you had to install some extra weather stripping?

Cheebie

Reaction score
oh interesting... so you had to install some extra weather stripping?
I'm pretty sure its not needed, but they had installed it while the dealership was trying to make another brand cover work which failed. I just think they didn't want to take it off, so it is used for extra sealing power.

WReckeR

Reaction score
I do not know who makes it. I have the MFT with my Black Appearance Package and the RAM OEM tonneau came with the package, so it works with the MFT. The brackets that hold the bed together do not impede the clamps that hold the OEM tonneau in place. However, in my opinion, the OEM tonneau is flimsy, cheap, and flaps in the wind like a flag above 20 miles an hour. I have my OEM tonneau sitting in the box in which my WeatherTech Alloy was shipped. I replaced the OEM tonneau in the first week I had my Limited. I am trying to decide if anyone will buy it and I should sell it on here, or just take it to the dump.
Although I plan to have the 6'4 bed, this is the best point of view so far. No one has mentioned the OEM cover until your post. I am thinking how important it is to pay for this Ram option, and here you are saying it may be taken to the dump! Better to save the $550 for a better option.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
theres plenty of other covers that you can get to work. I tried 5 of them and finally settled on the undercover ultra flex! I would hate to have to do a soft cover
Alxmlr789,

Just to confirm:

You installed the Undercover Ultra Flex on a truck with a Multifunction tailgate using the RO brackets.

Did everything work out well with minimal modifications, other than changing the OEM brackets???

davidn0021

Reaction score
I was able to get my Lomax to work by switching to the RO brackets and modifying the Lomax rails but cutting back to allow for clearance for the RO brackets. Also had to add a little bit of weather stripping to seal it up proper.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it was actually the best fitting out of all of them. You need to use the recessed bolts as I’ve linked in previous threads and snip about 12” of weather stripping from the rails. Other than that nothing else.
Alxmlr789,

Just to confirm:

You installed the Undercover Ultra Flex on a truck with a Multifunction tailgate using the RO brackets.

Did everything work out well with minimal modifications, other than changing the OEM brackets???

Skater

Reaction score
Although I plan to have the 6'4 bed, this is the best point of view so far. No one has mentioned the OEM cover until your post. I am thinking how important it is to pay for this Ram option, and here you are saying it may be taken to the dump! Better to save the $550 for a better option.
If you have the OEM tonneau as part of the black appearance package, it will come with it. If you have the option to not pay for the OEM tonneau, don't. That is my recommendation. The OEM tonneau looks nice, but does not perform well in my opinion. It is just not made as tough or durable as an aftermarket tonneau.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Yes it was actually the best fitting out of all of them. You need to use the recessed bolts as I’ve linked in previous threads and snip about 12” of weather stripping from the rails. Other than that nothing else.
Alxmlr789,

Thank you again. I have looked through your prior posts and found the "Flathead" bolts that you used.

The holes in the bracket look as big as the head of the bolt. I have read on the forum that the holes were enlarged to compensate for tolerances in the mounting holes.

If the hole in the RO brackets is smaller that the bolts, it seems possible that this could work because the bolts would catch the very top of the hole, but I am not sure how strong this would be.

Is this what you did??

or

Did you countersink the holes in the RO brackets??

or

Did you drill your own through holes and countersink them in a blank bracket?? This would seem to be the ultimate solution, but requires a little more work - which I am glad to do, being OCD also:)

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alxmlr789,

Thank you again. I have looked through your prior posts and found the "Flathead" bolts that you used.

The holes in the bracket look as big as the head of the bolt. I have read on the forum that the holes were enlarged to compensate for tolerances in the mounting holes.

If the hole in the RO brackets is smaller that the bolts, it seems possible that this could work because the bolts would catch the very top of the hole, but I am not sure how strong this would be.

Is this what you did??

or

Did you countersink the holes in the RO brackets??

or

Did you drill your own through holes and countersink them in a blank bracket?? This would seem to be the ultimate solution, but requires a little more work - which I am glad to do, being OCD also:)

I countersunk them into the right on brackets. Quick and easy. It’s very sturdy, the bolt has plenty of “meat” on the bracket.

