5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW 5.7L HEMI with eTorque

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Legendary HEMI power: 5.7-liter V-8 delivers 395 horsepowerThe brawny 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 combines the muscle of 395 horsepower and 410 lb.-ft. of torque – in a smooth, broad power band that avoids the hesitation and peakiness of turbocharged engines – with performance-enhancing and fuel-saving technologies that include variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation.

With Fuel Saver Technology (cylinder deactivation), the engine control computer turns off fuel and spark, and closes the intake and exhaust valves on four of the engine’s eight cylinders during light load operation, such as highway cruising when full power is not needed.

Variable camshaft timing helps maximize fuel economy by reducing the engine’s pumping work via a delayed closing of the intake valve, which increases the expansion process of the combustion event.

The HEMI V-8 in the 2019 Ram 1500 benefits from a new 850-watt electric cooling fan using Pulse Width Modulation to tailor the fan’s energy draw to the cooling demand. Eliminating the traditional fan blade mounted to the front of the engine helps improve fuel economy by reducing parasitic losses and fan noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSabAgpUAg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see Ram keeps coming up with innovation to keep using what they know. Other companies seem to keep wanting to get completely new parts to their puzzle than improving what they have.

FCA seems to have alot of talented people.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea of when the Etorque Hemi will be available?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Biga said:
Does anyone have any idea of when the Etorque Hemi will be available?
Probably around the same time as the V6 Pentastar.....August 2018 is when production starts on the V6.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay thanks, want to wait and see some reviews on the etorque to see if it's worth waiting for.

Rupbre

Reaction score
I know you can order this motor, but is it in production?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just heard back from my source, no 5.7 Hemi eTorques have been ran down the line in months. They did a few as test vehicles and some show units obviously but none for production yet.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
Just heard back from my source, no 5.7 Hemi eTorques have been ran down the line in months. They did a few as test vehicles and some show units obviously but none for production yet.
Like that you brought it to our attention, but not that it is yet to be in production ! You would think they would still make some for TESTING with whatever tweaks they are finding necessary ! ? Sure hope this eTorque thing gonna "work out"! ? I'm counting on it big-time, since the V6 ONLY comes with it ! Got an emoji for CROSSED FINGERS & TOES ? ? ?
1f914.png

1f617.png

1f615.png

1f914.png
?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed the V8 Etorque no longer shows late availability on the Ram build site. Must be getting close to production, or the site has a glitch again.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
At least it's available on the US site, no even a option on Canadian site. At least not for what I am looking at.

Kilgy5

Reaction score
Dealer told me yeaterday that both hemi s come standard with start stop tech can anyone confirm this???

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The regular (non-eTorque) Hemi does not come with start stop standard. I've test driven a few in 4x2 and 4x4 and they don't have it - don't have the disable button below the shifter either.
The marketing plays up eTorque as making the start stop much smoother with the eTorque motor handling the work instead of the normal starter. So no eTorque, no start stop.

D

Deleted member103

Kilgy5 said:
Dealer told me yeaterday that both hemi s come standard with start stop tech can anyone confirm this???
Those the "Dealers" words or your interpretation ? Dealer Makes no sense . . . there is only the ONE Hemi-V8 for the DT 1500 / as of now ! Later in the year the (same/only) Hemi will also be offered with eTorque - same engine otherwise ! Can't miss the eTorque equipment under the hood; staring you right in the face ! ! ! The start/stop is ONLY with the eTorque version V8 ! NOW, on the other hand, the V6 ONLY comes WITH the etorque and thus IT also ONLY comes WITH the start/stop too ! Personally I wish start/stop was an OPTION for both engines, but then I suppose most people would opt-out -- then the EPA would be breathing down FCA's neck about MPG standards below expectations !?

Kilgy5

Reaction score
Both versions of the hemi are availble to order now so he told me that the hemi and the hemi with e torque( aka both hemi engines) cane standard with start stop he clearly has his head up his ***

D

Deleted member 85

Kilgy5 said:
Hi, Dealer here.
We know nothing.

PS - I'm staring at a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie without E-Torque, and it does not have stop/start.

D

Deleted member103

BobbiBigWheels said:
Hi, Dealer here.
We know nothing.

PS - I'm staring at a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie without E-Torque, and it does not have stop/start.
I can confirm that Some of these "dealers" have LESS knowledge about this new DT than many of the people right here on the Forum that are NOT "in the business" ! Sadly, even "my-guy" at my Dealership ! But, I've informed him of at least 1 place he can pick up some good stuff -- Right here ! Hope he took the advice; I'll quiz him next time I stop by -- to see a DT in Patriot &/or MAX-Steel !

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the dealer is taking about the start and stop bush button ignition?

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since a few of us have blindly jumped of the cliff and ordered the Hemi with eTorque (myself included), is there any update on if they are being built yet?

Also, are there any badging differences with eTorque?

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Last I heard they were going to start building the Pentastar one in August so I am thinking the same with the Hemi. I want to drive one before committing on ordering one on my Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread