5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

mikenene85

Reaction score
Thank you and please let us know how they worked out and which tonneau you ended up buying.

You may want to look at the Leer HF650 as well.

Cheers,

G
i was going to order the Leer but since i have Backflip on my other truck i was able to see if works or not and it did! once im ready to install my new Tonneau ill post some pics.
M

MF17

Reaction score
Take a look at the above post and pictures submitted by "mikenen85".

His custom bracket seems to be perfect. Take a look and let us know if that design would take care of your issue.
Yea I've seen that, The brackets would work well as long as they are thinner than the RightOnBrackets. - at least for the Gator tonneau
It depends how thick the ones on the post from Mike are

rightonbracket

Reaction score
We've been getting a lot of questions regarding the 2021 RAM and if our original 2020 RAM bracket design will fit. **The brackets we currently sell DO NOT fit the 2021 model**.

We are receiving the 2021 stock bracket to measure the new hole pattern. We will have a drop down menu on our website soon where you may select the 2020 or 2021 version. Here's a link to our website:

Expect the 2021 RAM bracket design to roll out in the next couple of weeks. Let us know if you have any questions!

-Pete

davidn0021

Reaction score
We've been getting a lot of questions regarding the 2021 RAM and if our original 2020 RAM bracket design will fit. **The brackets we currently sell DO NOT fit the 2021 model**.

We are receiving the 2021 stock bracket to measure the new hole pattern. We will have a drop down menu on our website soon where you may select the 2020 or 2021 version. Here's a link to our website:

Expect the 2021 RAM bracket design to roll out in the next couple of weeks. Let us know if you have any questions!

-Pete
I got one for my 2021 and it seems to fit. Will I need to switch out?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

-Pete
Very confused. I have a 2021 and your bracket fit perfectly??? I even told you I had a 2021 and you had no problem selling it to me.....

davidn0021

Reaction score
Very confused. I have a 2021 and your bracket fit perfectly??? I even told you I had a 2021 and you had no problem selling it to me.....
Yes I want an answer to this as well. Not like it's a whole lot of money, but if it's not the proper fit, that could lead to other issues when driving the truck. I feel like, at this point, I need to remove these brackets and put back the stock brackets and cover just to ensure I don't cause something that could void my warranty!

HAL9001

Reaction score

-Pete
What specifically has changed to not make these brackets fit? I thought the 2020 and 2021 factory OEM brackets were identical.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes I want an answer to this as well. Not like it's a whole lot of money, but if it's not the proper fit, that could lead to other issues when driving the truck. I feel like, at this point, I need to remove these brackets and put back the stock brackets and cover just to ensure I don't cause something that could void my warranty!
You don't need to remove them...nothing bad is going to happen!

mikenene85

Reaction score
Hi all,
i finally install my new brackets for bed with MFT 6.5 ft, and install one side rail of the Backflip Fibermax off from my other truck and works as should be. see photos!!

Attachments

• 20210129_160306.jpg
    20210129_160306.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210129_160412.jpg
    20210129_160412.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210129_160257.jpg
    20210129_160257.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210129_160252.jpg
    20210129_160252.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210129_160321.jpg
    20210129_160321.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210129_160243.jpg
    20210129_160243.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 137

mikenene85

Reaction score
because has been a back and forth conversations about the fitment between 20 and 21 year model. mine is 2021 and i did not want to go with the hassle about the fitment even they say that are the same which probably are. but this one to me are better fit and they added the cross member ! I'm just posting for other members to see what i did on my case, I'm not trying to sell any brackets

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
because has been a back and forth conversations about the fitment between 20 and 21 year model. mine is 2021 and i did not want to go with the hassle about the fitment even they say that are the same which probably are. but this one to me are better fit and they added the cross member ! I'm just posting for other members to see what i did on my case, I'm not trying to sell any brackets
Understood my friend. What did you pay to have them made? The 20 and 21 are exactly the same. Mine fit perfectly without issue. I think if someone is having "issues", they are doing something wrong. The reason to go with Righton is if you are using a cover that requires that space to get in tight to the front of the bed...like my Retax and others. The Righton would have served you just fine, but based on a bunch of folks that provide "bad" info, I can see why you were a bit apprehensive. The Righton brackets are monsters and don't need any type of cross brace. Your guy did an awesome job from the looks of your pics!

mikenene85

Reaction score
im sure they are. i did ask them to add the cross brace just so i can feel better. will be installing a Backflip Fibermax once arrives. did not want to order it till i fit the rails from my other vehicle and worked just fine!!

MF17

Reaction score
Exactly...nothing has changed at all. I think Pete @rightonbracket is confusedo_O
I installed the brackets on a 2021 and the hole configuration is perfect. I had 0 issues happen with installing the screws etc.
Problem I had is not with the hole configuration but with the fact that the brackets are too THINK and protrude to far into the bed.... this does not allow for the Gator cover brackets to run flush to the bed which then does not allow the cover to clip correctly in that corner.

If the brackets were thinner (with the current hole configuration) they will fit perfectly WITH ANY CONVER.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I installed the brackets on a 2021 and the hole configuration is perfect. I had 0 issues happen with installing the screws etc.
Problem I had is not with the hole configuration but with the fact that the brackets are too THINK and protrude to far into the bed.... this does not allow for the Gator cover brackets to run flush to the bed which then does not allow the cover to clip correctly in that corner.

If the brackets were thinner (with the current hole configuration) they will fit perfectly WITH ANY CONVER.
Sounds like that's a cover issue and not a bracket issue. The brackets are only 3/8" thick and need to be strong enough to support the potential load of the door being open and someone putting severe downward pressure on the door like using it as a handrail to help lift you into the bed. The Gator Cover appears very similar to my RETRAX and I had no issues with any interference. I am looking at the install pics of your cover on Gator's website and cannot see how the cover you have could possibly interfere with these brackets. Any pics you can share?

GeorgeA

Reaction score
im sure they are. i did ask them to add the cross brace just so i can feel better. will be installing a Backflip Fibermax once arrives. did not want to order it till i fit the rails from my other vehicle and worked just fine!!
That looks awesome!!

Please let me know if your friend is up for making another pair of brackets.

I also would feel better with the cross brace.

-G

Users who are viewing this thread