WReckeR

Reaction score
If you have the OEM tonneau as part of the black appearance package, it will come with it. If you have the option to not pay for the OEM tonneau, don't. That is my recommendation. The OEM tonneau looks nice, but does not perform well in my opinion. It is just not made as tough or durable as an aftermarket tonneau.
Thank you, Skater. The truck I have agreed to buy has no tonneau, so I will be getting an aftermarket one. But I also have the MFT. I take 2-3 motorcycle trips a year, so I need a cover that I can take out without too much trouble. I also don't see the point of having that huge retracting drum in the bed that some get. I mean, you lose all that space. I'm just looking to keep the bed clean and maybe...improve gas mileage from improved drag?

doolin64

Reaction score
Thank you, Skater. The truck I have agreed to buy has no tonneau, so I will be getting an aftermarket one. But I also have the MFT. I take 2-3 motorcycle trips a year, so I need a cover that I can take out without too much trouble. I also don't see the point of having that huge retracting drum in the bed that some get. I mean, you lose all that space. I'm just looking to keep the bed clean and maybe...improve gas mileage from improved drag?
Happy with my Truxedo Pro X15 with the MFT. Rails need some minor modding, but it comes out super easy. It also rolls up tight and I don't hit it or need to remove when loading my dirtbike.

Skater

Reaction score
WeatherTech Tri-Fold Alloy. I have the MFT too and I love the WeatherTech. Pops in and out with ease and is very light, but durable.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
Happy with my Truxedo Pro X15 with the MFT. Rails need some minor modding, but it comes out super easy. It also rolls up tight and I don't hit it or need to remove when loading my dirtbike.

+1 although I have ramboxes so didn’t need to modify anything to install. Seals best when cover is closed after tailgate is closed but you can still open and close the tailgate w/o Unlatching to top. You can remove the whole thing in under a one min if desired.

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost

WReckeR

Reaction score
WeatherTech Tri-Fold Alloy. I have the MFT too and I love the WeatherTech. Pops in and out with ease and is very light, but durable.
Skater, did you first buy and install the RightOn brackets? Or did the WeatherTech work with the OEM bracket?
Their website says the Tri-Fold Alloy won't work with the MFT.

Karl1088

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. My name is Christian from Bavaria. I have a ram Limited 2021 6.4 bed with multifunctional tailgates. It is not possible to get this replacement iron holder in Germany. As well as the electric Retrax roll cover. Can you please tell me if the electric Retrax roll cover fits when I install the iron bracket? I have to send all the parts to import containers from Germany and import them. There must be no mistake.

Where can I get the Retrax cheaply in the USA?

Thank you all

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. My name is Christian from Bavaria. I have a ram Limited 2021 6.4 bed with multifunctional tailgates. It is not possible to get this replacement iron holder in Germany. As well as the electric Retrax roll cover. Can you please tell me if the electric Retrax roll cover fits when I install the iron bracket? I have to send all the parts to import containers from Germany and import them. There must be no mistake.

Where can I get the Retrax cheaply in the USA?

Thank you all
Yes, it will fit with the Right-On Brackets. Contact:

www.retrax.com

Skater

Reaction score
Skater, did you first buy and install the RightOn brackets? Or did the WeatherTech work with the OEM bracket?
Their website says the Tri-Fold Alloy won't work with the MFT.
If you have Ramboxes, you do not need the Right On Brackets. If you do not Ramboxes, you need the Right On Brackets. I do not have Ramboxes, so I needed the aftermarket brackets to replace the OEM corner braces to allow for the WeatherTech tri-fold alloy install. I used the Right On Brackets and they fit perfectly to allow for the WeatherTech tri-fold alloy. I know the website states it will not work, but my Ram is proof that it does with the Right On Brackets.

PM me if you have any specific questions or want some photos of my install.

Karl1088

Reaction score
Do you think the following cover will fit? With the new bracket kit

Jack Rabbit Revolver? Thank you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread