5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle controllers...

Ram Dude

Reaction score
i have been using the idrive for about a month & completely content with it. i said "content" because i have nothing to compare it to & i know there are hundreds of products out there that's available.

my experience with it has been 99.9% positive - the delay when on complete stop is gone. There are times when you are on certain speed & when you mash on the throttle & there's a delay when the truck has to down shift 1 or 2 gears, but this delay when down shifting is noticeably a lot less compared to without the idrive. I'm pretty sure that there is no going around that since it is an 8 gear automatic & pushing a 6k lbs diesel truck around.

Same with Vitesse (still hair delay) but the power is insane and I feel more linear vs iDrive. Combined with Borla S-Type it’s a proverbial race truck. Keep it on SP07, tap it through neighborhood and just touch it to get on highway and I’m smoothly and instantly at 80 mph. LOVE IT!

RickWaz

Reaction score
Anymore reviews or experiences w/ the HIKE IT X9?

I've only found a couple of posts that mention that particular Throttle Controller, w/ positive comments. Other websites also have very positive reviews.

It's priced a bit lower than most & has some features that may be unique to it:

- 32 Bit chip,
- Anti-theft mode,
- Auto IQ Mode,
- Auto-dimming,
- Lifetime warranty.

I'm looking to purchase in the near future. Thanks!

HIKE IT-X9 Premium Vehicle Specific Pedal Controller with 4 Driving Modes PLUS Auto Selection Mode - HIKE IT

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Anymore reviews or experiences w/ the HIKE IT X9?

I've only found a couple of posts that mention that particular Throttle Controller, w/ positive comments. Other websites also have very positive reviews.

It's priced a bit lower than most & has some features that may be unique to it:

- 32 Bit chip,
- Anti-theft mode,
- Auto IQ Mode,
- Auto-dimming,
- Lifetime warranty.

I'm looking to purchase in the near future. Thanks!

HIKE IT-X9 Premium Vehicle Specific Pedal Controller with 4 Driving Modes PLUS Auto Selection Mode - HIKE IT
I'm suspicious. I don't like their advertisement comparing their products to "Competitors 1,2,3" Why not use the Brand Names if " Hike it" is so sure of their product? Perhaps they will get called out for deception? Where is "hike It" manufactured? I see in the advert a flag that looks similar to the European Nations Flag, but it is not. "About us' is very vague. I think the American Built units mentioned in this blog are very straight forward without mystery. I saw some comments after googling it. Not made in the USA. Where is not clarified.

RiverRocket

Reaction score
I just installed the Banks Pedal Monster. FYI, the reverse safety doesn't work on most vehicles yet. They have no ETA for that feature. So if you are buying it for the reverse safety you are out of luck as of now. I back in a very small garage and I'm towing all the time. It was one of the key reasons I went with banks over other products. I'm going to see if the low speed trim works to limit the response. That should do the same thing. At this point, I'm not sure if I will return it yet or not.

kittyjo

Reaction score
I just installed the Banks Pedal Monster. FYI, the reverse safety doesn't work on most vehicles yet. They have no ETA for that feature. So if you are buying it for the reverse safety you are out of luck as of now. I back in a very small garage and I'm towing all the time. It was one of the key reasons I went with banks over other products. I'm going to see if the low speed trim works to limit the response. That should do the same thing. At this point, I'm not sure if I will return it yet or not.
I trying to sell mine lol it’s so annoying having to stop to change the settings .

RickWaz

Reaction score
I'm suspicious. I don't like their advertisement comparing their products to "Competitors 1,2,3" Why not use the Brand Names if " Hike it" is so sure of their product? Perhaps they will get called out for deception? Where is "hike It" manufactured? I see in the advert a flag that looks similar to the European Nations Flag, but it is not. "About us' is very vague. I think the American Built units mentioned in this blog are very straight forward without mystery. I saw some comments after googling it. Not made in the USA. Where is not clarified.
Thanks for your reply and some great points made! Still on the fence on getting a TC (leaning yes). Most posters seem to like TCs and those w/ the PC also are mostly pleased. So I'll keep researching & debating & reading posts & ... 😵

