5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tazer has voided my warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Man, after reading all this, I will definitely unmarry and take my Tazer DT out before I go in for any service. What about a Pedal Commander/Roar Pedal? Is that considered a "tune", too? How about aftermarket stereo equipment? Is that a "tune''? Pun intended.

I am sorry for all this trouble you're going though. Sounds awful. FCA need to step up and fix your crap. Ridiculous!

I take my PC out before oil changes. I will now revert to factory on the wheel size when I take it in to RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If someone beats the crap out of their truck, it's not going to show the first yr or 2. Also, not everything shows up on those service reports. Depends on where they brought it & if it was recorded or not.
I’m not talking about oil changes or somebody beating the crap out of their truck the first couple years of ownership. I talking about major issues like tranny replacements or engine replacements or basically any signs that a vehicle has been trouble. Your never going to know how somebody drove a vehicle. But you can ask for service records by vin from the dealer and get carfax report. You can at least do everything in your power to get the history of the vehicle.

a dealer can’t erase warranty history from a vehicles records. They have to be approved by FCA

Last edited:

Ramjack

Reaction score
Sue in small claims court. Cost is minimal but it will take a couple hours of time. No attorney needed. In fact, better without one. FCA will try to talk you out of taking them to court. They won't want to send an attorney. Be prepared with the Magnuson Moss research in case they bring that up. The judge will want you to compromise with them (through mediation outside the courtroom with a retired lawyer or retired judge) so you won't get everything you want but you'll get something. Be nice and soft-spoken. Let them act like an a$$. Judges like to help "the little guy."

EDIT: Check the written warranty to see if it requires you to go through mediation before filing a legal claim. That might even be better for you. Remember, Magnuson-Moss says the burden of proof is on them; not just to prove that you had a Tazer connected, but to prove it caused the problem. They can't do that, especially since they cannot articulate what's wrong with the truck.

What state are you in? Each state has a limit that you can claim in small claims court. KY and RI suck at $2,500. Others are as much as $25,000.

Last edited:

Klicht87

Reaction score
Reading all these responses for this guy to sell his truck makes me NEVER want to buy used EVER again. I feel bad for the next person who gets stuck with this p.o.s. !! I've been on this forum awhile now. I can testify the vast majority of problems with Ram trucks are on 2019's that were bought used. U have no idea how bad the last guy beat the crap out of it !!!!
Although they may be bad investments, I always buy new. I like the fact that I'm the first driver/owner and I know exactly how it's driven. A benefit of buying a slightly used is if they dealer offers a certified extended warranty, usually greater than the factory.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not ecu impacted. it's like VW doing a scan and if the PCM has changes from the last factory config it gets flagged as TD1. It does not automatically void the warranty. Dealers who say that are ignorant morons asking to be sued. It means they have to look and document that whatever was changed is not being warrantied. That means for me say installing OEM HID and a highline BECM makes the TD1 flag, but does not void the warranty. it means I don't have a factory warranty on the aftermarket OEM parts I added and if say my AC compressor died they can't deny that warranty.

That example was a very painful and expensive lesson for a VW dealer here BTW. I do not play these games. "lawyers are expensive" is why they get away with this crap and I have yet to ever get stuck with a bill, I always know my rights and I always come out ahead and crush dealers and manufacturers doing this crap. Magnuson Moss Warranty act is 99% on the consumer side if you take it to court, they are going to lose unless you've done something very blatant.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
It's not ecu impacted. it's like VW doing a scan and if the PCM has changes from the last factory config it gets flagged as TD1. It does not automatically void the warranty. Dealers who say that are ignorant morons asking to be sued. It means they have to look and document that whatever was changed is not being warrantied. That means for me say installing OEM HID and a highline BECM makes the TD1 flag, but does not void the warranty. it means I don't have a factory warranty on the aftermarket OEM parts I added and if say my AC compressor died they can't deny that warranty.

That example was a very painful and expensive lesson for a VW dealer here BTW. I do not play these games. "lawyers are expensive" is why they get away with this crap and I have yet to ever get stuck with a bill, I always know my rights and I always come out ahead and crush dealers and manufacturers doing this crap. Magnuson Moss Warranty act is 99% on the consumer side if you take it to court, they are going to lose unless you've done something very blatant.
I used my Tazer to reset tire size and to turn on fog lights with high beams. Every “mod” I make to my truck is for functionality and longevity. It is a very well-loved truck.

