5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd probably try to fix it myself if I otherwise really liked the truck. If the CHMSL is leaking, you can try just replacing the brake light (something like $40 for a new one), or replace the gasket on your original light with a better seal. If it's the rear window frame you can try fixing it with some kind of sealant. Carefully run a bead into the top of the window frame. Mask off the paint and window frame where you don't want to get sealant. Extended warranties won't cover glass. Even though it's the frame that's causing the issue, it's considered part of the glass and isn't covered.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to actually checking mine to see what’s leaking. with the water running in the back corner, it starts to drip in. Looks like it is just the glass to the body that needs to be resealed.

Attachments

• 374D914C-6E07-4122-8EFD-CD9192CD58D1.jpeg
    374D914C-6E07-4122-8EFD-CD9192CD58D1.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 161
  • AF1D4729-F9A8-4855-B14B-C561F2709696.jpeg
    AF1D4729-F9A8-4855-B14B-C561F2709696.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 164
  • A4886D24-E8C9-403F-8258-4248AD996DAE.jpeg
    A4886D24-E8C9-403F-8258-4248AD996DAE.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 161

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd probably try to fix it myself if I otherwise really liked the truck. If the CHMSL is leaking, you can try just replacing the brake light (something like $40 for a new one), or replace the gasket on your original light with a better seal. If it's the rear window frame you can try fixing it with some kind of sealant. Carefully run a bead into the top of the window frame. Mask off the paint and window frame where you don't want to get sealant. Extended warranties won't cover glass. Even though it's the frame that's causing the issue, it's considered part of the glass and isn't covered.
that has to be a stupid dodge only issue. I work for mercedes Benz and the ext warranty covers sunroof frames when the frame has an issue. If its a panoramic roof, they get a new frame with new glass. regular sunroof is the frame, no glass.

Wwbar

Reaction score
If Not only do you need a new rear window, but I would ask for a new headliner as well.
The headliner is in almost perfect shape. Just a tiny bit of staining, that's really hard to see.

And I now can confirm the leak. Sat in truck last night during a multi hour rain. Nothing too heavy, just steady at times down to a medium drizzle. I could see moisture building in both top corners of the rear windshield, with some running down both edges and settling in the lower window track. I don't want to think about what a heavy rain or thunderstorm would bring. I'll give CarMax Warranty a call to see if they'd replace the rear window and possibly the rear brake light. If not, sad to say, I'll return it.

Thanks for all the input!

Wwbar

Reaction score
Some good news. I've got a service appt with CarMax for the rear window next week (first available appt). I mentioned the leaks and cracks on the interior. Without too much information given to me, I've been assured the limited warranty will provide a fix. I'll keep y'all posted.

Camelot

Reaction score
Don't accept anything else than a complete replacement. They (RAM) had to replace mine within the first two months of having the truck. You think at Gen 5 they know how to assemble this.....Maybe Gen 6 will be better :)

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
Finally got around to actually checking mine to see what’s leaking. with the water running in the back corner, it starts to drip in. Looks like it is just the glass to the body that needs to be resealed.

Mine leaked in the exact same spot…..entire back window was replaced

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine leaked in the exact same spot…..entire back window was replaced
Trying to find a good dealer to take it to in my area. all have a ****ty reputation. I figured the glass would probably have to be replaced. Even on pro demand, the instructions specify it may need to be replaced when removed due to damage.

JCK_25

Reaction score
Just picked my truck up after having the rear glass & frame replaced. I've had the truck for 2.5 years and have 32,500 miles so everything was covered under warranty. Cost being billed to Ram was $895. Dropped my truck off last night (so it could warm in their garage overnight) then I picked it up end of day today. Very pleased. I noticed on the new glass what looks.like a rubber bumper of some sort at the bottom back of the sliding piece. Does this stay on the window? Also I didn't see a part number listed on the invoice but I'm assuming it's the most recent version of the back glass that has the corrected parts.
936e92c99f27ac9121a2e86b5102adf0.jpg
ee576c0b46509ab170a5d9f7cba55476.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just picked my truck up after having the rear glass & frame replaced. I've had the truck for 2.5 years and have 32,500 miles so everything was covered under warranty. Cost being billed to Ram was $895. Dropped my truck off last night (so it could warm in their garage overnight) then I picked it up end of day today. Very pleased. I noticed on the new glass what looks.like a rubber bumper of some sort at the bottom back of the sliding piece. Does this stay on the window? Also I didn't see a part number listed on the invoice but I'm assuming it's the most recent version of the back glass that has the corrected parts.