AutoTerry

Reaction score
I have read through the whole thread and researched throttle controllers on other sites as well. There are some good one's out there, but I really wanted the best to fit my needs. I have 2 friends that have them, one has a pedal commander and the other a Sprint Booster. While they love them, one had the dead pedal problem and the other tripping engine codes. One sold his the other did an exchange and his seems to be working ok for now. My biggest concern was while driving was to have an issue, and most importantly safety of my family. I hated the pedal lag on acceleration and wanted that fixed, so I decided the best one for me was the Banks Pedal Monster. Here are my reasons for that choice:

1. In talking with a friend who is a Service Rep for one of the Big 3 (the guy the dealers call when they can't fix a car) advised that pulling power off the pedal circuit
was not a fool proof process of obtaining power for a module. Drawing it from the OBD port has no issues. After all many insurance companies have monitoring devices that use the OBD port. This is a safer way to connect to a power source, plus the Banks unit draws other data to aid in programing.
2. Built in safety system in case there is a module problem it reverts to just using the stock connection. No dead pedal too get you in a bad situation. My safety and my families is critical!!!!
3. The ability to hide the module and adjust via bluetooth. Not a big deal for me as adjusting on the fly is nice, but I just did some test driving and found my fav 3 settings. One for everyday driving that removes the lag, one for fun, and one for this is a hoot!
4. Under 10 mph adjustable trim for reverse handling and parking lot or trailer maneuvering. The reverse safety is coming for the RAM 1500
5. Made in the USA
6. Tech Support. I called Banks 3 times while deciding and other questions. Got right through with 1 small wait time and immediately the other 2 times. Great service and solid tech support. I am an old ASE certified tech so I appreciate knowledgeable support people.
7. Banks has been around a long time and always produces great parts and stands behind them. I had a part of theirs fail on a motorhome and it was out of warranty and they still replaced it, I just had to pay for shipping!

While it is all about personal taste on selecting any product, I just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences about my selection. What ever you decide on which throttle controller it sure does make the truck a lot more fun to drive and a better experience by removing the lag the OE builds in for squeezing out every tenth of extra MPG's and for the liability reasons for too touchy of a pedal.

I have had my unit for a over a week and it works flawless, no codes, no issues and enjoying it. It is always fun to customize your truck for your interests. Good luck to all with your mods. Here is a video link that helped me decide.

Have fun!

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I have read through the whole thread and researched throttle controllers on other sites as well. There are some good one's out there, but I really wanted the best to fit my needs. I have 2 friends that have them, one has a pedal commander and the other a Sprint Booster. While they love them, one had the dead pedal problem and the other tripping engine codes. One sold his the other did an exchange and his seems to be working ok for now. My biggest concern was while driving was to have an issue, and most importantly safety of my family. I hated the pedal lag on acceleration and wanted that fixed, so I decided the best one for me was the Banks Pedal Monster. Here are my reasons for that choice:

1. In talking with a friend who is a Service Rep for one of the Big 3 (the guy the dealers call when they can't fix a car) advised that pulling power off the pedal circuit
was not a fool proof process of obtaining power for a module. Drawing it from the OBD port has no issues. After all many insurance companies have monitoring devices that use the OBD port. This is a safer way to connect to a power source, plus the Banks unit draws other data to aid in programing.
2. Built in safety system in case there is a module problem it reverts to just using the stock connection. No dead pedal too get you in a bad situation. My safety and my families is critical!!!!
3. The ability to hide the module and adjust via bluetooth. Not a big deal for me as adjusting on the fly is nice, but I just did some test driving and found my fav 3 settings. One for everyday driving that removes the lag, one for fun, and one for this is a hoot!
4. Under 10 mph adjustable trim for reverse handling and parking lot or trailer maneuvering. The reverse safety is coming for the RAM 1500
5. Made in the USA
6. Tech Support. I called Banks 3 times while deciding and other questions. Got right through with 1 small wait time and immediately the other 2 times. Great service and solid tech support. I am an old ASE certified tech so I appreciate knowledgeable support people.
7. Banks has been around a long time and always produces great parts and stands behind them. I had a part of theirs fail on a motorhome and it was out of warranty and they still replaced it, I just had to pay for shipping!

While it is all about personal taste on selecting any product, I just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences about my selection. What ever you decide on which throttle controller it sure does make the truck a lot more fun to drive and a better experience by removing the lag the OE builds in for squeezing out every tenth of extra MPG's and for the liability reasons for too touchy of a pedal.

