5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW 5.7L HEMI with eTorque

imadogman

Reaction score
The build site I used still shows $1,995. I know it went up to $2,645, but can you send me the link on where you saw that? Thank you!
Now I can only find the $1995 price on the build site. Maybe it was a mistake on their part.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been doing some test driving today. Drove a Limited without eTorque and loved the way it drove. Very smooth. Then I drove a Big Horn with eTorque. Obviously more road bumps without the air suspension, but I really didn't care for the feel of the eTorque at all. Although the shudder and noticeability is less on the Ram compared to the F150, it was still pretty present in my mind. But really didn't like the feel around corners at slow speeds when I let off the gas. It almost felt "stalled." Definitely not as smooth feeling. The salesman said that what I'm feeling is the regenerative braking (although i wasn't actually hitting the break). Said it does that at low speeds when not on the gas and that all hybrid vehicles do that same thing.

So I picked back up the Limited and drove back to my house to let my wife drive for a bit. Again, way better feel for me. So I know you can turn it off, but I'm considering ordering one without the eTorque entirely. I don't tow so I'm not really concerned about the whole low end torque improvement. I actually only put about 7K miles per year on my current vehicle, so don't really think I'll see the modest gas mpg improvement, even if I kept it turned on. But if I'm turning it off most times anyway, no real point in paying for something I don't like.

Off to let my wife drive this. Fingers crossed as this is the actual hurdle.. :ROFLMAO:

RT70808

Reaction score
Been doing some test driving today. Drove a Limited without eTorque and loved the way it drove. Very smooth. Then I drove a Big Horn with eTorque. Obviously more road bumps without the air suspension, but I really didn't care for the feel of the eTorque at all. Although the shudder and noticeability is less on the Ram compared to the F150, it was still pretty present in my mind. But really didn't like the feel around corners at slow speeds when I let off the gas. It almost felt "stalled." Definitely not as smooth feeling. The salesman said that what I'm feeling is the regenerative braking (although i wasn't actually hitting the break). Said it does that at low speeds when not on the gas and that all hybrid vehicles do that same thing.

So I picked back up the Limited and drove back to my house to let my wife drive for a bit. Again, way better feel for me. So I know you can turn it off, but I'm considering ordering one without the eTorque entirely. I don't tow so I'm not really concerned about the whole low end torque improvement. I actually only put about 7K miles per year on my current vehicle, so don't really think I'll see the modest gas mpg improvement, even if I kept it turned on. But if I'm turning it off most times anyway, no real point in paying for something I don't like.

Off to let my wife drive this. Fingers crossed as this is the actual hurdle.. :ROFLMAO:
GL. My wife has not driven ever the last 4 vehicles I’ve owned. I drive hers are the time, put gas in it, take it to the dealer for service etc..

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Keep in mind that you can turn the auto start/stop off but not the eTorque system itself. It will still give you that regenerative braking feeling. If it's something you do not like, definitely avoid it entirely and go with the regular Hemi.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first time I felt the regenerative braking, I immediately thought Jake brake (without the noise) in the semis I used to drive. You could also compare it to downshifting into a corner or stop.

No problems in the feel of the E-torque for me. Sure I'm aware when it stops because the engine vibration stops but all I get is the exhaust bark when it fires when I lift off the brake.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
The first time I felt the regenerative braking, I immediately thought Jake brake (without the noise) in the semis I used to drive. You could also compare it to downshifting into a corner or stop.

No problems in the feel of the E-torque for me. Sure I'm aware when it stops because the engine vibration stops but all I get is the exhaust bark when it fires when I lift off the brake.
Is there a setting for the aggressiveness of regen in settings menu? Many EVs have this setting and most owners begin to enjoy aggressive regen, which allows for one petal driving (feather the petal) once they get used to it. I for one am hoping for aggressive regen myself and am very curious how it will feel.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a setting for the aggressiveness of regen in settings menu? Many EVs have this setting and most owners begin to enjoy aggressive regen, which allows for one petal driving (feather the petal) once they get used to it. I for one am hoping for aggressive regen myself and am very curious how it will feel.

That is one of many features I haven't figured out. Not sure if there is a setting or not.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
The only minor issue I had, and have gotten used to with the e-Torque is when you are parking the vehicle. You have about 2 seconds to shift it into Park when the system is on otherwise it will shut off. If it does shutoff, then when you shift it into park it will start up, and you'll have to shut off the engine again manually.
I gotten used to it so I can shift it in time though. Otherwise no complaints.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw the price increase today to $2645 for the eTorque on the build and price website. When I had gone to the site previously it was $1995. I was seriously considering the eTorque for an additional $800 but not at all sure it’s worth $1450. Now I’m leaning against it. Hard to see that it will pay for itself in fuel savings in the 3-4 years I typically own a new truck. Anyone noticing any improved acceleration/torque?

If you love it, convince me that I really want it. Would you pay $1450 for it if you had to do it over again?

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Saw the price increase today to $2645 for the eTorque on the build and price website. When I had gone to the site previously it was $1995. I was seriously considering the eTorque for an additional $800 but not at all sure it’s worth $1450. Now I’m leaning against it. Hard to see that it will pay for itself in fuel savings in the 3-4 years I typically own a new truck. Anyone noticing any improved acceleration/torque?

If you love it, convince me that I really want it. Would you pay $1450 for it if you had to do it over again?