I removed/unmarried my Tazer and pedal commander and the truck still has the issue that was present before I installed the Tazer. I did remove the driveshaft this weekend and the bump disappeared when cycling the suspension. So the issue is in the 2-piece driveshaft or transmission. My money is that it is the driveshaft.
This is an issue I have read about in 4th and 5th gen rams. Much like the exhaust manifolds, the problem exists without a solution/fix. That’s lazy engineering.
Like I mentioned before, they don’t have a case, and I am going to follow up with a lemon law attorney in the near future.

Madtrucker03

Reaction score
What is a locked VIN? The VIN is the VIN and cannot be altered. Did you not UNMARRY it and uninstall it before taking it in for service???
I think he is saying that the after market part he installed made his truck VIN become locked out meaning it will show no can do for any warranty work covered by Ram. That is why you wait the 3 yrs then do any thing you want to the truck, That just cost him some major money.

Madtrucker03

Reaction score
Lemon Laws vary by State. He may no longer be eligible or meet the required guidelines. Even if he was eligible, once RAM determines he "screwed" with the ECU...he's screwed and a Lemon Law will not help him! It is like fighting the Federal Government...better off just to trade it in for a new truck if he can.
The ECU is considered proprietary and you brake the law when you access the wall behind scanning

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If someone beats the crap out of their truck, it's not going to show the first yr or 2. Also, not everything shows up on those service reports. Depends on where they brought it & if it was recorded or not.

Lots of ways to tell if a vehicle has been abused or not without or no service history

BowDown

Reaction score
Sue in small claims court. Cost is minimal but it will take a couple hours of time. No attorney needed. In fact, better without one. FCA will try to talk you out of taking them to court. They won't want to send an attorney. Be prepared with the Magnuson Moss research in case they bring that up. The judge will want you to compromise with them (through mediation outside the courtroom with a retired lawyer or retired judge) so you won't get everything you want but you'll get something. Be nice and soft-spoken. Let them act like an a$$. Judges like to help "the little guy."

EDIT: Check the written warranty to see if it requires you to go through mediation before filing a legal claim. That might even be better for you. Remember, Magnuson-Moss says the burden of proof is on them; not just to prove that you had a Tazer connected, but to prove it caused the problem. They can't do that, especially since they cannot articulate what's wrong with the truck.

What state are you in? Each state has a limit that you can claim in small claims court. KY and RI suck at $2,500. Others are as much as $25,000.

The owner tampered with the PCM/BCM, thats automatic void of warranty, what exactly are you going to file suit based on, that the device is not supposed to leave a trail of me tampering?

BowDown

Reaction score
IMO, the dealer may or may not know whats going on with the trans but the OP gave them an easy out by tampering with the PCM using a Tazer and SGW. It doesn't matter if his actions or the Tazers actions caused the trans to fail, you tampering with the PCM is an automatics catch all foul. I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand but its been this way for a while now and the reason the PCM is encrypted in the 1st place.

"The door was locked and deadbolted (the PCM encryption) but you kicked it in anyway and just looked around because now the door was open and you were there? Yes your honor but I didn't steal anything. Boy, that's still burglary"

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait a minute. The Tazer connects to the OBD port under the steering wheel and must remain plugged in to work…correct? If the dealer hooked up their system to the OBD port then they had to unplug your Tazer first …correct? I doubt anything came up in the system to cause them to lock it as much as the Service Writer documented the fact it was plugged in and he had to remove it, install his plug and then reinstall the Tazer after his unit read the system.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wait a minute. The Tazer connects to the OBD port under the steering wheel and must remain plugged in to work…correct? If the dealer hooked up their system to the OBD port then they had to unplug your Tazer first …correct? I doubt anything came up in the system to cause them to lock it as much as the Service Writer documented the fact it was plugged in and he had to remove it, install his plug and then reinstall the Tazer after his unit read the system.
Incorrect...it replaces the Security Gateway Module up under the dash. ZERO to do with the OBD port. You unplug the two cables from the SGW and the Tazer installs in its place.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Incorrect...it replaces the Security Gateway Module up under the dash. ZERO to do with the OBD port. You unplug the two cables from the SGW and the Tazer installs in its place.
So what does installing the Tazer sacrifice by plugging in the SGW?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, question....are they able to determine if the SGW has been bypassed in the past? For example, if you installed passive entry onto your RAM and needed to temporarily bypass the SGW for the alphaODB update to the BCM.

Or did this guy just leave his bypass in while the truck went to the dealer?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, question....are they able to determine if the SGW has been bypassed in the past? For example, if you installed passive entry onto your RAM and needed to temporarily bypass the SGW for the alphaODB update to the BCM.

Or did this guy just leave his bypass in while the truck went to the dealer?
He left his Tazer plugged in when going to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread