5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Nanookian

Reaction score
I used the right on brackets and the ultra flex.
To get the brackets on I had to trim a small piece of my plastic bed rail cover. No biggie.

to get the ultra flex on I tried trimming the weather stripping on the side of the rails but I could never get it seated correctly. I see in @tshurt28 pics the front part of the cover is slightly up- that’s what was happening to mine. I couldn’t do anything to get it fully seated.
So I removed the weather stripping completely from the side of the rail and the thing bolted on flawlessly.

Yes now I have metal rail right up against my plastic bed rail cover but I can’t say I’m too concerned. It looks flush and snaps open and shut as it should.

tedcoxcpa

Reaction score
To get the brackets on I had to trim a small piece of my plastic bed rail cover. No biggie.

to get the ultra flex on I tried trimming the weather stripping on the side of the rails but I could never get it seated correctly. I see in @tshurt28 pics the front part of the cover is slightly up- that’s what was happening to mine. I couldn’t do anything to get it fully seated.
So I removed the weather stripping completely from the side of the rail and the thing bolted on flawlessly.

Yes now I have metal rail right up against my plastic bed rail cover but I can’t say I’m too concerned. It looks flush and snaps open and shut as it should.
Same for me

ramwb

Reaction score

Can you pls point me to the pictures from @tshurt28 - I cannot see them or find them to be accurate

Nanookian

Reaction score
Can you pls point me to the pictures from @tshurt28 - I cannot see them or find them to be accurate
Here is the post: Nov 10, 2020

And the picture below is what I fought with (but even worse) until I removed the weather stripping from the rails (which peeled off very easily).

I know it would have sounded bad to me prior to purchase to "strip of weather sealing", but I wouldn't worry about it. These parts are not custom made for your truck. Nor are they designed by NASA engineers. They are designed generically, with the minimum modifications to work with the RAM. Some basic modifications to make it bolt on better isn't likely to compromise the integrity of the product or design.

Attachments

• Undercover 2.jpg
    Undercover 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 161

bleevin

Reaction score
New to the forum and just read thru the entire thread. Has anyone tried the Right on Bracket with a Roll-N-Lock cover?

ramwb

Reaction score
Here is the post: Nov 10, 2020

And the picture below is what I fought with (but even worse) until I removed the weather stripping from the rails (which peeled off very easily).

I know it would have sounded bad to me prior to purchase to "strip of weather sealing", but I wouldn't worry about it. These parts are not custom made for your truck. Nor are they designed by NASA engineers. They are designed generically, with the minimum modifications to work with the RAM. Some basic modifications to make it bolt on better isn't likely to compromise the integrity of the product or design.
Thanks @Nanookian - I get it now

mia389

Reaction score
I think it would behoove you to put some flush-mounted bolts in the brackets. That will give you more room to fit the canister of the retrax so you don't have to jam it in there.
The shop said they had no problems installing the Retrax Pro with the brackets I installed from Right ON. I informed them they might need to use different screws but when I picked up the truck they said they did not have any problems with the brackets I installed. Love the way my tailgate works with this cover.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The shop said they had no problems installing the Retrax Pro with the brackets I installed from Right ON. I informed them they might need to use different screws but when I picked up the truck they said they did not have any problems with the brackets I installed. Love the way my tailgate works with this cover.
Great! The retrax must be a touch narrower than other retractables

RickWaz

Reaction score
Installed the Retrax ProMX this weekend: https://retrax.com/product-detail/80244.

1607972091776.png

MANY thanks to @@Snicklefritz_76 for his help and some of his tips, especially about using replacement/upgraded weather-stripping.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
We changed the design of our brackets! We increased the size of each hole by 1/16". This should allow for easier installation. I know many of you have had some issues with the holes not lining up perfectly. This should solve the issue.

Many of you have been reaching out regarding the shipping speed. We cover the cost of ground shipping, but this has been extremely slow due to the holiday season and pandemic. As we come out of the holidays, hopefully this speeds up. You can see their alert here:

Here's a link to our product page:

Thank you,

-Pete

Last edited:

J48

Reaction score
We changed the design of our brackets! We increased the size of each hole by 1/16". This should allow for easier installation. I know many of you have had some issues with the holes not lining up perfectly. This should solve the issue.

Many of you have been reaching out regarding the shipping speed. We cover the cost of ground shipping, but this has been extremely slow due to the holiday season and pandemic. As we come out of the holidays, hopefully this speeds up. You can see their alert here:

Here's a link to our product page:

Thank you,

-Pete
Hey Pete, I received my brackets last week and don’t know if it’s the new design, but mine fit great! As others on this thread have pointed out, they looked off until I got the bolts going and as they tightened down, everything lined up just fine.

Bop

Reaction score
That's what I had to do. I still needed to force it between the brackets but in retrospect, if you countersync and use flatheads for the two screws on each side that attach the rails to the plastic canister ends, I think it will fit without needing a mallet. I also had to take a little off the end of the rear cross piece to get it installed, but it's installed and works fine.

Mine is 2015 vintage. One MX

View attachment 71588

View attachment 71589
I love it, very freaking nice, enjoy

J48

Reaction score
Add another successful Bak Revolver X4 install to the list. I had to work through a few issues with the cover’s rails which required slight modifications, but she’s in. Big thanks to Pete and the RightOn team for the brackets, and also to Kooch80 for his write up on the same cover.

