5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, add mine to the list. Noticed a small trickle of water inside the passenger side rear window this morning in about the same location as cevans6318's. Dealer service appointment scheduled for Monday. 13,700 miles. :cautious:

View attachment 121062
keep us updated. I still haven't made an appointment yet with the dealer. I'm lazy, I should take the time to get it over there.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
keep us updated. I still haven't made an appointment yet with the dealer. I'm lazy, I should take the time to get it over there.
Just got back and they said they found a crack in the third brake light near the screw hole. Said they should have one delivered by tomorrow. Here's hoping it's just that...

They also ordered a new clock spring for the steering, but it's on backorder and they'll let me know when they get the three they have on order in.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back and they said they found a crack in the third brake light near the screw hole. Said they should have one delivered by tomorrow. Here's hoping it's just that...

They also ordered a new clock spring for the steering, but it's on backorder and they'll let me know when they get the three they have on order in.
I know mine is not the third brake light because I had the water only flowing over the passenger corner of the back glass and it leaks in. Sounds like they didn't even leak check it. Find it hard to believe a small crack in the third brake light will cause the leak to travel to the back corner of the glass. But who knows. This is exactly why I don't want to go to the dealer. I already know where the leak is, don't need the dealer to start guessing at ****.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know mine is not the third brake light because I had the water only flowing over the passenger corner of the back glass and it leaks in. Sounds like they didn't even leak check it. Find it hard to believe a small crack in the third brake light will cause the leak to travel to the back corner of the glass. But who knows. This is exactly why I don't want to go to the dealer. I already know where the leak is, don't need the dealer to start guessing at ****.
I can't actually verify if they leak checked it or not. They said they did and it's on the work order, but the truck was out of sight back in their service area. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You could actually see the two cracks on mine. The common area for this is on either side of the sliding window. Mine was cracked on both.

Reaction score
My 2020 limited was cracked in the usual 2 spots and leaking bad. Dealership told me FCA window warranty is only good for one year... Ended up getting it replaced by the dealership writing up the back window had a bad rear defrost. Glass shop had it for 2 days and I haven't had an issue since.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2020 limited was cracked in the usual 2 spots and leaking bad. Dealership told me FCA window warranty is only good for one year... Ended up getting it replaced by the dealership writing up the back window had a bad rear defrost. Glass shop had it for 2 days and I haven't had an issue since.
I think the dealership lied to you. It's covered under the 3 year 36 month factory b to b warranty. My daughter had hers replaced under warranty less than a month before it expired.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the dealership lied to you. It's covered under the 3 year 36 month factory b to b warranty. My daughter had hers replaced under warranty less than a month before it expired.
If only... I don't know what's all included in Big Stella's definition of "rear window".

rwin.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If only... I don't know what's all included in Big Stella's definition of "rear window".

View attachment 121429
And that's the problem...interpretation of the language in the warranty. That's a poorly written statement. Lots of people in this forum and other forums claim to have gotten their rear windows replaced under warranty because of this issue with leaking. And most of their trucks were more than 1 year old or had more than 12k miles.

Wwbar

Reaction score
Some good news. I've got a service appt with CarMax for the rear window next week (first available appt). I mentioned the leaks and cracks on the interior. Without too much information given to me, I've been assured the limited warranty will provide a fix. I'll keep y'all posted.
Got the truck back yesterday after having to wait 3 days for the window to come in and 3rd party glass company to have availability. So new assembly is in, very clean install, no issues with headliner or scratches. Rear window operating as expected. Will check defrost in the morning.

Had decent rain today, and I can confirm no leaks! So far so good. We've got rain all week, so I'll continue checking.

Also thought I'd share the following about the window leak from a glass installer:

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And that's the problem...interpretation of the language in the warranty. That's a poorly written statement. Lots of people in this forum and other forums claim to have gotten their rear windows replaced under warranty because of this issue with leaking. And most of their trucks were more than 1 year old or had more than 12k miles.
Yup. I'd assume it meant the glass for both the windshield and the rear window and not leaks if the glass is intact... but you know what they say about assuming. 🤷‍♂️

Jesus384286

Reaction score
FCA redesigned the rear window/frame with new parts released in late 2020.

There is an official starcase for this issue from Jan 2021 that can be referenced/found by dealers that actually try....

Another cracked frame thread elsewhere.

Here's a link to the Star Case # S2023000005 describing the issue...

** my 19 Laramie 1500 DT did this during a heavy rain (both sides) and I was able to get mine replaced.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
can we take this to the dealership and this might help get it replaced for free?

jman307

Reaction score
I have hellwig no cracks yet on a 2020 knock on wood. My question is are the ones cracking in cold weather climates. Could it be caused by the expansion and shrinking of the metal. I’m in Florida doesn’t get awfully cold here except this week. Maybe someone should poll where people live that have the cracks. Probably not it but just a thought.
I'm in FL as well, 2019 1500 and rear window frame cracked in both spots above the sliding window portion, **** design if you ask me. I have no leaks yet but what alerted me to an issue is that my rear cabin started rattling with music and that's when I saw the 2 cracks. Taking to dealer Friday.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I'm in FL as well, 2019 1500 and rear window frame cracked in both spots above the sliding window portion, **** design if you ask me. I have no leaks yet but what alerted me to an issue is that my rear cabin started rattling with music and that's when I saw the 2 cracks. Taking to dealer Friday.
Well there goes that theory, I hope your still under warranty!

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well... had the third brake light replaced yesterday, still leaked. Just got back from the dealer and they tried to reseal it and checked the antenna. Still leaked. No cracks and they can't figure out where it's coming from, so they've ordered a new rear window and said it should be here within two or three days.🤞

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well... had the third brake light replaced yesterday, still leaked. Just got back from the dealer and they tried to reseal it and checked the antenna. Still leaked. No cracks and they can't figure out where it's coming from, so they've ordered a new rear window and said it should be here within two or three days.🤞
sounds like your dealer is retarded. if you have water entering the vehicle from either the 3rd brake light, top roof antenna or the back window, should be easy as pie to diagnosis it. With the back wall panel off and headliner off, water entering the vehicle from one of those 3 should be pretty cut and dry.

Ram-583

Reaction score
I read in one of the RAM Facebook groups that the rear window may have been fixed for 2022 model's? Can anyone confirm that?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2 week old '22 isn't leaking, so it must be fixed :LOL:

But seriously, it doesn't appear to be any different than my '20, cosmetically at least.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems like this claim has been made for every model year since 2020. I can say the wife's 2020 Limited has the cracks in the usual places, but it hasn't started leaking yet. We haven't taken it in yet, but plan to soon. Only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread