5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

doolin64

Reaction score
Mine appeared off but once you started to tight the bolts down it sucked into alignment. At least enought where I could thread all the bolts in without an issue.

Cudaman

Reaction score
Mine appeared off but once you started to tight the bolts down it sucked into alignment. At least enought where I could thread all the bolts in without an issue.
I tried many different combinations before slotting the holes including tightening down the holes that lined up. Glad to hear yours worked better.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Same for me. I also noticed that the order I screwed the bills in mattered in how it affected the bed

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the tri-fold cover that you can get installed from Ram? Is it made by a 3rd party manufacturer for Ram? And you can order it with the multi-function tailgate, so is the stock tri-fold cover designed in a specific way that it works with the corner braces? One of the trucks I'm looking at online has it, and I'm curious if it's any good, or just a cheap quality cover.

Skater

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the tri-fold cover that you can get installed from Ram? Is it made by a 3rd party manufacturer for Ram? And you can order it with the multi-function tailgate, so is the stock tri-fold cover designed in a specific way that it works with the corner braces? One of the trucks I'm looking at online has it, and I'm curious if it's any good, or just a cheap quality cover.
I do not know who makes it. I have the MFT with my Black Appearance Package and the RAM OEM tonneau came with the package, so it works with the MFT. The brackets that hold the bed together do not impede the clamps that hold the OEM tonneau in place. However, in my opinion, the OEM tonneau is flimsy, cheap, and flaps in the wind like a flag above 20 miles an hour. I have my OEM tonneau sitting in the box in which my WeatherTech Alloy was shipped. I replaced the OEM tonneau in the first week I had my Limited. I am trying to decide if anyone will buy it and I should sell it on here, or just take it to the dump.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Been meaning to get to this thread for a while now...

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.

Now for the tonneau cover.

I have a 2020 RAM with MFT and Ramboxes which really limited me on tonneau cover choices. I went with the RetraxOne MX (60244). Ordered it through Lucas Kyle at http://truckalterations.com/. He gave me a great price and delivery was quick.

Install was pretty straight forward, what I really liked is I can still use my bed rail tie-down cleats and my cargo divider.
View attachment 62241

What I didn't like was the flimsy drain tubes for the main canister. They leaked and were a little too short to reach the drain holes in the bed. The tonneau cover also leaks around the seals.

I replaced the drain tubes with heavy duty drain tubes and siliconed the
View attachment 62244

I replaced the weather stripping the cover came with better quality and added extra around the tailgate. I finished it off with some LED bed light strips. Wiring was pretty easy, I spliced into the switch in the bed and added a switch to use as a bypass. I didn't have to remove the taillight or bed light since the wires were easily accessible from under the truck.
View attachment 62246
View attachment 62247

I installed the LED strips behind the tonneau cover frame which gives it a stock look with the lights. Here are some pics of the finished project.
View attachment 62248

I added weather stripping to the top of the tailgate which has helped a lot with water leakage.
View attachment 62251

Here's the bed with all the lights turned on, I replaced the brake lights with LEDs as well so it's pretty bright.
View attachment 62249

Bed using the bypass switch.
View attachment 62250
VERY sweet installations!

tshurt28

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the info on the Undercover Ultraflex. I installed mine today and it went exactly as you described. I love the cover! I spent the most time getting the Right On Brackets to fit ( well over an hour of drilling to slot the holes). The rail side of the brackets lined up perfectly on both sides, however all six cab side bed rail holes were off by 1/4 to 1/2 hole. I appreciate the fact that Right On Brackets are making these, but I know others have had the same problem. Maybe they could slot the holes if the fit is not exact on every truck.
I had the same issue with the @rightonbracket bracket not aligning properly and thought a slotted version would be a great solution, but maybe there is something I am missing. The center hole at the cab was fine, but the others provide a bit more difficult. I ended up just getting them started at an angle and they just self corrected.

doolin64

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the @rightonbracket bracket not aligning properly and thought a slotted version would be a great solution, but maybe there is something I am missing. The center hole at the cab was fine, but the others provide a bit more difficult. I ended up just getting them started at an angle and they just self corrected.
That's a better description of my experience.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Been meaning to get to this thread for a while now...

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.

Now for the tonneau cover.

I have a 2020 RAM with MFT and Ramboxes which really limited me on tonneau cover choices. I went with the RetraxOne MX (60244). Ordered it through Lucas Kyle at http://truckalterations.com/. He gave me a great price and delivery was quick.

Install was pretty straight forward, what I really liked is I can still use my bed rail tie-down cleats and my cargo divider.
View attachment 62241

What I didn't like was the flimsy drain tubes for the main canister. They leaked and were a little too short to reach the drain holes in the bed. The tonneau cover also leaks around the seals.

