5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Cold Air Intakes?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually read another thread on here somewhere. Somebody installed the Mopar CIA like they put on the GTs, and said he picked up 1 1/2 mpg. It had a low restriction filter, and like one commenter on that thread said " they don't put it on the GTs for nothing.
Maybe he installed it in the Spring and got improvement as warmer weather thinned oil and air, softened grease and rubber, and increased tire pressure. ;)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe he installed it in the Spring and got improvement as warmer weather thinned oil and air, softened grease and rubber, and increased tire pressure. ;)
More likely he disconnected the battery like it says on the install instructions and the truck just relearned his driving style. Disconnecting your battery gives you more performance then an aftermarket CAI on these trucks as stock as they are.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I actually read another thread on here somewhere. Somebody installed the Mopar CIA like they put on the GTs, and said he picked up 1 1/2 mpg. It had a low restriction filter, and like one commenter on that thread said " they don't put it on the GTs for nothing.
Don't believe everything you read in forums. I installed that intake (Mopar Ram Airflow) and saw no noticeable increase in either mpg or performance. If he did actually see any increase in mpg it was for the reason @Darksteel165 talked about. Which wouldn't have lasted for long.

Choate

Reaction score
They look better. If you’re thinking about it and want it just do it but yeah it won’t make much if any of a difference. I’ve got one one my cobra but it is a much larger diameter tube and has 20lbs of boost so it needs to suck a lot harder (insert girlfriend joke here)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They put it on the GTs to make it different so people will buy it. They don't market the GTs as having any additional performance over the regular Hemi 1500s. If there was, you can be damn sure they would be using that in the advertising

Ohsobad

Reaction score
I found these videos that I found interesting and appear to be pretty honest. You can FF through them and get to the good parts.
Hope these help to possible answer some questions.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I found these videos that I found interesting and appear to be pretty honest. You can FF through them and get to the good parts.

There we go, dyno proof they do work. I don't really care about the sound, or HP, but if it does increase HP, it's working more efficiently, meaning more MPG. Thank you for finding and posting.

BackCountryinNJ

banned at member request but still lurking
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing. I'm installing my Ram Airflow this weekend...hoping for some mid-range gains in power. If nothing else, it will look cool. That's worth something too.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There we go, dyno proof they do work. I don't really care about the sound, or HP, but if it does increase HP, it's working more efficiently, meaning more MPG. Thank you for finding and posting.
well more hp dosent always means more mpg... add a supercharger, everyone knows you will get more hp, and its more efficient but even if you baby it, it will take more gas, therefore losing mpg.

for cai, there is no proof you can gain or lose mpg, so still not sure you could actually gain mpg, for sure it will be minimal if any gain,

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
well more hp dosent always means more mpg... add a supercharger, everyone knows you will get more hp, and its more efficient but even if you baby it, it will take more gas, therefore losing mpg.

for cai, there is no proof you can gain or lose mpg, so still not sure you could actually gain mpg, for sure it will be minimal if any gain,
It may be minimal, but if I gain 2% it still helps. Freer breathing sure isn't going to hurt.

Choate

Reaction score
This argument has been going on since I can remember on the 05 GTO forums. Some say they’re hot air intakes and the box keeps the heat away.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This argument has been going on since I can remember on the 05 GTO forums. Some say they’re hot air intakes and the box keeps the heat away.
Nice thing about Vararam and RamAir is they are sealed and pull in air from in front of radiator, so no under hood air

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Color me skeptical. How accurate can those dyno runs really be if they have to manipulate the throttle to keep the trans from down shifting during the test? I'd have been able to feel a 10hp and 10lb/ft torque increase when I installed the Ram AirFlow intake, and it just wasn't there.

I also have a problem with people who say foot/pounds instead of the correct pound/feet when discussing engine torque. But that's another story LOL

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Color me skeptical. How accurate can those dyno runs really be if they have to manipulate the throttle to keep the trans from down shifting during the test? I'd have been able to feel a 10hp and 10lb/ft torque increase when I installed the Ram AirFlow intake, and it just wasn't there.

I also have a problem with people who say foot/pounds instead of the correct pound/feet when discussing engine torque. But that's another story LOL
You'd have to have a pretty sensitive butt dyno to feel 10hp in the mid range

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

He also admins he doesn't get a tune. You can't just increase airflow by a boat load and not adjust the engine to do anything with that air.

You'd have to have a pretty sensitive butt dyno to feel 10hp in the mid range
I mean that theoretical 10hp is an entire 2% increase over stock LOL.
Not sure what you can notice a 2% change on.

I'm still going with removing your battery cable (which is part of the install of the intake) will make a bigger difference.

I did notice an improvement with my last updated tune after my Vararam intake. More of a difference then getting the tune on the stock truck with just the exhaust changed. But to be clear not really a difference the matters, just a smoothness is the engine at wot during hard shifts, not going to make my truck very much faster, but not slower.

Users who are viewing this thread