So here are the issues I ran into:
Issue 1: Factory bed brackets won't allow tonneau cover rail installation
Solution: Replaced brackets with Right On Brackets

Issue 2: Plastic bed rail covers prevented Right On Bracket installation
Solution: Trimmed plastic - I planned to use a Dremel, but a pair of snips made short work of it
Trimmed Plastic.JPG

Issue 3: New bracket cutout did not line up with bed bolt washer.
Solution: (right, wrong, or indifferent) I ignored it and installed the bracket on top of it
IMG_1661.JPG

Issue 4: Center bracket bolts (bed side - not cab side) prevented the cover rail from laying flush with the bed rail.
Solution: I drilled the cover rail to allow it to sit around the bracket bolt.
Issue 4.JPG Drilled Rail Bolt Hole.JPG

Issue 5: The Right On Brackets obviously stick out from the bed which causes the cover rails to flex inward as they get closer to the cab. This makes it difficult for the cover to drop down into the rail channel.
Solution: I kept the four cover bolts (near the cab) loose until I could work the clips into place. This problem only surfaced with one clip on the passenger side, about eight inches from the cab. It finally snapped into place, and I secured the bolts. The rest of the cover rolled out nicely and without issue. Since I plan to keep the cover down flat 80 percent of the time, I'm willing live with this (with the hope it will settle in, lol) though I may go back and remove the washer (issue 3) to see if it gives me a little more space to work with.
IMG_1667.JPG Issue 5.JPG

Issue 6: The driver's side cover rail near the tailgate angles upward. This causes the cover to slightly raise, creating a 1/8 inch gap.
Solution: None yet (I ran outta time)

Overall Thoughts:
I loved the Bak Flip cover I had on my F150, and was excited for the Revolver's solution for visibility. It does seem that build quality has declined, but at the same time I don't think Bak cheaped out either. Compared to previous covers, this tonneau looks like it will prevent large amounts water from getting in, but only time will tell. Install is not perfect, but acceptably within tolerance. Despite having to work through a few issues, I'm very happy with the cover, and wouldn't have gone with anything else on the market.

Cheers!
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1689.jpg

Last edited:

WareWolf

Reaction score
Add another successful Bak Revolver X4 install to the list. I had to work through a few issues with the cover’s rails which required slight modifications, but she’s in. Big thanks to Pete and the RightOn team for the brackets, and also to Kooch80 for his write up on the same cover.

So here are the issues I ran into:
Issue 1: Factory bed brackets won't allow tonneau cover rail installation
Solution: Replaced brackets with Right On Brackets

Issue 2: Plastic bed rail covers prevented Right On Bracket installation
Solution: Trimmed plastic - I planned to use a Dremel, but a pair of snips made short work of it
View attachment 77060

Issue 3: New bracket cutout did not line up with bed bolt washer.
Solution: (right, wrong, or indifferent) I ignored it and installed the bracket on top of it
View attachment 77061

Issue 4: Center bracket bolts (bed side - not cab side) prevented the cover rail from laying flush with the bed rail.
Solution: I drilled the cover rail to allow it to sit around the bracket bolt.
View attachment 77062 View attachment 77063

Issue 5: The Right On Brackets obviously stick out from the bed which causes the cover rails to flex inward as they get closer to the cab. This makes it difficult for the cover to drop down into the rail channel.
Solution: I kept the four cover bolts (near the cab) loose until I could work the clips into place. This problem only surfaced with one clip on the passenger side, about eight inches from the cab. It finally snapped into place, and I secured the bolts. The rest of the cover rolled out nicely and without issue. Since I plan to keep the cover down flat 80 percent of the time, I'm willing live with this (with the hope it will settle in, lol) though I may go back and remove the washer (issue 3) to see if it gives me a little more space to work with.
View attachment 77069 View attachment 77064

Issue 6: The driver's side cover rail near the tailgate angles upward. This causes the cover to slightly raise, creating a 1/8 inch gap.
Solution: None yet (I ran outta time)

Overall Thoughts:
I loved the Bak Flip cover I had on my F150, and was excited for the Revolver's solution for visibility. It does seem that build quality has declined, but at the same time I don't think Bak cheaped out either. Compared to previous covers, this tonneau looks like it will prevent large amounts water from getting in, but only time will tell. Install is not perfect, but acceptably within tolerance. Despite having to work through a few issues, I'm very happy with the cover, and wouldn't have gone with anything else on the market.

Cheers!
View attachment 77066
View attachment 77068
Thanks for sharing this information. I have been looking at options for my 2020, and I had a revolver x2 on my 2012 Raptor which I really liked. I had the original bakbox too, so I'm probably going to go that route. If only playing dress up on the truck didn't cost so much! :)

Reactions: J48

Portercycling250

Reaction score
RJS - Thank you so much - this is such a relief - I will be getting my truck soon - and I am pretty set on a Retrax Pro XR - where is a good place to get a good deal if you know or can recommend it.
I’ve been reading this entire thread and noticed you were getting the Retrax XR which is something I’m thinking about. Using the Right on brackets did it install without issues?.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been reading this entire thread and noticed you were getting the Retrax XR which is something I’m thinking about. Using the Right on brackets did it install without issues?.
Retrax fits no issue with the RO brackets, several have confirmed on here.

Baileycom

Reaction score
I cruised through the thread and didn't see any mentions, but has anyone installed the Lomax tri-fold with the MFT? How did it turn out? I really like the low profile.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cruised through the thread and didn't see any mentions, but has anyone installed the Lomax tri-fold with the MFT? How did it turn out? I really like the low profile.
It wasn’t great when I tried it, the rail is different than most on here, and has to sit all the way to the bulkhead, which even the right on brackets don’t allow.

Users who are viewing this thread