Do not listen to me because; a) I have not received my build or driven etorque, b) I can justify anything when making decisions on emotion.

However, f you keep you vehicle for 3-4 years, the value of the upgrade after that period of time is not zero. You may have the pleasure of driving the new tech truck in that time, save a little city mpg's, you pick up some of the residual value during trade/resale, and you are not paying full msrp anyway.

There I justified it for you

Ramajama

Reaction score

When I test drove one I noticed very little difference in acceleration and torque. Maybe a little bit for a very short period of time. The system is designed to be unrecognizable. It will net you a little bit of gas savings. There’s no denying that but as of right now, it looks like Payback would take several years. More time than most typical owners will have their trucks. It’s neat and it’s a little better mousetrap for gaining fuel economy than what others are doing, but it ain’t quite there yet in offering enough savings IMHO. (At least Ford is giving people MORE power LOL) Definitely No shame in buying a truck with etorque though.
I hope it turns out better in the real world than initial impressions are representing. It could??
With my driving style I’ve never had trouble getting 17-19 mpg from my RAMs week in, week out. Now days that I’m driving a Power Wagon, I even get higher MPG than most other PW owners. Lol so If I were in the market for a half ton, personally I’d pass on etorque. I’m just glad RAM gives people the choice with the HEMI.

Last edited:

Ramajama

Reaction score
Do not listen to me because; a) I have not received my build or driven etorque, b) I can justify anything when making decisions on emotion.

However, f you keep you vehicle for 3-4 years, the value of the upgrade after that period of time is not zero. You may have the pleasure of driving the new tech truck in that time, save a little city mpg's, you pick up some of the residual value during trade/resale, and you are not paying full msrp anyway.

There I justified it for you

Problem is that, if etorque don’t deliver, it won’t net you any extra residual value, it would be flat or you’ll lose value.. even worse, if it’s problematic....well then you’ve got yourself a nice boat anchor. What happens if RAM abandons it in three years? OR what if it makes a quantum leap forward in performance in three years? Will you be able to even give the truck away? Not sayin that’s gonna happen but it’s too new to justify it in added value just yet. This is a leap of faith. With RAM not really bothering to market or explain it on a large scale, makes it more so. Here we all are STILL trying to figure out freakin etorque. LOL!!:LOL:

Believemeustink

Reaction score
Another benefit of etorque that is rarely brought up is the regenerative brake. My initial readings on RB has shown that it can be very beneficial overtime with brake maintenance repair.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Problem is that, if etorque don’t deliver, it won’t net you any extra residual value, it would be flat or you’ll lose value.. even worse, if it’s problematic....well then you’ve got yourself a nice boat anchor. What happens if RAM abandons it in three years? OR what if it makes a quantum leap forward in performance in three years? Will you be able to even give the truck away? Not sayin that’s gonna happen but it’s too new to justify it in added value just yet. This is a leap of faith. With RAM not really bothering to market or explain it on a large scale, makes it more so. Here we all are STILL trying to figure out freakin etorque. LOL!!:LOL:

The 48v mild hybrid system is not going to be unique to Ram. The parts are from tier 1 suppliers and will be found in more and more vehicles. Grabbed a quick article at the top of Google search:

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-upcoming-48-volt-1790364465

Technology is very iterative, so I would expect it to improve with time, maybe assist more beyond stop/start. This is a fairly basic system with a small battery pack. Increasing capability, for instance, would probably require more advanced cooling, reprogramming, battery materials, etc (ie expense).

My assessment when I was deciding was it was going to be a leap of faith to dive into the newer tech, but the tech was not far out there and is being supplied to other cars. The system is not overly complicated so I don't expect problems.

My biggest hangup was on stop/start feature and if I would notice it. I absolutely hated the first gen tech in a rental car I drove, but the lithium battery and 48v system seems to take care of the biggest issue of smoothing out the rough starts. I have gotten used to regen braking on EV's and want as much of it as I can get for my commute.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still wonder why the 12V starter is still required for cold starts? Dropping that would shave another, what, 25 lbs off?

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
The 48v mild hybrid system is not going to be unique to Ram. The parts are from tier 1 suppliers and will be found in more and more vehicles. Grabbed a quick article at the top of Google search:

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-upcoming-48-volt-1790364465

Technology is very iterative, so I would expect it to improve with time, maybe assist more beyond stop/start. This is a fairly basic system with a small battery pack. Increasing capability, for instance, would probably require more advanced cooling, reprogramming, battery materials, etc (ie expense).

My assessment when I was deciding was it was going to be a leap of faith to dive into the newer tech, but the tech was not far out there and is being supplied to other cars. The system is not overly complicated so I don't expect problems.

My biggest hangup was on stop/start feature and if I would notice it. I absolutely hated the first gen tech in a rental car I drove, but the lithium battery and 48v system seems to take care of the biggest issue of smoothing out the rough starts. I have gotten used to regen braking on EV's and want as much of it as I can get for my commute.

Thinking about the packaging constraints, I'd imagine it would be easier for a Ram 1500 to fit a P2 system than, say, a midsize sedan. Going out on a limb here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ram implement a full P2 system in the next gen 1500. Then again, I could also see a P3/P4 system if the tech has advanced enough in the next few years before Ram really starts cracking on the next gen 1500 powertrain.

Users who are viewing this thread