I replaced the drain tubes with heavy duty drain tubes and siliconed the
View attachment 62244

I replaced the weather stripping the cover came with better quality and added extra around the tailgate. I finished it off with some LED bed light strips. Wiring was pretty easy, I spliced into the switch in the bed and added a switch to use as a bypass. I didn't have to remove the taillight or bed light since the wires were easily accessible from under the truck.
View attachment 62246
View attachment 62247

I installed the LED strips behind the tonneau cover frame which gives it a stock look with the lights. Here are some pics of the finished project.
View attachment 62248

I added weather stripping to the top of the tailgate which has helped a lot with water leakage.
View attachment 62251

Here's the bed with all the lights turned on, I replaced the brake lights with LEDs as well so it's pretty bright.
View attachment 62249

Bed using the bypass switch.
View attachment 62250
Many thanks Snicklefritz_76 for all the info, tips and pix! My 2020 Limited has the same bed features as yours and your info convinced my to order the Retrax Pro MX (P/N = 80244)
https://retrax.com/product-detail/80244

PS Your patriotic graphics are terrific!

Cudaman

Reaction score
I am always worried about cross threading so I did not want to start them on an angle. At least one of the holes was off by a half of a hole so it had to be drilled for sure. Reading through the posts, Right On Brackets stated they have had several calls from customers with this issue. I am glad they are making the brackets allowing us to install nice covers, but is seems like a simple mod to the brackets (slotting the holes) would help future customers get the brackets installed easier.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Many thanks Snicklefritz_76 for all the info, tips and pix! My 2020 Limited has the same bed features as yours and your info convinced my to order the Retrax Pro MX (P/N = 80244)
https://retrax.com/product-detail/80244

PS Your patriotic graphics are terrific!

Thank you sir! After figuring out how to stop the leaks I'm very happy with the cover. As a bonus it's very easy to take off/put back on as long as you have a place to store the canister and the rails. I've removed it a few times to haul large cargo.

Lhboyd27

Reaction score
+1 for the Right On Bracket and the RetraxPro XR cover.

Many thanks to the contributors of this thread for the information. Couldn't have done it without you!

I ordered the cover from TonneauFactoryOutlet.

Only issue I ran into was I initially thought the holes in the Right On Bracket were not drilled properly - the holes in the bracket and the bed were not lining up as mentioned by other posters. Was worried the bolts would strip if I put them in at an angle.

Solution for me was to secure the bracket to the outside walls of the bed of the truck first. Tightening down the bolts seemed to pull the bracket into a position where the holes in the bracket and the part of the bed facing the cab of the truck went into alignment properly so the bolts could be started without going in at an angle.

Had 3 days of solid rain and more water than I'd like is getting into the bed.

When the rain stops, will try to reassess the fit to make sure the seal is good but other than that am very satisfied with the purchase. Any advice on helping to get a better seal to prevent water getting in would be appreciated.

Kudos again to all who contributed to this thread!

AutoTerry

Reaction score
+1 for the Right On Bracket and the RetraxPro XR cover.

Many thanks to the contributors of this thread for the information. Couldn't have done it without you!

I ordered the cover from TonneauFactoryOutlet.

Only issue I ran into was I initially thought the holes in the Right On Bracket were not drilled properly - the holes in the bracket and the bed were not lining up as mentioned by other posters. Was worried the bolts would strip if I put them in at an angle.

Solution for me was to secure the bracket to the outside walls of the bed of the truck first. Tightening down the bolts seemed to pull the bracket into a position where the holes in the bracket and the part of the bed facing the cab of the truck went into alignment properly so the bolts could be started without going in at an angle.

Had 3 days of solid rain and more water than I'd like is getting into the bed.

When the rain stops, will try to reassess the fit to make sure the seal is good but other than that am very satisfied with the purchase. Any advice on helping to get a better seal to prevent water getting in would be appreciated.

Kudos again to all who contributed to this thread!
Did you figure out the area water is getting into the bed and the solution? Trying to decide on my truck with or without the MFT. I need a tonneau and want to keep the bed as dry as possible. If anyone used any weatherstrip to remedy this situation, I would appreciate any input. Thanks all!

ramwb

Reaction score
Finally got my Retrax ProXR installed on my 2020 Ram 1500 5'7 bed without rambox and with Multi function tailgate.. The brackets that were made by rightonbracket.com were spot on. They fit like a glove. I installed the Retrax Pro XR with my wife which took about an hour plus a little bit of bickering. The retrax cover fit perfect with good sealing front and rear. The tailgate doors open and close nicely. I couldn't be happier with the brackets and I feel that the View attachment 42689 View attachment 42690 View attachment 42691 View attachment 42692 View attachment 42693 View attachment 42689 View attachment 42690 View attachment 42691 View attachment 42692 View attachment 42693 y are stronger and will last just as long as the originals.
Hi - I don't want to drill in my bed for drainage - how did you do it - I see you have it drilled to the side? Can you please share your experience?

ramwb

Reaction score
How do you attach the drain tubes on the Retrax Pro XR - I don't want to drill holes in the bed?

RJS

Reaction score
How do you attach the drain tubes on the Retrax Pro XR - I don't want to drill holes in the bed?
Through the hole next to the tiedowns.

Attachments

• drain location.jpg
    drain location.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 140

ramwb

Reaction score
Through the hole next to the tiedowns.
RJS - Thank you so much - this is such a relief - I will be getting my truck soon - and I am pretty set on a Retrax Pro XR - where is a good place to get a good deal if you know or can recommend it.

Carussell

Reaction score
A few photos of the installed gator recoil with the right on brackets . Install wasn’t too bad. Lining these things up always sucks a bit.
Do you have a link for this bracket you speak of?... and the tonneau cover?

Users who are viewing this thread