Thanks for posting that. I'm pretty sure the rubber piece is a stop, and you should leave it there. I think my 2021 has that rubber piece, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I can look when I get home from work if I remember.

I'd suggest you check the rear defroster grid to make sure it's working. My daughter had her rear window replaced under warranty last August, and didn't find out until she tried using her rear defroster earlier this week that it's not working. Her 2019 Rebel is no longer under warranty, and she's concerned she'll have to pay out of pocket now that it's expired. She has an appointment for early next week so we'll find out then. She gets her truck serviced regularly by this dealership so I'm confident they'll repair this at their cost since it's likely something simple like forgetting to plug the wires in.

Edit: I just checked my Limited, and it has the same rubber piece that your picture shows. It's supposed to be there.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That is part of your rear window defroster circuit for the slider, leave it alone!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. I'm pretty sure the rubber piece is a stop, and you should leave it there. I think my 2021 has that rubber piece, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I can look when I get home from work if I remember.

I'd suggest you check the rear defroster grid to make sure it's working. My daughter had her rear window replaced under warranty last August, and didn't find out until she tried using her rear defroster earlier this week that it's not working. Her 2019 Rebel is no longer under warranty, and she's concerned she'll have to pay out of pocket now that it's expired. She has an appointment for early next week so we'll find out then. She gets her truck serviced regularly by this dealership so I'm confident they'll repair this at their cost since it's likely something simple like forgetting to plug the wires in.
Had my rear window replaced under warranty, defroster stopped working due to failed solder-joint on a tab.
We are not alone. Search "wrangler rear window defrost failure" might get some hits...

Last edited:

JCK_25

Reaction score

Absolutely. Will be heading out early tomorrow morning and should get frosty overnight. Will make sure it's all working.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

how long did it initially take for them to diagnosis it, get approval from FCA for replacement and get in the new glass before you brought it back in?

JCK_25

Reaction score
how long did it initially take for them to diagnosis it, get approval from FCA for replacement and get in the new glass before you brought it back in?
I took it down last Thursday for "pictures" & the dealer contacted me on Tuesday. Dropped off yesterday, picked up today. All in all a very quick/smooth process.

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
Trying to find a good dealer to take it to in my area. all have a ****ty reputation. I figured the glass would probably have to be replaced. Even on pro demand, the instructions specify it may need to be replaced when removed due to damage.

I went to a dealership in CA. First appointment I didn’t even have to get out of the truck. They came out took pictures and said they will reschedule me when FCA approves repairs….got a call a couple hours later saying repair was approved
2 weeks later it was replaced. Issue is most dealerships subcontract the glass work out. In my case they used a sloppy glass company that left broken glass in my bed and scratched the hell out of the paint inside the window channel.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to a dealership in CA. First appointment I didn’t even have to get out of the truck. They came out took pictures and said they will reschedule me when FCA approves repairs….got a call a couple hours later saying repair was approved
2 weeks later it was replaced. Issue is most dealerships subcontract the glass work out. In my case they used a sloppy glass company that left broken glass in my bed and scratched the hell out of the paint inside the window channel.
Considering mine is leaking from the top right corner and not a crack in the frame, im sure they are gonna want to verify the leak. I have pictures and videos but I'm sure they won't use those. That is also my fear that they will use some hack glass shop that will mess up the truck.

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
Considering mine is leaking from the top right corner and not a crack in the frame, im sure they are gonna want to verify the leak. I have pictures and videos but I'm sure they won't use those. That is also my fear that they will use some hack glass shop that will mess up the truck.

mine was doing the exact same thing as yours and wasn’t cracked. Mopar knows these things have issues. Why waste a techs time knowing it’s faulty. They will just replace it.

Andy G

Reaction score
They will replace it. They aren't going to test if it is leaking. Just say it is and get it fixed. Had mine fixed. They came out and took pics and sent it in to FCA and it was approved and replaced. Easy.
same here, mine on 2020 bighorn got replaced last month.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, add mine to the list. Noticed a small trickle of water inside the passenger side rear window this morning in about the same location as cevans6318's. Dealer service appointment scheduled for Monday. 13,700 miles. :cautious:

ETA: I do not have the cracks in the plastic above the slider.

20220219_084211.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread