5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well the new one is in. Tuesday was a bust but their glass guy fit it in today. There were no visible cracks until they pulled the old one, then they found cracks in the upper corners.

20220331_173857-1.jpg

ACovelle

Reaction score
I just noticed this same issue today after reading through the forums. One month left on my 3year/36,000 mile warranty and decided to check for any major issues. Sure enough, two cracks above the rear window frame.

A lot of people here have been saying to contact Ram Cares or FCA if the dealer tries to stiff-arm you (I'm expecting them to because, dealers). Not familiar with this process, can anyone tell me how to contact ram cares on here, or who exactly I should be talking to at Ram to make sure this gets covered?

Thanks

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just noticed this same issue today after reading through the forums. One month left on my 3year/36,000 mile warranty and decided to check for any major issues. Sure enough, two cracks above the rear window frame.

A lot of people here have been saying to contact Ram Cares or FCA if the dealer tries to stiff-arm you (I'm expecting them to because, dealers). Not familiar with this process, can anyone tell me how to contact ram cares on here, or who exactly I should be talking to at Ram to make sure this gets covered?

Thanks
If you are still under warranty, take it in, they will fix it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you are still under warranty, take it in, they will fix it.
^^This. At least make an appointment right away. Many dealerships have long lead times for even looking at a customer issue. It would be a shame if your warranty expired while you were waiting for your truck to be seen.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^This. At least make an appointment right away. Many dealerships have long lead times for even looking at a customer issue. It would be a shame if your warranty expired while you were waiting for your truck to be seen.
as long as the repair order was written up before the warranty expired, the truck can be there past the warranty dates and will still be covered.

ACovelle

Reaction score
appointment is set with them for 2 weeks from now. Good news is that I don't see any water damage so maybe its just cosmetically cracked in the plastic frame and no actual seals.

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_081702.jpg
    IMG_20220405_081702.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20220405_081729.jpg
    IMG_20220405_081729.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20220405_081655__01.jpg
    IMG_20220405_081655__01.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 100

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The crack will eventually grow and get pass the seal and then you will have a leak. I haven't gotten the crack yet, but I suspect I will, I maybe out of warranty by then.

I may actually go the sealant route instead, applying sealant over the crack from the 3rd brake light opening and then covering the interior cracks with a black decal or something similar. It will be less invasive than replacing the window, and far less expensive out of warranty of course, especially since I'm not convinced yet they actually fixed the design of the window.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this only happening on certain model years or do I have to look forward to this when my order comes in? I didn't have any issues on my 2014.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To be honest, not sure yet. Both RAM and GM (Silverado & Sierra) have this leaking window problem, primarily they use the same two vendors who supply similar style windows.

I'm on both forums since we also a Silverado, and neither seem to have any confirmation this issue has been fixed. However, not really sure and not sure if everyone will have the issue either.

DocThee

Reaction score
Just heard back from the Dealer today, looks like $1,750 for a replacement. I have a 2019 1500 Limited and I'm out of B2B warranty. I do have a case open with @RamCares. Hopefully they will be able to help. This issue is ridiculous.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
appointment is set with them for 2 weeks from now. Good news is that I don't see any water damage so maybe its just cosmetically cracked in the plastic frame and no actual seals.
Damn, I saw your pics and realized mine has been cracked in the same spots for at least 10,000 miles… but it’s not leaking

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve asked this before but nobody’s given an answer on it. Anybody thought about putting the solid rear window in their truck? Look wise it’s not as great but wouldn’t have to worry about any issues after that. I would assume the solid rear window would fit but maybe I’m wrong

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve asked this before but nobody’s given an answer on it. Anybody thought about putting the solid rear window in their truck? Look wise it’s not as great but wouldn’t have to worry about any issues after that. I would assume the solid rear window would fit but maybe I’m wrong
I can see no reason why it can't be fitted into your truck. The base level Tradesman comes with a solid rear window, but can be optioned with the slider. And there's no difference in the cab sheet metal between models. I'd be talking with the parts guy at my local dealership if I wanted to do something like that because Mopar lists two different part numbers for the solid rear glass. I'm guessing that one is tinted (dyed) glass and one is clear, but I really don't know for sure. Mopar's parts descriptions kind of suck for stuff like this.

kraz

Reaction score
Reading this thread made me go check my truck especially since its raining here in cleveland ohio. I have a 2020 1500 big horn. My window frame doesn't appear to be cracked but I do have a small amount of water getting in.
I'm currently at 23k miles.

Edit: after further review, I can definitely see the liner is stained all the way across. Will the dealer replace the liner or atleast have it cleaned?

Attachments

• 20220411_185213.jpg
    20220411_185213.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220411_185226.jpg
    20220411_185226.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

robrob

Reaction score
IMG_6076.jpg

2020 / 13k miles Laramie. My original dealer is like 90 minutes outside the city, so I made an online appointment with nearest large dealer/service center. They didn't give me any gruff and just called to say they ordered a new rear window and headliner, both parts backordered, but will take care of it shortly.

Honestly kinda surprised that was that hassle free.

Wwbar

Reaction score
Have been driving with a replacement rear window for 2 months now, through Virginia rain. Several big storms and ultra heavy down pours + garden hose testing and car washes. No leaks. Carmax warranty replacement.

Damon79

Reaction score
Just noticed the leak a week ago and due to very rainy weather in Wisconsin I decided to pull it in the shop and take a look. At first I thought it was the third brake light, because I installed the Recon led housing. It definitely is not that. You can see in the picture that it is cracked and both sides, in the cab, and on the outside are cracked. I'm going to the dealership Monday, so wish me luck. 20220422_150155.jpg

RajD1992

Reaction score
Well it finally happened the rear window frame has cracked and leaking bad so i make an appointment with the dealer ( Merrick Ram,Jeep,Dodge on long island) that i bought the truck from new 2 years ago now has 21,000 miles and i have the 8 year 85,000 mile extended bumper to bumper platinum to boot. I first noticed the leak and sealed the rear brake light with electrical tape and still leaked bad then i taped the top edge of the glass and bingo no more leak and dried out the seat and carpet. the dealer calls me today and says the leak was the third brake light so i mentioned the window frame crack again and they made out like this is the first time they have heard of it ( i know of 5 people with the same truck and 3 had the rear window replaced and the other 2 have their fingers crossed). the service manager said the the plastic that is cracked is only a trim piece and replacing it would not be covered under warranty. so after some attitude i will pick the truck up tomorrow and take up the fight with FCA but i dont expect much because they never got back to me the last time. View attachment 113948 View attachment 113949
Ram cares are you on here ?
Same situation happened to me and Ram Cares helped a local dealership in Southern California replace the glass and seal it under warranty. This dealership is trying to BS you. I would file a formal complaint.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same situation happened to me and Ram Cares helped a local dealership in Southern California replace the glass and seal it under warranty. This dealership is trying to BS you. I would file a formal complaint.
He said earlier on that he took it back to the same dealer and showed them it had a leak after it rained and they agreed to replace it under warranty

DocThee

Reaction score
Just heard back from the Dealer today, looks like $1,750 for a replacement. I have a 2019 1500 Limited and I'm out of B2B warranty. I do have a case open with @RamCares. Hopefully they will be able to help. This issue is ridiculous.

It looks like my case is closed without the rear window being replaced. I was hoping for an escalation and a vetting process. Well, there goes $1,800 I didn't need.

It's very fortunate if you're able to get this repaired at no cost while out of warranty.

1650993417657.png

Users who are viewing this thread