I have had my unit for a over a week and it works flawless, no codes, no issues and enjoying it. It is always fun to customize your truck for your interests. Good luck to all with your mods. Here is a video link that helped me decide.

Have fun!
Thank you for posting your in-depth analysis. You make good sense and I like your conclusion. I think in the spring I'll be ready to get the Banks unit.
I really want FCA to fix my dam grinding issue first, its loud as hell now with no solution. Its so annoying and to think FCA is basically telling me/us you are not a valued customer.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

5. Made in the USA

Have fun!
This is probably one of the few units worth the asking price considering the features/fail safes. Marketing is a bit cringe though. And, I don't believe their claims of removing throttle lag/improving response time. The pedal input has no control over this. Without tuning something in the PCM, you are never going to change that.

My $70 9-Drive throttle controller works just fine at making the pedal more sensitive - the same primary purpose as all these other controllers.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Sprint Booster on my 2017 Jeep GC for the past 2 years. It threw a code 3 months after having it and then went away after disconnecting it. Kept it off for a few days and then put back on. About a month later the same thing happened. Then one time taking off at a stop light about 10-15 seconds going about 50mph the throttle just stopped working (9:30 at night). I had to completely disconnect it just to get back home. Next day I contacted Sprintbooster about the issues and they wanted me to send it in to be looked at. 2 weeks later they sent me one back and it has been good ever since, about a year now. Not sure I would another one of these. I have been looking at the Pedal Monster and Pedal Commander since it seems all of these units are around the same price. just throughing my 2 cents in.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So what's the consensus, are these things worthwhile and which one to go with?

Njnyc

Reaction score
I have the hike it x5 controller ... it’s pretty awesome .

TBfshr

Reaction score
I chose a Sprint booster on my other truck after doing some research. I like it better than the PC because it's simple and not bulky easy to hide if needed. It really woke up my Nissan Titan.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes they do work on making the response quicker. Would I buy another one - Yes I will. Which one? Might try the Pedal Monster if the reverse feature actually works and the little added security it has about dead pedal.

Last edited:

RiverRocket

Reaction score
I ended up returning my Banks. I didn't like having to stop to change it. I also didn't like the fact that it didn't have reverse safety like they advertised and they didn't know when that feature would roll out for our model.

The final kiss of death for it was I ran my data logger on it one morning. For some reason that I cannot explain the truck ran its best 0-60 times with the Banks off or in Stock mode. All testing was back to back and any setting other than Track resulted in a slower 0-60 time. I did multiple passes and the results were consistent. The Banks has 4 modes (Stock, City, Sport, Track) and Stock was the fastest followed closely by Track. City and Sport both resulted in slower times. I have a high-end data logger as well, so it wasn't the recording device. The only setting I would even think of daily driving with is City. Track was super hot. I wouldn't daily drive in that setting.

Recorded 0-60 times
Stock 6.67s
City 7.15s
Sport 7.40s
Track 6.69s

Last edited:

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up returning my Banks. I didn't like having to stop to change it. I also didn't like the fact that it didn't have reverse safety like they advertised and they didn't know when that feature would roll out for our model.

The final kiss of death for it was I ran my data logger on it one morning. For some reason that I cannot explain the truck ran its best 0-60 times with the Banks off or in Stock mode. All testing was back to back and any setting other than Track resulted in a slower 0-60 time. I did multiple passes and the results were consistent. The Banks has 4 modes (Stock, City, Sport, Track) and Stock was the fastest followed closely by Track. City and Sport both resulted in slower times. I have a high-end data logger as well, so it wasn't the recording device. The only setting I would even think of daily driving with is City. Track was super hot. I wouldn't daily drive in that setting.

Recorded 0-60 times
Stock 6.67s
City 7.15s
Sport 7.40s
Track 6.69s

Interesting you say that on the reverse safety as I just got emails back from them stating that the reverse feature was just working. Did you ever do a firmware update on yours?

RiverRocket

Reaction score
Interesting you say that on the reverse safety as I just got emails back from them stating that the reverse feature was just working. Did you ever do a firmware update on yours?
I called them and talked with tech support. They said no update available for mine. Then I asked when they would have the feature available and he put me on hold and checked. He came back and said no timeline. The app is supposed to auto update. It's clear in the app if you have it. It's got its own icon. Mine said not available or something like that. This was as of two weeks ago. I waited out my return window and then sent it back.

Users who are viewing this thread